over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Range of motion??

Lenny

IFBB PRO / Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Do you think we need to use a full range of motion on all exercise movements or do you put more emphasis on continous tension on the muscle by challenging it with correct load and technique (eliminating momentum/swinging)?

I tend to challenge the muscle these days with continous tension, squeezing, and load progression. I use the range of motion that I feel in the muscle, instead of the full range of motion, even though on some exercises I still use full range, but on others I just control the range and put my mind into the muscle working. It has taken me awhile to get a hang of focusing on the mind/muscle connection. But, I have it down, well at least I think I do. Do not get me wrong I still challenge myself with amount of load use per exercise and try to increase week to week if I am able too (damn plateau).

I know some on here say if it feels un-natural, then it prolly is too much of a range of motion. I know that when the muscle quicks firing, it will will fire from other cylinders, such as, the secondary muscles that help aid in the movement.

Just seeing what people's thoughts were on Range of Motion??

I think it depends what you mean by full range of motion. I've always thought partials were mostly silly. Board Bench pressing, Rack pulls and various other advanced techniques to break through weak ranges of motion probably "prove" that I am wrong. However, I am not an advanced lifter.

I like to squat all the way down but I don't lock out at the top. I prefer to keep my knees aligned and under tension.

With bench I don't lock out at the top as I tend to put my shoulders in a weak position when I do.

I think it depends what you mean by full range of motion. I've always thought partials were mostly silly. Board Bench pressing, Rack pulls and various other advanced techniques to break through weak ranges of motion probably "prove" that I am wrong. However, I am not an advanced lifter.

I like to squat all the way down but I don't lock out at the top. I prefer to keep my knees aligned and under tension.

With bench I don't lock out at the top as I tend to put my shoulders in a weak position when I do.

Yes, locking out is never a good thing, well unless you are racking the weight. Even though you see powerlifters use lock out reps, but I am not so much on the powerlifting side of things more the bodybuilding side. A powerlifter could answer that better than me on the lockouts.

I think full range is best (short of locking out) but if you look at Branch Warren doing dumbell press very much short stroking it and he has an awesome chest, so I guess its like everything else, we're all different.

Elaboration

ovidweb.jpeg
An Examination of Strength and Concentric Work Ratios During Variable Range of Motion Training, Ross A Clark, Adam L Bryant, and Brendan Humphries, J Strength Cond Res, August 14, 2008

From the Intro:

A resistance training program utilizing the full range of motion (ROM) may not be optimal for enhancing muscle force levels. In this respect, previous studies have shown that full ROM exercises consist of a large deceleration phase (2,5,9), resulting in a substantial proportion of the movement being performed at force levels far below maximal. What makes this submaximal performance during the exercise so detrimental from an athlete’s point of view is that it occurs toward the terminal range of the movement (ROM), which is often the critical phase for athletic performance.

From the Discussion:

The results of this study reveal that both the load lifted and peak force output increase as the ROM of the bench press exercise is decreased toward terminal elbow extension. These findings are somewhat supported by the study of Mookerjee and Ratamess (8), who reported that concentric velocity did not decrease dramatically during partial ROM exercises despite an increase in the load lifted.

These findings suggest that VROM training may help to overcome one of the major limitations of full ROM resistance training, terminal deceleration toward the end range of the movement....

Notes:

2 - Elliott, BC, Wilson, GJ, and Kerr, GK, A biomechanical analysis of the sticking region in the bench press, Med Sci Sports Exerc 21:450–462, 1989.

"A possible mechanism which envisages the sticking region as a force-reduced transition phase between a strain energy-assisted acceleration phase and a mechanically advantageous maximum strength region is postulated."

5 - Lander, JE, Bates, BT, Sawhill, JA, and Hamill, J. A comparison between free-weight and isokinetic bench pressing. Med Sci Sports Exerc 17: 344–353, 1985.

"A "sticking region" was defined as the portion of the free-weight activity when the subjects' force application was less than the weight of the bar."

8 - Mookerjee, S and Ratamess, N. Comparison of strength differences and joint action durations between full and partial range-of-motion bench press exercise. J Strength Cond Res 13: 76–81, 1999.

9 - Newton, RU, Kraemer, WJ, Hakkinen, K, Humphries, BJ, and Murphy, AJ. Kinematics, kinetics and muscle activation during explosive upper body movements. J Appl Biomech 12: 31–43, 1996

Very Good Study

Comparison of Strength Differences and Joint Action Durations Between Full and Partial Range-of-Motion Bench Press Exercise, Mookerjee, S and Ratamess, N., J Strength Cond Res 13: 76–81, 1999

Intro:

Muscular strength has been shown to vary throughout the range of motion (ROM) of a given joint (2, 4, 17, 24, 25, 26). Possible mechanisms for this phenomenon may be due to the muscle length–tension relationship (17, 24), moment arm length (17), and muscle activation and mass (25). Variations in strength can be depicted as strength curves (17), which permit the identification of areas of highest force output. Most of the literature focuses on isometric strength for single- joint movements, and limited data are available for dynamic, multijoint resistance exercises.

Dynamic partial range of motion (partial ROM) training is an advanced strength-training technique frequently utilized by athletes in many sports. Zatsiorsky (33) has described the accentuation principle, where the intent is to train in the range of motion where there is demand for maximal force production. One form of this type of training is designed to overload the musculoskeletal system with supramaximal loads (greater than 100% of one repetition maximum [1RM]) in the area of the ROM where maximal force is produced. It is believed that adaptations occur in response to the extreme overload via a decline in neural inhibition (28).

Studies on the bench press show an area of the ROM where maximal force production occurs (5, 18). For a dynamic lift, this ROM is beyond the "sticking point" near full elbow extension (5, 18). Wilson et al. (30) found that this area for an isometric bench press was at an elbow angle of 120 degrees.

Most studies on dynamic partial ROM training were performed on clinical population samples in which subjects had limited ROM (9, 10). These studies showed that partial ROM training increased isometric strength at the specifically trained ROM and in full ROM (9, 10). Similarly, other studies using isometric training have demonstrated angular specificity of strength improvements and a spillover of strength of 6208 from the trained joint angle (14, 15, 24).

Sullivan and colleagues (23) studied moderately experienced, weight-trained subjects during the barbell curl exercise. They found partial ROM exercise produced greater torque compared to full ROM exercise. However, data on dynamic, partial ROM traininginduced differences in muscular strength in advanced subjects is limited and needs to be addressed. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to (a) investigate strength differences following an acute exposure to full and partial ROM bench press exercise using 1RM and 5RM (five repetition maximum) and (b) describe elbow joint action durations during full and partial ROM bench press exercise at 1RM and 5RM.

Discussion:

The initial finding in this study was the occurrence of a statistically significant difference in partial ROM bench press performance in advanced subjects who performed both full ROM and partial ROM bench press exercises. Following two testing sessions with 4 days during which subjects continued to train (only avoiding use of the bench press and any supplemental exercise), subjects’ partial ROM bench press increased by 4.8 and 4.1% for the 1RM and 5 RM, respectively (see Figure 1). Individuals who train exclusively in a full ROM may fail to optimally train in the area of the ROM where maximal force developement occurs. This is possibly due to the load requirement for the full ROM bench press being limited by the "sticking point" (5).

Loads used for the partial ROM bench press exceeded that of the full ROM bench press. During the second testing session, loads were 10.7 and 17.6% greater in the partial ROM for the 1RM and 5RM tests, respectively. These results corroborate previous work (5, 18, 31) on the bench press where this ROM was described as the area of maximal strength. The results also support the findings of Sullivan et al. (23), who reported greater torque production during performance of partial range of motion barbell curls.

The partial ROM technique facilitates training with higher loads than is possible with full ROM movements.

Notes:

1. CALLAWAY, C.W., W.C. CHUMLEA, C. BOUCHARD, J.H. HIMES, T.G. LOHMAN, A.D. MARTIN, C.D. MITCHELL, W.H. MUELLER, A.F. ROCHE, AND V.D. SEEFELDT. Circumferences. In: Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. T.G. Lohman, A.F. Roche, and R.M. Martorell, eds. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1988. pp. 39–54.

2. CAMPNEY, H.K. AND R.W. WEHR. Significance of strength variation through a range of joint motion. Phys. Ther. 45:773–779. 1965.

3. CARPENTER, D.M., J.E. GRAVES, M.L. POLLOCK, S.H. LEGGETT, D. FOSTER, B. HOLMES, AND M.N. FULTON. Effect of 12 and 20 weeks of resistance training on lumbar extension torque production. Phys. Ther. 71:580–588. 1991.

4. CLARKE, H.H., E.C. ELKINS, G.M. MARTIN, AND K.G. WAKIM. Relationship between body position and the application of muscle power to movements of the joints. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehab. 31: 81–89. 1950.

5. ELLIOTT, B.C., G.J. WILSON, AND G.K. KERR. A biomechanical analysis of the sticking region in the bench press. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 21:450–462. 1989.

6. ELORANTA, V., AND P.V. KOMI. Function of the quadriceps femoris muscle under the full range of forces and differing contraction velocities of concentric work. EMG Clin. Neurophysiol. 20:159–174. 1980.

7. ELORANTA, V., AND P.V. KOMI. Function of the quadriceps femoris muscle under the full range of forces and differing contraction velocities of concentric work. EMG Clin. Neurophysiol. 21:419–431. 1981.

8. FLECK, S.J., AND W.J. KRAEMER. Designing Resistance Training Programs. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1987.

9. GRAVES, J.E., M.L. POLLOCK, A.E. JONES, A.B. COLVIN, AND S.H. LEGGETT. Specificity of limited range of motion variable resistance training. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 21:84–89. 1989.

10. GRAVES, J.E., M.L. POLLOCK, S.H. LEGGETT, D.M. CARPENTER, C.K. FIX, AND M.N. FULTON. Limited range-of-motion lumbar extension strength training. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 24:128–133. 1992.

11. HORTOBAGYI, T., AND F.I. KATCH. Role of concentric force in limiting improvement in muscular strength. J. Appl. Physiol. 68:650– 658. 1990.

12. JACKSON, A., T. JACKSON, J. HNATEK, AND J. WEST. Strength development: Using functional isometrics in an isotonic strength training program. Res. Q. Exerc. Sport 56:234–237. 1985.

13. KITAI, T.A., AND D.G. SALE. Specificity of joint angle in isometric training. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 58:744–748. 1989.

14. KNAPIK, J.J., R.H. MAWDSLEY, AND N.V. RAMOS. Angular specificity and test mode specificity of isometric and isokinetic strength training. J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 5:58–65. 1983.

15. KNAPIK, J.J., J.E. WRIGHT, R.H. MAWDSLEY, AND J. BRAUN. Isometric, isotonic, and isokinetic torque variations in four muscle groups through a range of joint motion. Phys. Ther. 63:938–947. 1983.

16. KOMI, P.V. Training of muscle strength and power: Interaction of neuromotoric, hypertrophic, and mechanical factors. Int. J. Sports Med. 7:10–15. 1986.

17. KULIG, K., J.G.ANDREWS, AND J.G. HAY. Human strength curves. Exerc. Sports Sci. Rev. 12:417–466. 1984.

18. LANDER, J.E., B.T. BATES, J.A. SAWHILL, AND J. HAMILL. A comparison between free-weight and isokinetic bench pressing. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 17:344–353. 1985.

19. MADSEN, N., AND T. MCLAUGHLIN. Kinematic factors influencing performance and injury risk in the bench press exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 16:376–381. 1984.

20. POLLOCK, M.L., S.H. LEGGETT, J.E. GRAVES, A. JONES, M. FULTON, AND J. CIRULLI. Effect of resistance training on lumbar extension strength. Am. J. Sports Med. 17:624–629. 1989.

21. RUTHERFORD, G.M., AND D.A. JONES. The role of learning and coordination in strength training. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 55:100– 105. 1986.

22. SALE, D.G. Testing strength and power. In: Physiological Testing of the High-Performance Athlete. J.D. MacDougall, H.A. Wenger, and H.J. Green, eds. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1991. pp. 76–77.

23. SULLIVAN, J.J., R.G. KNOWLTON, P. DEVITA, AND D.D. BROWN. Cardiovascular response to restricted range of motion resistance exercise. J. Strength Cond. Res. 10:3–7. 1996.

24. THEPAUT-MATHIEU, C., J. VANHOECKE, AND B. MATON. Myoelectrical and mechanical changes linked to length specificity during isometric training. J. Appl. Physiol. 64:1500–1505. 1988.

25. TSUNODA, N., F. O’HAGAN, D.G. SALE, AND J.D. MACDOUGALL. Elbow flexion strength curves in untrained men and women and male bodybuilders. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 66:235–239. 1993.

26. WEIR, J.P., L.L. WAGNER, AND T.J. HOUSH. The effect of rest interval length on repeated maximal bench presses. J. Strength Cond. Res. 8:58–60. 1994.

27. WILLIAMS, M., AND L. STUTZMAN. Strength variation through the range of joint motion. Phys. Ther. Rev. 39:145–152. 1959.

28. WILSON, G. Strength and power in sport. In: Applied Anatomy and Biomechanics in Sport. J. Bloomfield, T. Ackland, and B. Elliott, eds. Boston: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1994. pp. 110–208.

29. WILSON, G.J., B.C. ELLIOTT, AND G.A. WOODS. The effect on performance of imposing a delay during a stretch–shorten cycle movement. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 23:364–370. 1991.

30. WILSON, G.J., B.C. ELLIOTT, AND G.K. KERR. Bar path and force profile characteristics for maximal and submaximal loads in the bench press. Int. J. Sport Biomech. 5:390–402. 1989.

31. WILSON, G.J., A.J. MURPHY, AND J.F. PRYOR. Musculotendinous stiffness: Its relationship to eccentric, isometric, and concentric performance. J. Appl. Physiol. 76:2714–2719. 1994.

32. WILSON, G.J., G.A. WOOD, AND B.C. ELLIOTT. Optimal stiffness of series elastic component in a stretch–shorten cycle activity. J. Appl. Physiol. 70:825–833. 191.

33. ZATSIORSKY, V. Science and Practice of Strength Training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 1995.

An Examination of Strength and Concentric Work Ratios During Variable Range of Motion Training, Ross A Clark, Adam L Bryant, and Brendan Humphries, J Strength Cond Res, August 14, 2008

From the Intro:

A resistance training program utilizing the full range of motion (ROM) may not be optimal for enhancing muscle force levels. In this respect, previous studies have shown that full ROM exercises consist of a large deceleration phase (2,5,9), resulting in a substantial proportion of the movement being performed at force levels far below maximal. What makes this submaximal performance during the exercise so detrimental from an athlete’s point of view is that it occurs toward the terminal range of the movement (ROM), which is often the critical phase for athletic performance.

From the Discussion:

The results of this study reveal that both the load lifted and peak force output increase as the ROM of the bench press exercise is decreased toward terminal elbow extension. These findings are somewhat supported by the study of Mookerjee and Ratamess (8), who reported that concentric velocity did not decrease dramatically during partial ROM exercises despite an increase in the load lifted.

These findings suggest that VROM training may help to overcome one of the major limitations of full ROM resistance training, terminal deceleration toward the end range of the movement....

Notes:

2 - Elliott, BC, Wilson, GJ, and Kerr, GK, A biomechanical analysis of the sticking region in the bench press, Med Sci Sports Exerc 21:450–462, 1989.

"A possible mechanism which envisages the sticking region as a force-reduced transition phase between a strain energy-assisted acceleration phase and a mechanically advantageous maximum strength region is postulated."

5 - Lander, JE, Bates, BT, Sawhill, JA, and Hamill, J. A comparison between free-weight and isokinetic bench pressing. Med Sci Sports Exerc 17: 344–353, 1985.

"A "sticking region" was defined as the portion of the free-weight activity when the subjects' force application was less than the weight of the bar."

8 - Mookerjee, S and Ratamess, N. Comparison of strength differences and joint action durations between full and partial range-of-motion bench press exercise. J Strength Cond Res 13: 76–81, 1999.

9 - Newton, RU, Kraemer, WJ, Hakkinen, K, Humphries, BJ, and Murphy, AJ. Kinematics, kinetics and muscle activation during explosive upper body movements. J Appl Biomech 12: 31–43, 1996

Who are you, man? You pop up at random with great sources and lots of science... then POOF, you disappear back into the fog. I'm going to start calling you gandalf or something

Who are you, man? You pop up at random with great sources and lots of science... then POOF, you disappear back into the fog. I'm going to start calling you gandalf or something

You do know that there are several forums here in addition to the main forum?

One of them is the Peptides and Growth Factors forum. There you will find me a posting away in a sticky named Dat's - CJC-1295 & GHRP-6 (Basic Guides) which covers more then just those peptides.

The thread has been active for 9 months w/ 735 posts & more than 28,000 views....disappear...I beg to differ because POOF there I been & there I be. :)

I beg to differ because POOF there I been & there I be. :)

do me a favor then and put the word "POOF" at the end of your medical journal posts, then... it would make me feel better. There's something so damned mysterious to me about someone popping up out of nowhere and posting the end all be all of the conversation topic. It gets my goat, bro. lol

LOL

DAT'S KNOWS HIS STUFF,GLAD TO HAVE HIM HERE!!

DAT, that is great information...thanks for posting it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131