over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tanita Body fat scale

Vespa103

Registered
Ok so I bought one of these Tanita bf scales

Here is the scoop

I can set it to athlete or non athlete and thats a 5% difference in BF so I am going to say athlete

You put in your age height and it gives your weight, BF%, Hydration level,LBM, Bone mass and BMR some kind of calorie count and a BMR age whatever the fuck that is

Well I tried those handheld things before and they are complete crap toys

I will say this thing is definately a step above those

My BF is different in the AM vs. afternoon/evening 3% range I think this has to do with my hydration thats being used in calc BF has lower hydration than muscle + food in my belly

Now I am not sure how accurate this thing is but at least if done in the am it is consistent 1% range

I am not pluggin a product(ok I am but not getting paid) just given you guys some info as I remember these things were shit a couple years ago

Also It is way better than having some idiot trying to pinch me and much more consistent

I spent 110$ for the top of the line model

Thoughts opinions etc

we have the same scale where i work. we use it on clients. itwill read our clients to be 10% bf and they will still have a gut. usually when someone is around 10% bf they are far from having a gut.

Woody as I eat during the day I get heavier and have a biggger gut but it reads me as being less BF% about 3% less

Has to do with added weight but same resistence to the charge I think

Anyway the way I get consistency is the AM measurement it is putting me significantly over 10% and I can see my abs

I always get lower on pinch test by doctors and tape test by military significant again

As said I got the newest model question if you work at a gym what kind of results are you guys getting using the calipers?

did you get ironman edition?

i just got mine about 3 weeks ago, and its ok...depending on your bodywater percentage, the bodyfat changes, but it is always withing a 3% range.
so do i consider it completelly accurate...NO
but it def. a go way to track ones progress.

i started logging on a piece of paper, and i take the measurements at the same time of the day...

good piece to track your progress

I have one & it's useless. I have blurry abs & it listed me at 24% this morning. I can drink a glass of water & 5 mins later my bf% will drop by 3%. I'd love to find a scale that is somewhat accurate, but the Tanita scale ain't it.

I started dieting for a show at 13% on them, after 20weeks dieting, and 22pounds lost, blurred abs to vascular abs, and the scales told me I was up to 18.5%.
Reading tea leaves would be more accurate.

the bodyfat ranges depending on de water percantage...

so if at 59.7% of bodywater i have a 13.2% of bodyfat, if tomorrow my body WATER PERCENTAGE IS 56, then my bodyfat % will be higher than 13.2%.

however given that your bodywater % is the same throughout the week , the bodyfat % should NOT change much.

i determine a set body water % and then i use that number as a base to measure my bodyfat. so i know in order to get an accurate reading, my body needs to be hydrated at around 59%.

i agree the scales could be off, from day to day, but the method of readin ones bodyfat in the tanitas is factured between height, weight and bodywater percentage (i believe so).

all in all i dont think its a bad tool

Last edited:
Mine sucks but I got it like 4 years ago-maybe you have a new model.

Juicy

I have the ironman version as well got it 2 weeks ago

The thing is in the AM my belly is empty and my hydration is consistent. First thing in the am its a 1% range so far later in the day its 3% but first thing is 1% range which I consider good

I do not care how accurate the thing is only that its consistent and if done when I first get out of bed it is

If I can track progress I do not care if its high or low as long as it tells me when I am making progress

Additionally its nice to know your hydration and motivates me to drink fluids

Now I am not saying its perfect but I do recomend it beats just seeing your weight

How do you know it is accurate in the AM what are you comparing it to?

CROWLER

Vespa103 said:
Juicy

I have the ironman version as well got it 2 weeks ago

The thing is in the AM my belly is empty and my hydration is consistent. First thing in the am its a 1% range so far later in the day its 3% but first thing is 1% range which I consider good

I do not care how accurate the thing is only that its consistent and if done when I first get out of bed it is

If I can track progress I do not care if its high or low as long as it tells me when I am making progress

Additionally its nice to know your hydration and motivates me to drink fluids

Now I am not saying its perfect but I do recomend it beats just seeing your weight

i agree...
a few things...you hydration level is the morning is not always the same.
so one day you could wake with a 56% of bodywater and another day you could wake with a 59%....and depending on that your bodyfat will change too.

now if you bodywater percentage is withing a error margin of 1%, then the bodyfat should be a lot more accurate.

so i personally base my reading depending on my water %...i choose a base of 59%, when my body is hydrate at that percentage then i read and track my progress of bodyfat.

i agree with you , its not perfect it lets you know if you need more fluids, and it agood way to track your progress too.

btw which model of the ironman did u get?

I have the 552 Ironman its a newer model

And as I said not worried about accuracy as much as consitensy

In the am after I pee it is consitent actually less than a 1% range

Of course its different if I eat or drink thats why I do it first

Yes its all over 3% range once you start eating and drinking but on an empty stomach(digested during the night) it is consistent

As far as getting crazy readings I have seen those on other scales but this one is consistent

I guess the real truth will be told as I get leaner if the scale reflects that information

Again a lot of people do will not like what they see(no flame intended) and will never step on these things twice but I think its good so far

i got the 554 model...shows the bone density and visceral fat extra.

what i mean is depending how your fluid intake was the day before, when you wake up even after eating anything your bodywater will be different, but your your bodywater is consistent then your bodyfat will be too

Sounds like it works off impedence. These have been around some time and ARE NOT accurate. Your hydration levels can fluctuate for MANY DIFFERENT reasons (this is how impedence works) - how much water drank, or being dehydrated, just worked out, just woke up, just ate, haven't eaten in some time, and the list goes on.

I've seen these scales tell fat people they were lean and obviously lean people that they were fat. You'd be better off by getting someone who knows how to consistently check with calipers.

I have one and never have used it for BF. It told me 22% when I was lean. It told me 18% when I was sick for a while and had a gut and couldn't workout. It does work on impedance I believe.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear