over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Philosophy that has helped along the Journey

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
I wanted to create a thread focused on philosophy, quotes, therapy or anything of note that we’ve found helpful in dealing with stress and that has increased the quality of our lives. Please feel free to leave simple statements, share quotes, post videos along that helps convey your message.

Obviously I am a veteran. As an Infantry Marine I served in Iraq and earned my Combat Action Ribbon the good old fashioned way. Some of the ways that I had adapted in order to excel in combat did not translate well to the life after war, go figure right.
Through all the various forms of therapy, which all helped to varying degrees, what I found most helpful and most impactful was a shift of mind. This change was brought on primarily through philosophy. I am most fond of Taoism and Stoicism and I find many similarities between the two.

I will start the thread off my leaving a quick video which introduces Stoicism as well as an a introduction to one of the most prominent Stoic Philosophers, and whom is seek wisdom from more so than any other Stoic, Epictetus. Epictetus lived as a slave in the Roman Empire. Like Andy Dufresne, Epictetus understood the power of the mind. He understood that we as individuals can possess inner peace even if we are faced with bleak or even terrible circumstances. By first understanding that there are circumstances in which we are directly in control of but in most cases things are out of our control. By learning to accept the latter and embracing the role that we find ourselves in. Seeking purpose in everything that we give our energy towards.

My hope is that this thread becomes a comfort and an outlet that one can turn to in the darker times. Rather than giving advice we can share the wisdom of philosophers and prominent figures in history that we believe will help.

You can learn a lot from the Stoics. Epictetus in #1 in the Enchiridion speaks of knowing what you can control and what you cannot. If you focus on that distinction, you can ease a significant amount of frustration. Seneca and Marcus Aurelius are gold as well, but for the most bang for the buck, the Enchiridion or Handbook is gold. But to really manifest what the Stoics taught, especially with Epictetus, you need take a passage a day and reflect on it all day consciously. How does this impact my life? Am I letting appearances get the better of me? What has my conception brought to this moment? Does it need to be corrected?

Most people don't do that with Stoics. But historically, Stoicism was a way of life, not just a philosophy. You lived it. And to live it, it has to be integrated into all that you do.

More than you probably wanted, but I teach Stoicism every semester. I've seen it positively impact students, especially those who struggle with anger and frustration.

You can learn a lot from the Stoics. Epictetus in #1 in the Enchiridion speaks of knowing what you can control and what you cannot. If you focus on that distinction, you can ease a significant amount of frustration. Seneca and Marcus Aurelius are gold as well, but for the most bang for the buck, the Enchiridion or Handbook is gold. But to really manifest what the Stoics taught, especially with Epictetus, you need take a passage a day and reflect on it all day consciously. How does this impact my life? Am I letting appearances get the better of me? What has my conception brought to this moment? Does it need to be corrected?

Most people don't do that with Stoics. But historically, Stoicism was a way of life, not just a philosophy. You lived it. And to live it, it has to be integrated into all that you do.

More than you probably wanted, but I teach Stoicism every semester. I've seen it positively impact students, especially those who struggle with anger and frustration.
Great stuff Raspberrypie.

After about 7 years after separating for the Marine Corps I started to really shut down. All the hypervigilance, sleepless nights, survivors remorse and so on really took its toll. The vast majority of therapies that I had undertaken were influenced by Stoicism and Zen Buddhism.

I personally appreciate the service that you provide to your students. You are carrying on the legacy of the Stoics.

This right here caught my eye. This is so true in so many different ways and soooo many people miss. Whether PTSD, spirituality, archery, or billiards. These require discipline. Ever wonder why someone says they "practice" Buddhism, or "practice" meditation for anxiety reduction? Or any one of a million things that require practice. When we embark on a new endeavor, do we just go out and do it? If when I summit Ranier, hopefully this winter, am I just going to grab a coat and ice axe(s) and head up the volcano? Hell no.

Learning to calm your mind is something you practice. Experienced individuals can raise or lower their heart rate at will. Many of the things we take pills and elixirs for today could be solved through sheer discipline. But as with any discipline, it requires practice. Guided practice with a quack like myself is best, which is to say it has the highest degree of success. I gave a large chunk of my life to helping people but I'm out of that now. We tend to take on some damage as we get used as the cerebral punching bags that we are.

I will try to add a few gems to this thread this weekend. In the meantime, let's not go OT on this thread. I'll sticky the thread up top if we get some insightful and civil responses.

This right here caught my eye. This is so true in so many different ways and soooo many people miss. Whether PTSD, spirituality, archery, or billiards. These require discipline. Ever wonder why someone says they "practice" Buddhism, or "practice" meditation for anxiety reduction? Or any one of a million things that require practice. When we embark on a new endeavor, do we just go out and do it? If when I summit Ranier, hopefully this winter, am I just going to grab a coat and ice axe(s) and head up the volcano? Hell no.

Learning to calm your mind is something you practice. Experienced individuals can raise or lower their heart rate at will. Many of the things we take pills and elixirs for today could be solved through sheer discipline. But as with any discipline, it requires practice. Guided practice with a quack like myself is best, which is to say it has the highest degree of success. I gave a large chunk of my life to helping people but I'm out of that now. We tend to take on some damage as we get used as the cerebral punching bags that we are.

I will try to add a few gems to this thread this weekend. In the meantime, let's not go OT on this thread. I'll sticky the thread up top if we get some insightful and civil responses.
When I separated from the Corps and was processing in the VA they hooked me up to a bunch of equipment to measure heart rate, breathing pattern and likely a bunch of other stuff. The women was up the in age, and she expressed to me that in all her years she had only encountered a few individuals with markers similar to mine. She explained that Essentially I am constantly always prime to enter the sympathetic nervous system in order to fight in combat. At the time I didn’t know anything about the Sympathetic Nervous System (fight/flight/freeze) and I was prescribed Ativan, propronalol and a bunch of other stuff (sans an SSRI).

Fast forward 7-8yrs and things really started to decline for me and I was breaking down from all the hyper vigilance, insomnia, anger etc. I started to undertake therapy (CBT and such) and then I requested biofeedback therapy. This proved extremely beneficial as I was finally able to shift my body to the Parasympathetic Nervous System and finally able to achieve a level of homeostasis, and be able to chill for once without prescribed benzos or alcohol. I stopped drinking and knew it wouldn’t be possible unless I adopted some new principles. I really got into philosophy at this stage and found it very interesting and extremely beneficial.

IMG_5441.jpeg

Firstly, OldSchoolMuscle- thank you for starting this thread Devil Dog. Served as a 5803 and when I left the Corps in 1991 I joined a civilian police force in a large and high crime rate US city. It wasn't until leaving law enforcement work a few years later that I started to seek methods to provide me with quietude and tranquility.

I found that Taoism and Confucianism both helped me steady and calm my mind.

True to what OuchThatHurts wrote above, I found that I had to learn what it meant to practice them as a discipline as opposed to simply "read and believe".

Being young and somewhat immature when I first found these philosophies I thought that simply because what I was reading resonated with me that I had really discovered something profound. However, I didn't fully understand the precepts and the impact they can have on one's life, until years of maturity and accompanying patience (as well as trial, struggle, life lessons) expanded the rigor with which I focused on the principals as actions and activities (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) as opposed to simply thoughts and musings. Eventually the actions and thoughts merged and I was astounded at just how much peace and serenity it brought to my life.

Two of my favorite quotes:

“To bear and not to own; to act and not lay claim; to do the work and let it go: for just letting it go is what makes it stay.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
― Confucius

Firstly, OldSchoolMuscle- thank you for starting this thread Devil Dog. Served as a 5803 and when I left the Corps in 1991 I joined a civilian police force in a large and high crime rate US city. It wasn't until leaving law enforcement work a few years later that I started to seek methods to provide me with quietude and tranquility.

I found that Taoism and Confucianism both helped me steady and calm my mind.

True to what OuchThatHurts wrote above, I found that I had to learn what it meant to practice them as a discipline as opposed to simply "read and believe".

Being young and somewhat immature when I first found these philosophies I thought that simply because what I was reading resonated with me that I had really discovered something profound. However, I didn't fully understand the precepts and the impact they can have on one's life, until years of maturity and accompanying patience (as well as trial, struggle, life lessons) expanded the rigor with which I focused on the principals as actions and activities (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) as opposed to simply thoughts and musings. Eventually the actions and thoughts merged and I was astounded at just how much peace and serenity it brought to my life.

Two of my favorite quotes:

“To bear and not to own; to act and not lay claim; to do the work and let it go: for just letting it go is what makes it stay.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
― Confucius
I'm not far from where you're at. I pull from several disciplines—Taoism, Tai Chi Chaun, words of Siddhartha, and Buddhism in the hopes that one day I can call.myself a Bodhisattva. Even the words of Y'shua of Nazareth, Plato, Hippocrates and another dozen as well.

Even though I call myself agnostic, there is something out there. Whether it's in my brain or not, I don't know. But I consider myself a reasonably intelligent guy and I don't meditate and contemplate because these things don't work! Nature is also a welcome respite.

Well stated OuchThatHurts.

Like you, I have also collected words, narratives, parables, etc from Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Kabbalah, Gnosticism, Christianity, Shamanism, the list goes on and on. For me, the more I read, aggregate, absorb, practice, the more I get a strong sense of a central tenant that has been altered through varying levels of filters and described through man's experience in order to make it relatable. It's hard to not believe that as you say "something is out there", when you start to really comprehend that so many of these religions and philosophies revolve around very similar themes even though many were founded during similar time periods and from vastly geographically dispersed locations.

I am curious if you find that in studying, researching, assimilating, elements from all those teachings if you sometimes sense a central "truth"? By that I don't mean like a religious epiphany of "this is it" with regards to a particular teaching, but more like a central concept within say a Venn diagram model. Not asking you to define it, just thought I would ask if you get that same sense of consolidation with various cultures, gurus, teachers, authors, that they are all trying to describe the same experience through varying lenses and methods of description?

Your thoughts?

Well stated OuchThatHurts.

Like you, I have also collected words, narratives, parables, etc from Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Kabbalah, Gnosticism, Christianity, Shamanism, the list goes on and on. For me, the more I read, aggregate, absorb, practice, the more I get a strong sense of a central tenant that has been altered through varying levels of filters and described through man's experience in order to make it relatable. It's hard to not believe that as you say "something is out there", when you start to really comprehend that so many of these religions and philosophies revolve around very similar themes even though many were founded during similar time periods and from vastly geographically dispersed locations.

I am curious if you find that in studying, researching, assimilating, elements from all those teachings if you sometimes sense a central "truth"? By that I don't mean like a religious epiphany of "this is it" with regards to a particular teaching, but more like a central concept within say a Venn diagram model. Not asking you to define it, just thought I would ask if you get that same sense of consolidation with various cultures, gurus, teachers, authors, that they are all trying to describe the same experience through varying lenses and methods of description?

Your thoughts?
My thoughts drift to various teachers all throughout history to help guide us on our journey. Avatars that show us the way. Listen, I fail a LOT. And I mean A LOT! But you take a sabbatical (I'm very big on sabbaticals) and life moves on and the world keeps turning. Unfortunately, unlike the loving and caring gods we likely grew up with, nature is not loving or forgiving. She gives life and takes it away indiscriminately, with no remorse, no regret, no conscience.

I sometimes think, and I am no teacher, shaman, or rabbi, that our life force emanates from this living planet but that it doesn't "think" at least is the way that we do. So if you have a living planet, it seems only logical that avatars would have appeared throughout history to correct our path (a central tenant to Hunduism) Because, let's be honest, if I visited another living world with sentient life and saw a beaten and bloodied and naked denizen of that planet nailed to a cross, I'd say, "Time to go, we gotta get f- off this planet now!"

My current theory is that we have one foot in the natural world (sex, tornados, flood, disease) and one foot in the spiritual (everything that makes you, you). This duality is also man's biggest problem. One half is saying go hit that sexy mama, eat the candy bar, drink the beer while the other side (our superior side) is telling us to abstain from these bc not only does it ruin the body, but depraves the mind as well.

For example take a Compact Disc (CD). If you remove the aluminum oxide layer, you still have the plastic disk. If you remove the plastic, what have you got? A few micrograms of aluminum oxide. It's only when both the plastic and the essence come together, THAT is when the music comes "ALIVE". By themselves the are worthless. But when combined in just the right fashion....Ahhh...

I hope that made sense. But I can most assuredly tell you this: whatever the "I Am" is out there, it's like nothing we could put in human terms or based on human precepts. Very much like our knowledge of the cosmos is becoming completely baffling and beyond our abilities to comprehend.

Made a lot of sense actually, Ouch that Hurts. Thank you for sharing this insight. Interesting that you used a technical data and material science analogy, as since leaving the Military and Law Enforcement a long time ago, my career ended up in the IT world and sometimes I see a lot of relevance between various religions and philosophies and the way intelligence and data are stored and disseminated through technology.

Much like you, I have never believed in any kind of God that is loving, caring nor jealous or punishing...these are human qualities. Whatever God is, he/she/it is not focused our mere mortal wants and wishes. "Give me this, grant me that, heal me so that I may......". Whatever IS, is infinite and timeless and all knowing, so how can our narcissistic concerns over a 50-80 year period on planet earth (if we are indeed here as we believe ourselves to be) be of any concerns.

The same way you or I (as grown men) react to a toddler throwing a tantrum over wanting a cupcake for breakfast, it must be 1 million times more absurd to an omniscient and omnipresent intelligence to hear a "prayer" the way most of humanity relays one, if that intelligence is even listening.

Like you stated "life moves on"....much like the ocean beats away relentlessly at the shore. It doesn't care if dunes are destroyed along with the habitat they provide, whales are beached or you or I are swept away in a rip current and die. It also doesn't care if wildlife thrives and humans delight swimming and surfing. It just does what it does and it is magnificent in it being just what it is...the ocean.

I am curious if in your journeys and discoveries you have ever come across The Monroe Institute- Hemisynch or particularly what is called the Gateway Experience? I think you would find it very interesting. Some people thinks its complete and utter absurdity, but what started out as a Government and Intelligence Community scientific exploration into consciousness and psychic spying (called Remote Viewing) evolved into some pretty wild spiritual experiences. If you have, I'd be intrigued to hear your thoughts. If not, google it. I have a feeling you'll enjoy learning more about it.

Being academically smart is one thing. Spiritual wisdom is completely something else entirely. I appreciate your depth, Sir. And your sharing.

Respect!

By the way, also interesting that you brought up our evolving knowledge of the cosmos.

The company I work for is a NASA contractor and some of our engineers helped build the Webb Telescope. So now here it is bringing back images that has astrophysicists speechless in realizing that things we've believed to be central tenants of truth about everything ranging from entropy, gravity, time, to the big bang are completely disproven by the infrared images it is sending back. Certainly makes one go "hmmmmm maybe we should strop trying to interpret and understand everything as for all our math, physics, optics and supercomputers, we truly are very limited in our understanding."

Sorry getting off the topic of philosophy and the very good intent of the OP. I will get back to "comfort and an outlet" in future posts.

By the way, also interesting that you brought up our evolving knowledge of the cosmos.

The company I work for is a NASA contractor and some of our engineers helped build the Webb Telescope. So now here it is bringing back images that has astrophysicists speechless in realizing that things we've believed to be central tenants of truth about everything ranging from entropy, gravity, time, to the big bang are completely disproven by the infrared images it is sending back. Certainly makes one go "hmmmmm maybe we should strop trying to interpret and understand everything as for all our math, physics, optics and supercomputers, we truly are very limited in our understanding."

Sorry getting off the topic of philosophy and the very good intent of the OP. I will get back to "comfort and an outlet" in future posts.
There really is a LOT to unpack here. I am familiar with alpha, theta, and delta waves in terms of sleep and deep sleep. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Hemi-sync as a form of guided meditation. I will certainly look into it and give you my thoughts.

I am familiar with biofeedback and psychoacoustics. The former, biofeedback, I believe requires too much effort and time for people to master when they are in a state of discomfort. I'm not saying it's ineffective. But it will take time.

It probably seems strange that someone who will go into a gym and do concentration curls until his arms feel like they are literally on fire to talk about discomfort but it's only less than 45 seconds of agony (I've increased my TUT to 30 seconds eccentric, 15 seconds concentric) until the wonderful pump sensation that I love.

The latter, psychoacoustics, is something I've been interested in years. As one example, surround sound. This is the science of making the room or theater where one is sitting seem a different size than the reality. Your rear speakers delay the sound just enough to make your brain believe it's larger (or smaller). It's really pretty amazing how even we can trick all our senses with the myriad of auditory and optical illusions.

Given my knowledge of those topics, I think I can dive into the deep end of the pool with Hemi-sync. So I will look into it, maybe even experiment with it. Generally speaking headphone freq range is approx 20-20,000Hz. I'm curious how they manage to develop a 0.5 or even a 5Hz frequency range with an inductor. Very interesting stuff.

There really is a LOT to unpack here. I am familiar with alpha, theta, and delta waves in terms of sleep and deep sleep. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Hemi-sync as a form of guided meditation. I will certainly look into it and give you my thoughts.

I am familiar with biofeedback and psychoacoustics. The former, biofeedback, I believe requires too much effort and time for people to master when they are in a state of discomfort. I'm not saying it's ineffective. But it will take time.

It probably seems strange that someone who will go into a gym and do concentration curls until his arms feel like they are literally on fire to talk about discomfort but it's only less than 45 seconds of agony (I've increased my TUT to 30 seconds eccentric, 15 seconds concentric) until the wonderful pump sensation that I love.

The latter, psychoacoustics, is something I've been interested in years. As one example, surround sound. This is the science of making the room or theater where one is sitting seem a different size than the reality. Your rear speakers delay the sound just enough to make your brain believe it's larger (or smaller). It's really pretty amazing how even we can trick all our senses with the myriad of auditory and optical illusions.

Given my knowledge of those topics, I think I can dive into the deep end of the pool with Hemi-sync. So I will look into it, maybe even experiment with it. Generally speaking headphone freq range is approx 20-20,000Hz. I'm curious how they manage to develop a 0.5 or even a 5Hz frequency range with an inductor. Very interesting stuff.
OTH, if you are open to PMing me your personal email address I can forward you a few PDF's including the now de-classified study on Hemisync by the US Intelligence Community. I can also provide you with a link to download the first of the Gateway Experience audio sessions.

Otherwise, as I promised in my last post, per the intent of the OP, I will get back to quotes of comfort and outlets relevant to philosophy:

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see.” — Arthur Schopenhauer

This has definitely been an interesting read so thanks to all that put their info forward. I have looked into the hemisync system and I did not go forward due to my general mistrust of the government. Like I am going to wind up Manchurian candidate or something. Good eye at OTH as I have been toying with the idea of looking into them myself. That is a slope though tbh you can get into all kinds of radiation and how it effects the mind/body. I found a website of a dude wearing a device that creates a faraday cage around his head. While that may be "out there" or may not be, though I highly doubt it would work. Would be interesting to find out?

@solarsentinel1 care to explain what you feel the Hemi-sync system has done for you?

@stackdizzy.... firstly nothing wrong with being wary and watchful. I myself am a Government Contractor and came to know about HemiSync through one of the original remote viewers involved in the Government Research back in the 70s and early 80s. After a lot of reading and research I decided I was comfortable with it as the originators of the method, nearly all the researchers, and certainly all the people associated with more recent honing of the techniques distanced themselves from and in many cases disavowed the Government's involvement in weaponizing what they came to believe was meant to be a path to peace and tranquility. I won't preach or sell, as this is an individual conclusion and decision one has to make for themselves. Lots and lots of books, papers, on line posts to offer up information.

I have never attended the Monroe Institute in person, but I have purchased and practices all the CDs associated with The Gateway Experience. I have also used some of their Hemisync audio tracks focused on specific goals such as spawning creativity or healing from various mental and physical challenges.

*I find that the Hemisync audio allows me to achieve a deep meditative state much more quickly than other "self hypnosis" type audio.

*I have found that the objectives stated for the various tracks seem to more rapidly manifest themselves in my actual behavior and physicality (could be placebo effect of course) than standard self hypnosis or meditative practices.

*Much like many report significant healing based on Ibogaine or Ketamine sessions, I have achieved a sense of overall serenity and peace over years of listening to Hemisync as the "voyages" I have experienced fostered a new sense of perception and reality that freed me from certain thought precepts I had been stuck in for many years prior.

I was a combat Marine. I was a cop in a high crime large city. After leaving those worlds behind, I was never formally diagnosed with PTSD because I didn't exhibit the standard by the book symptoms, but looking back...yes, I was PTSD. If you google PTSD and Ibogaine, you will read a lot of reports (nearly all positive) of what people experience and why it helps them. Well I had very similar visions, perceptions, altered understanding of reality, that helped me transcend some things that plagued me, via Hemisync.

Lastly....more recently, I switched over to something called "Equisync" by the EOC institute. It is more modern that Hemisync, uses a new technology for entrainment that goes beyond the Binaural Beats and Isochronic Tones developed by Monroe, and has no relationship past or present to the Government. Just good old commercial capitalism at work. Their website is so full of information that it is confusing AF, but their products are solid.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

I hope this was helpful.

Respect

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperAndy
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
yourdailyvitamins
Prowrist straps store banner