over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rebound affect after a show

gainingmass

Registered
Got a question for anyone who has ever done a natural and non-tested show before. Do you think there is a difference in the rebound affect one experiences after a show? I mean do the drugs and diuretics you can use in non-tested shows enable you regain weight better then the supplements you use in a tested show? The reason i ask, is cause i just decided i might jump into a natural show but i want to know if i get down to a light heavy will i get that 30-40lb rebound like i use to get after doing a show and using drugs?

i think anytime u drop your sodium and water for a period of time your body is going to rebound somewhat. Mabey not to the extent using diuretics and such would make you, but think of it as a defense mechanism by your body.

sage

you will get a rebound of growth, but its crazy to expect 30-40 pounds:eek:

A problem is the very low carb diet. The lower you drop your carbs, the faster you will rebound and gain the fat back when you add the carbs back in. I swear I’ve seen guys blow up 30-40 lbs in a matter of DAYS after their contest because they went on a carbohydrate and fat binge after a four-month zero carb diet. It wasn’t a pretty sight!

RC

RazorCuts said:
A problem is the very low carb diet. The lower you drop your carbs, the faster you will rebound and gain the fat back when you add the carbs back in. I swear I’ve seen guys blow up 30-40 lbs in a matter of DAYS after their contest because they went on a carbohydrate and fat binge after a four-month zero carb diet. It wasn’t a pretty sight!

RC

But most of that weight is water. You can only put fat back on so fast (3500kcal / lb roughly).

The answer to that conundrum, as you say, RC, is to control the carbs on the way back up.

The rebound after a natural show, in terms of muscle mass, may actually be larger than after having done a show on gear, because of the dramatic differences in hormone levels.

Compare the hormonal differences between a guy on a gram of stuff / week during his prep and after. Major change would be insulin (minus that used during his prep.), and maybe IGF-1, unless he's doing this too.... Test. and other androgens will increase IGF-1 output, so the change ma be little here.

A natty may have reduced test., certainly insulin, and IGF-1 levels during his (or her) prep. and these hormones will increase dramatically when the "re-feeding" occurs.

The key to not creating a sloppy water-logged fat mess is to have some degree of control after a show and "ride the rebound."

During the few weeks after the show, anabolism is maximized. The basic idea would be to maximize nutrition to support that, but not overdo it with calories that are not needed (but still enjoy life, shit - its needed at that point.) LOTS of good quality food...

-Randy

homonunculus said:
But most of that weight is water. You can only put fat back on so fast (3500kcal / lb roughly).

The answer to that conundrum, as you say, RC, is to control the carbs on the way back up.

The rebound after a natural show, in terms of muscle mass, may actually be larger than after having done a show on gear, because of the dramatic differences in hormone levels.

Compare the hormonal differences between a guy on a gram of stuff / week during his prep and after. Major change would be insulin (minus that used during his prep.), and maybe IGF-1, unless he's doing this too.... Test. and other androgens will increase IGF-1 output, so the change ma be little here.

A natty may have reduced test., certainly insulin, and IGF-1 levels during his (or her) prep. and these hormones will increase dramatically when the "re-feeding" occurs.

The key to not creating a sloppy water-logged fat mess is to have some degree of control after a show and "ride the rebound."

During the few weeks after the show, anabolism is maximized. The basic idea would be to maximize nutrition to support that, but not overdo it with calories that are not needed (but still enjoy life, shit - its needed at that point.) LOTS of good quality food...

-Randy

Say you have shows back to back weeks. How would you quell the rebound as far as carbs/water/sodium? The only thing im pretty sure you would want to do is bump the water back up quick.

homonunculus said:

-Randy

Nice post Randy!

RC

Thanks Randy,
thats the kinda reply i was looking for.
I've done a regular show before and it wasnt uncommon for me to put back on 30 lbs within the week. I did go on a carb binge like you said. But it was only for the first week after that i went back to diet but upped all my carbs to a maintenance intake. Just wondering if i do a show clean this year if i would have the same rebound similar to what ive experienced before. Thanks

TooPowerful4u said:
Say you have shows back to back weeks. How would you quell the rebound as far as carbs/water/sodium? The only thing im pretty sure you would want to do is bump the water back up quick.

TP4U - this especially becomes a problem for guys who use pharm diuretics, b/c they are so strong (affect renal metabolism) and/or stay in the body long enough that the same homeostasis of the week before the 1st show has often not established itself soon enough to use the same protocol for the 2nd show.

I really don't have experience with the pharm diuretics to tell you any specifics of doing it this way. They are highly unpredictable for some folks, depending on the kind used and they often end up causing problems when two shows are back to back. I know lots of guys who don't really use them for the 1st of two back to back shows, because they can only really be counted on for a single show (in that time frame).

I don't use pharm diuretics, so this (not using them) is my best solution. (See the water loss w/o drugs post in the articles section - kinda old, but you'll get the idea.)

But, you're right TP4U - the longer you stay dehydrated, the longer to get back to a baseline, so getting the water in the system to get water metabolism back to normal would be the best idea.

When I've dried out (w/o the pharm.'s), I generally will get no rebound whatsoever, as long as I keep my water high. I just taper the caffeine the day after (like 300-400mg over the 1st half of the day), take a few of the other diuretics (Vit. C, B vitamins) in the AM, drink lots of water and stay away from horribly salty foods and have no problems whatsoever. I did a pseudo-photoshoot a week or so after a show a couple years ago and did nothing in particular for keeping water down that whole week and was nice n' dry (didn't do a dry out for the photoshoot - it was really a shoot for my training partner...)

-Randy

Randy,
do you know what the title of that article, the one about drying out without diuretics? I'd love to read that one. Should i search under your name?

Hey randy would you care to explain your carb up on wed-thursday? What type of carbs work best for you? I've seen your pics so i know you get in crazy conditioning. I think im gonna give this water depletion a try, even if i dont do a show this summer it would still be a good way to test this out on me. Thanks bro!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear