advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Strength Loss while dieting down........

StoryOfTheYear

Registered
Hey fellas. How's everything with you guys? Anyway, to get to the point. Ever since I've been dieting down my strength losses are really bothering me!!!! Im down a few reps on everything!!! So, I was wondering how your guys' strength losses are when dieting down. Like, how severe are they? thanks -StOrY-

Many factors can play into your strength loss(how little or how much) depending on different variables. This is normal. If I were you, don't worry about it. Being strong isn't everything and it's mostly in the mind. I saw your pics and told you to get down in size in order to get back into shape. You hadn't put on "true" development as that takes time/years. I know it sucks to hear that. Depending on your goals stay lean and build from that slowly so the muscle is quality. Good luck!

pumpputnam said:
Many factors can play into your strength loss(how little or how much) depending on different variables. This is normal. If I were you, don't worry about it. Being strong isn't everything and it's mostly in the mind. I saw your pics and told you to get down in size in order to get back into shape. You hadn't put on "true" development as that takes time/years. I know it sucks to hear that. Depending on your goals stay lean and build from that slowly so the muscle is quality. Good luck!

Alright, thanks PP!!!! Im workin on the diet and leaning out really nicely!!! Ill post some pics in a couple more weeks so you can tell me what you think!!!! thanks again PP -StOrY-

Just dont laugh at me when I post my pics lookin like a twig!!! lol :p

I hate losing strength. Kills you mentally. Like i told Petey boy... id rather grow into contest form than diet DOWN into it. Im always at my strongest 4 weeks out.

TooPowerful4u said:
I hate losing strength. Kills you mentally. Like i told Petey boy... id rather grow into contest form than diet DOWN into it. Im always at my strongest 4 weeks out.

This is true for a very limited # of people. Your a freak Phil and you need to get YOUR BUTT in gear during the off-season! You better bring it to the Body Roc! I'll check you out at the Pittsburgh Pro May 5th my friend. PS Tamara will be doing that show.:)

One idea...

My experience is that strength loss is a function of straight-line tpye dieting.
This is the kind of diet where you progressively cut calories, and for most, also progressively add aerobics.

Every show I got ready for, and every time I lost weight, I used a cyclic ketogenic diet, and virtually no aerobics. I also continued, at various points in the diet, to lift heavy weights for sets of triples, and sets of 6-8, and stayed away from excessive sets and reps unless carb depleting.

Strength losses using this approach were virtually non-existent, and in some exercises, I would get stronger as time went on.

TooPowerful4u said:

Well you suck!! ;) So Dad, youre saying if your doing a ketogenic type diet that you yourself can gain strength on it? Getting weaker sucks!! lol I just want to diet down though and be lean and not worry too much about strength as Pump mentioned. thanks for the input fellas. -StOrY-

Well...

I don't gain strength on all exercises - some are work to hold strength, some I have no trouble holding strength on, and a few, I do get stronger on, but slowly over time.

Genetics certainly plays into all this as it does in all aspects of training, diet, drug use, etc, but I think, having tried a LOT of different things over the years, and watched a lot of others, that the program has a significant influence as well.

Just my 2 cents...

STORY...NOT ONLY DO I TEND TO LOSE STRENGTH...

BUT IT IS ALSO EASY FOR ME TO GET HURT IF I TRY TO LIFT AS HEAVY AS i DO IN THE WHEN I AM HEAVY AND EATING LOTS OF FOOD....SO DON'T FEEL LIKE THE LONE RANGER. THE THING IS...I GET STRONG IN A HURRY ONCE I EAT AGAIN. I WOULDN'T WORRY A HELL OF A LOT ABOUT IT.:D

Certainly dont think im a freak. I just feel that when i kick it in gear during dieting, it shocks my body into growth cause i havent been feeding my body right or training hard, so it sucks it up. I told Pete that if i bulked corretly i probably couldnt GROW INTO my competition form.

StoryOfTheYear said:
Hey fellas. How's everything with you guys? Anyway, to get to the point. Ever since I've been dieting down my strength losses are really bothering me!!!! Im down a few reps on everything!!! So, I was wondering how your guys' strength losses are when dieting down. Like, how severe are they? thanks -StOrY-

Hang in there. Losing some strength happens to most when dieting down.

AG
www.ag-guys.com

bound to happen.....

r u training for strength? does it matter how much lift on stage? adapt, stimulate and then adapt to energy levels. Good way to get injured is to lift heavy as possible on low carbs low sodium levels. Cant lift heavy up the volume. My mentor once said to me "Its not how much weight u use, its how much u use the weight"
gooey

jawbreakerkid said:
I don't remember saying that

I got a better one....

Its not how heavy you lift, its how well you lift heavy

TooPowerful4u said:
I got a better one....

Its not how heavy you lift, its how well you lift heavy

mines even better

Its not how much pussy you get , its how well you hit that pussy .

hope that helps .

Vander_V said:
mines even better

Its not how much pussy you get , its how well you hit that pussy .

hope that helps .

LOL!!!

Shit, man you just made me crack up. I was expecting soem statement with great wisdom behind it and outcomes that! :p

gooey said:
r u training for strength? does it matter how much lift on stage? adapt, stimulate and then adapt to energy levels. Good way to get injured is to lift heavy as possible on low carbs low sodium levels. Cant lift heavy up the volume. My mentor once said to me "Its not how much weight u use, its how much u use the weight"
gooey

Great advice Goo, thanks for all the others too. im outty!!!!!! -StOrY-

A final thought

A final point I'd like to stress is that strength loss is NOT inevitable when losing bodyfat.

I've been a little surprised by how many have just sort of accepted that they will, without question, lose strength. I don't think this is necessary OR acceptable. It means you're catabolic, in negative nitrogen balance, and that your body is using muscle for fuel.

The couple of weeks before a show? Maybe, but not 4, 6, 8 10 or more weeks out.

Dad said:
A final point I'd like to stress is that strength loss is NOT inevitable when losing bodyfat.

I've been a little surprised by how many have just sort of accepted that they will, without question, lose strength. I don't think this is necessary OR acceptable. It means you're catabolic, in negative nitrogen balance, and that your body is using muscle for fuel.

The couple of weeks before a show? Maybe, but not 4, 6, 8 10 or more weeks out.

AGREED! Again im always strongest 4-6 weeks out (and i mean stronger than when bulking) I dont EVER look in the mirror and feel "this is acceptable, let me diet down with the muscle i have and step on stage". HELL NO! Im like ok this is aight, but i want bigger and better, im gonna MAKE my ass grow into show form... bigger... better... deeper cuts.... improve as much as i can all the way up. With this mentality and proper nutrient timing and training, i havent failed to grow INTO contest form yet. Im twice the size on stage than at the beginning of my diet.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws