over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study (rat): Rosemary increases HDL and lowers LDL

Swifto

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Increase HDL by 28% and lowers LDL by 115%. Also showed kidney protective effects.

Biomarkers. 2020 Mar 12:1-9. doi: 10.1080/1354750X.2020.1737734. [Epub ahead of print]
Protective effect of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) against diethylnitrosamine-induced renal injury in rats.
Hassanen NHM1, Fahmi A2, Shams-Eldin E1, Abdur-Rahman M2.
Author information
1Special Food and Nutrition Department, Food Technology Research Institute, Agriculture Research Center, Giza, Egypt.2Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.
Abstract
Context: The kidney plays a central role in detoxification and excretion of toxic metabolites, and therefore, is susceptible to toxicity by xenobiotics.Objective: To investigate the protective effect of Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) powder and its essential (volatile) oil against diethylnitrosamine (DEN)-induced renal injury in rats.Materials and methods: Phenolic and flavonoid components were characterised in rosemary powder using HPLC-UV instrument while rosemary essential oil (E.O) was investigated via GC-MS technique. In rat model, rosemary was administrated orally (in diet) for two months. Lipid profile, antioxidant biomarkers, kidney functions and histopathological examinations were assessed.Results: Hesperidin (4878.88 ppm) and ellagic acid (403.57 ppm) are among the major phenolic and flavonoid constituents in rosemary powder. Camphor (18.36%) and α-pinene (12.74%) represent the main E.O active ingredients. Rats treated with rosemary E.O showed a significant elevation in serum HDL (28.28%) accompanied by a decrease in LDL (115.47%). A significant decrease in serum creatinine and urea was also reported (69.72 and 109.89%, respectively). Moreover, serum glutathione peroxidise (GSH-Px) activity has been significantly increased. Kidney histopathological examinations confirmed the protective effect against DEN-induced abnormalities.Conclusion: Rosemary (powder/E.O) was able to reduce or even prevent the severity of diethylnitrosamine-induced renal dysfunction.
KEYWORDS:
Diethylnitrosamine; GSH-Px; cholesterol; kidney function; rosemary essential oil; total antioxidant
PMID: 32118487 DOI: 10.1080/1354750X.2020.1737734

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32118487

Rat "with" a pinch of rosemary?
Sorry, kinda had too.

Very interesting.
Rosemary powder/E.O?
My 80 yr/old mom finds a way to put rosemary into everything.
Has an entire section of her garden dedicated to it and lavender.
Nac/TUDCA for the liver...now rosemary E.O for the kidneys.
Maybe oral AAS are back on the menu?!

Rat "with" a pinch of rosemary?
Sorry, kinda had too.

Very interesting.
Rosemary powder/E.O?
My 80 yr/old mom finds a way to put rosemary into everything.
Has an entire section of her garden dedicated to it and lavender.
Nac/TUDCA for the liver...now rosemary E.O for the kidneys.
Maybe oral AAS are back on the menu?!

I was trawling pubmed like I used to and found some stuff that I thought was interesting. Rodent study I know who have different haematological and immunological systems, but it might be worth continuing to look at if more data comes to light on humans.

Interesting... Is there a form of Rosemary extract that we can use?

Interesting... Is there a form of Rosemary extract that we can use?

Very early days. It may be one to watch.

This is a very recent study done last month. Maybe some supplement company will jump on it now.

More from 2011.

Effects of rosemary on lipid profile in diabetic rats

This study was to determine the mechanism underlying the hypoglycaemic activity of the aqueous extract perfusion of rosemary in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. The sugar level and lipid profile were investigated in plasma of normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats treated with rosemary for four weeks. Diabetic rats exhibited an increase in the levels of sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and low density lipoprotein (LDL), and a decrease in the level of high density lipoprotein (HDL). The administration of rosemary showed a decrease of 20% in sugar level, 22% cholesterol, 24% triglycerides, 27% (LDL), and increase 18% in (HDL). The findings of this study indicate that the administration of rosemary shows better lipid profile as well as decrease in the sugar level in both normal and diabetic rats.

More from 2011.

Effects of rosemary on lipid profile in diabetic rats

This study was to determine the mechanism underlying the hypoglycaemic activity of the aqueous extract perfusion of rosemary in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. The sugar level and lipid profile were investigated in plasma of normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats treated with rosemary for four weeks. Diabetic rats exhibited an increase in the levels of sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides and low density lipoprotein (LDL), and a decrease in the level of high density lipoprotein (HDL). The administration of rosemary showed a decrease of 20% in sugar level, 22% cholesterol, 24% triglycerides, 27% (LDL), and increase 18% in (HDL). The findings of this study indicate that the administration of rosemary shows better lipid profile as well as decrease in the sugar level in both normal and diabetic rats.
I couldn't seem to find anywhere what the dose per bodyweight was. All I found in the studies was this from the 2nd one:

"Rosemary extraction

50 gm of rosemary were soaked in 150 ml hot water (88°C) in water
bath for 6 h. Then filtered by capron silic cloth 150 µ and the filtrate
(which was 45 ml) were stored in dark bottles in refrigerator at
(4°C). These procedures were repeated each week. Each group of
rats were orally administrated of 0.5 ml rosemary extract"

Doesnt really say even the mass in grams they ended up giving the rats. Don't know the mass of the rats. Just wondering how much an adult male would have to take to mimic the amount given to the rats.

Have to access the full papers of each.

I couldn't seem to find anywhere what the dose per bodyweight was. All I found in the studies was this from the 2nd one:

"Rosemary extraction

50 gm of rosemary were soaked in 150 ml hot water (88°C) in water
bath for 6 h. Then filtered by capron silic cloth 150 µ and the filtrate
(which was 45 ml) were stored in dark bottles in refrigerator at
(4°C). These procedures were repeated each week. Each group of
rats were orally administrated of 0.5 ml rosemary extract"

Doesnt really say even the mass in grams they ended up giving the rats. Don't know the mass of the rats. Just wondering how much an adult male would have to take to mimic the amount given to the rats.

Unless my thinking cap is screwed on backwards this morning. The dosage would be 55mg/kg.

They placed 50gms of rosemary in rinse/filtrate with a net solution of 45mL. Which would equal 1.1mg/mL. They administered 0.5mL/55mg.

To extrapolate human equivalent interspecies allometric scaling. The HED (human equivalent dose) from rat to a human at roughly 200lbs/90.718kg would be 6707.557mg of rosemary.

Up for corrections as my coffee hasn't kicked in yet 😁

Unless my thinking cap is screwed on backwards this morning. The dosage would be 55mg/kg.

They placed 50gms of rosemary in rinse/filtrate with a net solution of 45mL. Which would equal 1.1mg/mL. They administered 0.5mL/55mg.

To extrapolate human equivalent interspecies allometric scaling. The HED (human equivalent dose) from rat to a human at roughly 200lbs/90.718kg would be 6707.557mg of rosemary.

Up for corrections as my coffee hasn't kicked in yet

I didn't see the dose of .5ml per kg. That'll do it. 6.7g dose is reasonable for sure.

Cant quote...

Thanks Stewie.

Looks like we will be waiting for some extract to come out then that may possess similar effects in humans.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws