over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

reusing a gallon jug?

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Ive always tried to get in my water by carrying a gallon jug around..easier than filling up a tiny bottle 100 times a day.

I usually use one jug a week then toss it. I was wondering if this is somehow harmful? A guy at work was telling me that you can only reuse the ones that have a '1' on the bottom and not a '2' because the '2' the plastic leaks into the water and can cause cancer.

Having a cancer scare recently i started to worry a little bit.

Does anyone here reuse their gallon jug? Buying a new one each day would be $30 + a month. Not much to some, but to me thats a bill that im already struggling to pay.

What do you guys use to carry your h2o around?

I try not to re-use them as much especially during cold and flu season, easy to have bacteria and other crap in there breeding.

I use a plastic 1 liter water bottle. Fill it up 4 times throughout the day to get a gallon. And I try to wash it with soap and water at the end of every day.

I think the cancer worry was the Nagalene plastic, I have not heard any warnings about other plastics.

Ive always tried to get in my water by carrying a gallon jug around..easier than filling up a tiny bottle 100 times a day.

I usually use one jug a week then toss it. I was wondering if this is somehow harmful? A guy at work was telling me that you can only reuse the ones that have a '1' on the bottom and not a '2' because the '2' the plastic leaks into the water and can cause cancer.

Does anyone here reuse their gallon jug? Buying a new one each day would be $30 + a month. Not much to some, but to me thats a bill that im already struggling to pay.

Reusing plastic bottles is a problem for at least two reasons:

(1) Bisphenol A (BPA), which is used to make plastic (including the plastic used to make bottles) is an endocrine system disruptor: it is estrogenic and may be carcinogenic. BPA leaches into the liquid which you then consume.

(2) Bacteria and fungi, which enter from "washback" when you drink from the bottle will multiply and will never be completely removed even if you rinse the bottle. Depending on their type and number these can cause gastrointestinal uosets and/or sore throats.

It is better to get a stainless steel water bottle like the Ecotanka. The walls are smooth so there is no regions that can harbour fungi and bacteria and because the mouth is wide (unlike a plastic water bottle) you can get a bottle brush down there to scrub the sides.

Alot of drugstores have bpa free plastic container with the pop up lids for a few bucks. I have a 74oz and 32oz and just wash them everyday

Bummer, I have been re-filling and drinking out of the same gallon jug for at least 4 months now. Probably closer to 6. It sits on my desk at work. I use it all day while working.

Im fine.

But now I guess Ill go buy a new one. lol

So if your water comes with a "2" on the jug, the plastic doesn't leak into the original water that's been sitting in it for months, but starts leaking into it on the second refill that was in there a couple hours? :p

just buy one of the cooler jugs that are made to refill. they have them in multiple sizes.

i re-use the shit out of the gallon jugs i buy. Fuck buying a new one every time you need it. Wash it out with soap and hot water ever 2-3 days, and you're fine.

Like Zomb131 said, dont sweat it about the plastic.
However, I like my water fresh..a few days old and it gets a funky taste..like im drinking drool

I heard somewhere that it's the washing with hot water that causes the plastic to leach the bpa. Once the plastic is heated it is less stable but washing in cold water may not kill bacteria. The context I heard it in was in baby bottles but that it's the heat that causes the plastic to start degrading.

Plastic bottles contain chemicals like Phthalates and bishpenol A. According to author Paula Baillie-Hamilton, M.D. who wrote "Toxic Overload" (Penguin, 2005) these chemicals can seep into the water.

"These toxins disrupt the endocrine system, interfering with hormonal balance to trigger symptoms like weight gain and fatigue," Baillie-Hamilton states.

Take a plastic water bottle and turn it over. Notice on the bottom there is a triangle shaped code. Here are the safest ones to look for.

PET or PETE 1
This is usually on store-bought single-serve water and is deemed safe for one-time use. Refilling these bottles may increase the risk that chemicals will seep into the water.

HDPE 2
This marks the gallon jugs and hasn't been linked to leeching of chemicals into the water. These are usually the safest for a reusable bottle. Check out Nalgene-outdoor.com for some of these.

PP5
This is plastic that is easily molded and made with fewer chemicals than other bottles. Also a good refillable bottle. Check our BackCountryGear.com for bottles made of this material.

*Did you know that there is a date stamped on the bottle of when the water was put into it? The date is stamped near the cap. Many bottles even carry a stamp stating "Best Used By..." Try to consume the water within six months of the bottling date to be safe. Toxin levels can climb to 90% in water that has been in PET bottles for over six months.
*Check for wear in bottles. These weak areas can give toxins an easy way out, says Dr. Baillie-Hamilton. To avoid this, don't refill disposable bottles that have dings or dents. If your bottle develops a weak spot while you are using it, try to pour the remaining water into another safe container. To reduce damage to bottles or exposure of the water to harmful chemicals, throw away any bottles that have been stowed in a hot car or left outside in hot weather. Hand-wash reusable bottles and air dry instead of using high-heat dishwashers.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131