over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Starting Strength

kingpeon

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What do you guys think about Rip's program? I'm feeling like it's time to get back to basics for awhile, build some real power and bulk up a bit over the winter. Any guidance or suggestions from the experienced users? Program's as simple as it gets but hey, you never know.

What do you guys think about Rip's program? I'm feeling like it's time to get back to basics for awhile, build some real power and bulk up a bit over the winter. Any guidance or suggestions from the experienced users? Program's as simple as it gets but hey, you never know.

Do you have a link to it or explanation on what it is??
I'm not familiar with it at all

Question, why do you think u need to get back to "the basics?"

I only ask because starting strength is legit for guys JUST LEARNING strength training and the initial movements.
You can still do more volume, more exercises, more everything while still spending time building bench/squat/deadlift strength.

I've done same personal training consults on people who have religiously followed this program and a while it does a good job at pushing progression, they tend to do it, get good results and then have to totally stop training due to burnout or nagging injury. Some also had muscle imbalance and mobility issues that were not being addressed due to the spartan nature of the program and its tendency towards pattern overload. There were also people who made great gains in this when in high school who were attempting to do the exact same program when a bit older, and this obviously did not go as well.

Again, not a bad program when you add some periodization and appropriate accessory work in.

Whenever I see Mark Rippetoe talk i wonder what his blood pressure is. Strength is great and all, but an effective exercise program should also be doing things to address cardiovascular health, in particular the type of hypertension that leaves you permanently pink.

Question, why do you think u need to get back to "the basics?"

I only ask because starting strength is legit for guys JUST LEARNING strength training and the initial movements.
You can still do more volume, more exercises, more everything while still spending time building bench/squat/deadlift strength.
I don't "need" to do anything, it's a change of pace for the sake of a change of pace

doing more of anything other than my only goal will only hold me back and delay reaching said goal

back to basics to me means focusing all energy on one goal, getting stronger, as fast as possible, on the big lifts

no accessory movements, no isolation movements, no frills no thrills, strictly building as much raw power as I'm capable of and harnessing all recovery abilities to the accomplishment of the task at hand

If you're looking for a cookie cutter program I'd look at wendlers 5/3/1. Most current strength programs are RPE based and many intermediate or novice strength athletes are turned off by them. Jimmy's program is minimalist and intense.

Just do the 4 day a week texas method. It's better and great for strength/size even if you already are somewhat advanced.

I needed to do the same thing a couple years ago and ran Sheiko for 16 weeks.

all barbell, super high frequency, super high volume...it was the strongest I’ve been since I used heavy and I got there fast

Just do the 4 day a week texas method. It's better and great for strength/size even if you already are somewhat advanced.
i did this with the SS program and made it a 6 day double split

It's for people who are not yet intermediate lifters. If you are strong, this program is not intended for you.

It's for people who are not yet intermediate lifters. If you are strong, this program is not intended for you.
or for seasoned physique athletes who are bored with conventional bodybuilding exercises and feel like banging on a boring beginner program for a change of routine and to perhaps spark some new growth

I prefer not to live inside a box that I've painted myself into the corner of, but hey, that's just me

or for seasoned physique athletes who are bored with conventional bodybuilding exercises and feel like banging on a boring beginner program for a change of routine and to perhaps spark some new growth

I prefer not to live inside a box that I've painted myself into the corner of, but hey, that's just me

I have done this routine (and liked how I looked):

Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift

1x5 each, 3 days weekly

I believe with minimalist programs some more frequency (or sets) can be fine for mass building (mass was my goal.) So here I had the thrice weekly frequency for the biggest lifts.

As a matter of fact, I have rarely trained on a program that is significantly dissimilar to SS. I am a major fan of compound exercises.

If you need SS, go for it, you're clearly stating you can benefit from it or anything similar.

I've done same personal training consults on people who have religiously followed this program and a while it does a good job at pushing progression, they tend to do it, get good results and then have to totally stop training due to burnout or nagging injury. Some also had muscle imbalance and mobility issues that were not being addressed due to the spartan nature of the program and its tendency towards pattern overload. There were also people who made great gains in this when in high school who were attempting to do the exact same program when a bit older, and this obviously did not go as well.

Again, not a bad program when you add some periodization and appropriate accessory work in.

Whenever I see Mark Rippetoe talk i wonder what his blood pressure is. Strength is great and all, but an effective exercise program should also be doing things to address cardiovascular health, in particular the type of hypertension that leaves you permanently pink.
Starting strength is a great program for learning the basic barbell lifts, establishing a base of coordination and mobility, and building some newbie-gainz LBM in one's first 6-9 months of training. But Rippetoe's training philosophy for what you should do afterword just falls completely flat on its face. Nobody has ever done well in powerlifting or in bodybuilding training like rippetoe advocates for his arbitrarily designated "intermediate" and "advanced" lifters. And like you said, developing muscular imbalances is practically a certainty if you train this way for a long time; noodle arms, non existent delts, and massive glutes and hamstrings. That might be fine for a kid benching 185x5x3 or whatever, but as you get stronger those muscular imbalances will start to matter a lot, even if your main goal is strength.

Starting strength is a great program for learning the basic barbell lifts, establishing a base of coordination and mobility, and building some newbie-gainz LBM in one's first 6-9 months of training. But Rippetoe's training philosophy for what you should do afterword just falls completely flat on its face. Nobody has ever done well in powerlifting or in bodybuilding training like rippetoe advocates for his arbitrarily designated "intermediate" and "advanced" lifters. And like you said, developing muscular imbalances is practically a certainty if you train this way for a long time; noodle arms, non existent delts, and massive glutes and hamstrings. That might be fine for a kid benching 185x5x3 or whatever, but as you get stronger those muscular imbalances will start to matter a lot, even if your main goal is strength.
Great point and is the reason I'm only dipping the toe in the water for a few months until around springtime then it's back to micro-periodization and plenty of variety and volume

Great point and is the reason I'm only dipping the toe in the water for a few months until around springtime then it's back to micro-periodization and plenty of variety and volume
There are plenty of powerlifting programs that would suit you well..it all comes down to volume and frequency.

starting strength and smolov and suchare on the low side.

shieko, bulgarian(no, just no) areextremely high volume.

another avenue I think you should consider is the super squat program. When I hit a training rut I alwaysrun super squats..but I do it for squat, bench, and seated military press..sometimes bent over rows too! It essentially turns your 5 rep max into a 20 rep max...it’s great for resetting your brain when it comes to mental toughness and grinding shit out

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131