over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Titling Threads So That People Can Quickly Recognize the Point of the Thread

Cosmicdrifter

Registered
I try to learn from this board, but sometimes it's very difficult. I spend a lot of time checking out threads that are irrelevant to me personally because the titles are cryptic.

Titles like - "Would you?" - or - "Can you believe this?" - or "Thoughts." It would make it much easier for someone to zero in on threads that interested them if the title of the thread was descriptive of the point of the thread.

For instance the title "Would You?" might really be about something like - "Would you pork a fat girl if she had a sweaty thong?" - which has limited interest value.

If it were, "Would You...do extra sets on a leg press because a hot girl with tight pants was showing a camel toe?" Granted it's longer, but there is no rule that says you cannot be comprehensive in your thread title.

The thread title should summarize the intent and focus of the thread so that people trying to learn can zip to the threads that are relevant for them. I know that some people read every thread on the the page, but some are only interested in information relevant to their specific issues.

Of course most of what is on a board is opinion, conjecture, anecdotal supposition, personal experience, and bullshit but it is often interesting anyway. The most interesting for many are the new studies that are brought forth from scientific journals.

In which case instead of titling the thread - "Study," you might want to title it - "A New Study That Disputes the Value of Ingesting Protein During Resistance Training" - which would allow someone to make the choice to read it more easily.

I know many of you think this is a small issue, but when I arrive at the home page for PM the thread titles look like a collection of comments form Oprah's guests.

"Would you pork a fat girl if she had a sweaty thong?"
Depends how much test im on at the moment

I try to learn from this board, but sometimes it's very difficult. I spend a lot of time checking out threads that are irrelevant to me personally because the titles are cryptic.

Titles like - "Would you?" - or - "Can you believe this?" - or "Thoughts." It would make it much easier for someone to zero in on threads that interested them if the title of the thread was descriptive of the point of the thread.

For instance the title "Would You?" might really be about something like - "Would you pork a fat girl if she had a sweaty thong?" - which has limited interest value.

If it were, "Would You...do extra sets on a leg press because a hot girl with tight pants was showing a camel toe?" Granted it's longer, but there is no rule that says you cannot be comprehensive in your thread title.

The thread title should summarize the intent and focus of the thread so that people trying to learn can zip to the threads that are relevant for them. I know that some people read every thread on the the page, but some are only interested in information relevant to their specific issues.

Of course most of what is on a board is opinion, conjecture, anecdotal supposition, personal experience, and bullshit but it is often interesting anyway. The most interesting for many are the new studies that are brought forth from scientific journals.

In which case instead of titling the thread - "Study," you might want to title it - "A New Study That Disputes the Value of Ingesting Protein During Resistance Training" - which would allow someone to make the choice to read it more easily.

I know many of you think this is a small issue, but when I arrive at the home page for PM the thread titles look like a collection of comments form Oprah's guests.

I fully agree.

seriously...???

Take a look at all the threads on this forum and see if you can guess what point the author is making with the thread. On the other hand, if you like a mystery and would rather read through the initial post to discover what he is going on about, then you don't need a succinct title.

If you don't know what thread is about a quick obvious solution is to simply hold you curser over the Thread title and it will show the first paragraph of the thread. Easy.... ;)

If you don't know what thread is about a quick obvious solution is to simply hold you curser over the Thread title and it will show the first paragraph of the thread. Easy.... ;)

This is perhaps the most useful feature of a browser I've come across - I use it hundreds of times a day...

-S

But then you eliminate the need for long winded, rant filled posts dictating how people should form thoughts on public internet boards. I vote -1 for this useful solution.

I have to agree that having threads title that mean nothing drive me nuts. The above feature makes it extremely easy to see if I want to open the thread. I do it all the time here at PM. I'm a member at several unrelated boards that don't have this feature and it makes it hard to sift through a week's worth of posts to pull out the ones I want to read.

So while people, myself included, find it irritating to have unspecific thread titles - at least there is a feature available here at PM to alleviate that personal frustration. To be honest, unspecified thread titles don't bother me one bit on PM because they are so easy to preview.

"also, would everyone please use mla standard format as stated in chapter 13 of your textbook?"

I agree, but a vague topic line can generate intrest.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear