over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reverse Pre-exhaust????

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
OK dont bust me for starting a subject on something i read in Flex magazine, just hear me out. I know the people they say the article is about usually has nothing to do with the article except his pix are there. This caught my attention though. . .

In an article on Richard Jones he talkes about Reverse Pre-exhausting muscle for this purpose. He says for example he wears out his rear delts first so when he does back they have no assistance and it makes the back have to do more of the work and work harder. Now i havent done that exactly but whenever i have tried to pre-exhaust chest by doing a ton of fly's before presses i just seemed to feel it MORE in the front delts and triceps (not what i wanted but u get the idea of the relation to his theory).

I think it kind of makes sense that if you exhaust the assisting muscles first then work the target muscle it makes it work harder when you get into the workout. The other side of it though is if u wear out the assisting muscles then you will lift less weight for less reps and not hit it as hard. Im lookin for some insight on this and hope i can get some in depth thoughts or information on this.

ive thought the exact same thing. For instance, rather than pre exhaust my quads with extentions before squatting or pressing i do the extentions afterwards and finish off my quads.

badboy715 said:
For instance, rather than pre exhaust my quads with extentions before squatting or pressing i do the extentions afterwards and finish off my quads.

You misunderstood what i wrote. Thats not the idea at all. The idea is to negate the effects of assisting muscles to force the target muscle to work harder.

EXAMPLE: Rear delts assist in all back movements. The idea would be to wear that muscle out first, THEN go do back knowing that you have already exhausted the rear delts and they can no longer assist in back movements.

Last edited:
ohh ok my bad bro, i see what your saying. Exhaust the assistance muscles rather than the main muscle used in an excercise so your saving the main muscle to be used hard. My bad

Very interesting tp4u. But don't you think its just s vicious cycle..? You do preexhaust and using your example on chest, your chest fatigues earlier on bench work and brings in more delt and tris like you said, instead of limiting their effects on fatiguing before the chest does.

The same with reverse preexhaust. With rows for example, preexahusting the rear delts first may lead to an 'incomplete' row.. meaning the rear delts are already fatigued previously and with them fatiguing earlier then the back in rows, wouldn't it then affect the way or range of movement a row should be done to properly hit the back. Say you have to adjust to do the row at another angle to properly hit the back and at the same time, may not still be able to do the exercise correctly.. know is tounds a bit confusing but i'm trying my best!! lol.. i personally don't believe in pre exhaustion.

lionel said:
Very interesting tp4u. But don't you think its just s vicious cycle..? You do preexhaust and using your example on chest, your chest fatigues earlier on bench work and brings in more delt and tris like you said, instead of limiting their effects on fatiguing before the chest does.

I just used chest as an example since iv done it before. This obviously is what you DONT want. Im just sayin whenever i tried to preexhaust my chest for a better chest workout it backfired.

For back his theory sounds like it would work but like you said, it might hurt more than help.

One concern...

As I read this, one concern comes to mind.
Pre-exhausting some assistance muscles may, just may, set you up for injury. Suppose, just for example, that you pre-exhaust front delts (or all delt muscles) before doing chest so that your delts aren't doing the work, but your pecs are, according to this theory.
Now, you're doing chest but without the stablization of the shoulder that the delts give. Since the glenohumeral joint, the joint formed by the upper arm bones and the shoulder blade is now less stable, it seems this would increase significantly the chance to get hurt - probably at that joint.
It also seems that this would work only with multi-joint exercises, such as presses, pulling, and leg press/squatting type movements. Just thinknig about it for a minute, I'd be very careful trying to use this idea, and for my own training, I'd never risk this increase in injury potential.

Just my two cents...

Thats why i come here n post shit long before i try it :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear