over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

RIP Matt Porter. aka FutureFreak

RIP. He seemed like a great guy by all accounts.

I also didn't know he had been diagnosed with heart failure years ago. He probably didn't discuss it because of not wanting to be judged for "going back to it" which is understandable.
I remember him posting his TRT before and after pics and saying how depressed he was before and felt like the living dead or something to that effect. And how test brought back the zest for life.

I've never used PED's, so I can't comment on them, but I would imagine it would be a psychological issue when you've achieved something and don't want to let go. In relation to what Bio said above it's important to always put things in perspective and be able to move on. To be honest, that is probably the most admirable thing I've found about Yates: his ability to move on after bodybuilding. So many guys can't.

Yates by his own account had a hell of a time with depression after his career, and he did some cycles here and there after too, and trt of course. He turned to drugs, "plant medicines" to heal his mind it seems. And spirituality and gurus of other than the bodybuilding kind.
Maybe those of us who have a hard time turning the page could perhaps benefit from joining him on one of those ayahuasca retreats he now promotes to gain new perspectives. I don't know because I never done any "trips". Just a bit apprehensive of becoming one of those acid casualities who people see as "space cadets" lost in space and freaks and or just generally odd. Yates still seems rather rational though, but who knows about the future.

In one his interviews for London Real he said one of the insights he's gained is that ego is man's biggest problem (I believe standard eastern spritual wisdom). But then the follow up question was what drove him to become Mr O. And the answer was the same: ego. I thought that was interesting to think about.

Thank you Dante. I know you guys were tight. I was a client and with how Matt treated me or anyone with just a random question you cant help but feel like good friends.

I appreciate the insight about PE.

I’ve had a few guys PM or text me about what heart test they should get. I recommend an echocardiogram if you can only choose one.

There is a hurdle, however. If you simply ask a doctor for one, he/she will ask why you need one and will make you give a reason for insurance to cover it. This is a legitimate hurdle. One option is to admit you’re on steroids (maybe tell them you’re stopping whether that’s true or not) and are worried about your heart, which should concern them enough to give you one. The system is not in favor of bodybuilders unfortunately.

Another option is to see if one of those companies that lets you get these tests for cheaper out of pocket is near you so you can go through them without hassle.

Ideally, we wouldn’t have to jump through these hoops for the sake of our health. I have a previous cardiac history so I am able to get one every six months.

I’ve had a few guys PM or text me about what heart test they should get. I recommend an echocardiogram if you can only choose one.

There is a hurdle, however. If you simply ask a doctor for one, he/she will ask why you need one and will make you give a reason for insurance to cover it. This is a legitimate hurdle. One option is to admit you’re on steroids (maybe tell them you’re stopping whether that’s true or not) and are worried about your heart, which should concern them enough to give you one. The system is not in favor of bodybuilders unfortunately.

Another option is to see if one of those companies that lets you get these tests for cheaper out of pocket is near you so you can go through them without hassle.

Ideally, we wouldn’t have to jump through these hoops for the sake of our health. I have a previous cardiac history so I am able to get one every six months.

How about if one of your parents had a heart attack young? Think they would go for it then?

I was able to get one for $600 which I thought was fair. Also, there are companies that do these for athletes screening purposes and they will do them VERY cheap ($100-$200).

If you are trying to buck the system if you also mention you have palpatations they will often do one. Hell with so many eating clen all day and taking 800mgs of caffeine a day that probably isn’t a lie lol

Amazing guy. RIP

Nothing but the utmost respect for Matt. We have lost a true genetlemen... RIP.

I was able to get one for $600 which I thought was fair. Also, there are companies that do these for athletes screening purposes and they will do them VERY cheap ($100-$200).

Yea, you might be able to get an echocardiogram for a few hundred or less.

Also keep in mind, that an echocardiogram does not visualize the coronary arteries, if you suspect you have coronary hypertension. You could have a normal ejection fraction, and still be a ticking time bomb.

Other imaging tests would be required, ie ct angiogram (non-invasive), coronary angiography (invasive) etc.

If lieu of these tests, a blood pressure device provides informative data about your cardiac output.

A patient who goes into acute cardiogenic shock (with their lungs filling with fluid and inadequate tissue perfusion), will have low systolic blood pressure.

Last edited:
How about if one of your parents had a heart attack young? Think they would go for it then?

Worth a shot, right?

If you are trying to buck the system if you also mention you have palpatations they will often do one. Hell with so many eating clen all day and taking 800mgs of caffeine a day that probably isn’t a lie lol

Good tip.

Also, this is extremely important information so listen up...

There is a blood test called NT Pro-BNP. It is a good indicator of whether you have heart failure or are working towards it, not only with systolic but ALSO diastolic HF. If you can’t get an echo, get this fucking blood test if you’re able to. You want as low a number as possible.

There is a blood test called NT Pro-BNP. It is a good indicator of whether you have heart failure or are working towards it, not only with systolic but ALSO diastolic HF. If you can’t get an echo, get this fucking blood test if you’re able to. You want as low a number as possible.
Is this something that can be ordered through private MD labs or is it something that needs to be addressed with a provider?

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk

Just say family history heart problems and you have chest pains. If that's not good enough reason, that's fked.

I havent read the thread. Im just going to state a couple things. Matt and I texted each other so much that I couldnt even scroll up enough when I tried to look thru all our texts the other day...I scrolled for like 5 minutes and gave up because it went back years. I sat in a restaurant yesterday by myself wiping away tears because of some things he said about his son (he loved being a dad). Just a good solid guy. Funny as hell. We had an inside joke we always went back and forth on...and I would seriously laugh out loud when he would text a new one over. He and I talked about so much stuff over the years...it was seriously ridiculous. I looked over all of Matts bloodwork the last few years that he would always send me. He would ask me advice on certain things but I want everyone to know he had pretty stellar bloodwork. I can say this matter of factly....Ive never known a bodybuilder who ate cleaner than Matt Porter day in and day out...that is scary in itself. Matt told me alot of things that he has not told anyone else...I know this because I hinted at a couple subjects with some close friends of his and their response told me that Matt never talked to them about them, which surprised the hell out of me.....he tested me a while back with something that happened to him and I didnt tell a soul....and on the other hand I called him up and saved him one time from an individual who definitely didnt have his best interests in mind...so he knew i had his back and vice versa.
I am just going to say this. I think I know how Matt passed and I believe it to be along the lines of a PE (but thats as far as Im going with it because if I go further it will not go well on this board at all....that I know for sure). I am pretty sure with the trust we had for each other that Matt was straight with me with what he was taking and dosage wise over the last few years. We talked about it at length. I dont think he was lying to me. Because there were too many conversations and when there are alot of conversations lying gets muddled and things get mixed up.....and he would reference something he said to me a year and a half ago and it was exactly what he told me a year and a half ago. He was not abusing himself in the least. Regardless.....the guy added a great amount of value to this genre. He brought alot to the table and alot of people benefited from his advice. I cannot even put into words how terrible i feel for his wife Rachel....just terrible. She asked to be left alone in her post, and I think people should abide by that. Some people like to talk things out in devastating situations and some people like to go into a cocoon and heal themselves.
This is a person that added a great wealth of information to the bodybuilding world and if you reading this garnered anything from his advice over the last 10 years, I ask you just one thing....just donate 5 dollars or something to his wife Rachel and their son Noah on the gofund me account. Just 5 dollars for a good solid guy, who really went out of his way to help people.

Rest in Peace Matt

I did meet Matt one time last year in Vegas at trade show, he give me a very good impression, very nice men. RIP

Is this something that can be ordered through private MD labs or is it something that needs to be addressed with a provider?

direct labs has it so I'm sure it's easily attained with any type of similar service

I got this specific test a little over a year ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This blood test may cause some misinterpretation on its own. I would expect exercise and liver issues to cause false positives.

Elevated NPs levels have shown predictive value in various diseases that have direct or indirect influences on the heart functions in many non-HF circumstances, even in the absence of depressed cardiac function. It should be noted that NPs should never be interpreted without thorough clinical messages. NPs are very sensitive for primary or secondary cardiac dysfunction, but the specificity is low. Potential clinical applications of NPs are expanded, accompanied by emerging reports regarding to screening for the presence of secondary cardiac dysfunction, monitoring the therapeutic responses, risk stratifications, or providing prognostic values in many settings. Clinical decision on timely and costly cardiac examinations or more risky and invasive procedures rather than deferred, conservative strategies might be facilitated by appropriate use and interpretation of NPs. However, clinicians should recognize that currently the only reasonable application for routine practice is limited to differentiation of acute dyspnea, ruleout-diagnostic-tests (high NPV and low positive predictive values), monitoring of therapeutic responses, and prognosis of acute or decompensated CHF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824858/

Last edited:
RIP Matt..

I had it done through Life Extension’s lab testing when I was out of state

This blood test may cause some misinterpretation on its own. I would expect exercise and liver issues to cause false positives.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824858/

Cool good to know. Hopefully everyone knows by now not to train for 2-3 days before any blood tests to be on the same side. CRP can also cause a false high as well.

I took 3 days off and scored a 14 last year (range <400). I was thrilled.

I think Matt fulfilled this premise, most people go through this world without making any kind of contribution or transcendence.

"The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it."

William James

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear