over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To use a personal trainer for next show or not? That is the question

I have a guy here(where I live) who is IFBB pro, big guy, seems to know his shit. I've been bodybuilding now for about 12 yrs, so I would not need him for personal training or shit like that, but for more in detail stuff like what to use, when to drop it, what to add, amounts, check me out occasionally and evaluate things, etc etc. I talked to him briefly and told him what I was looking to do. I told him I wanted try and push as much size as possible for this show, if it meant walking out at 220 @ 7% bf as opposed to 205 @ 4% bf, I'm the type to opt for the 220 ya know? Here is the deal, I'm not looking to win or anything like that, I'm just using the show as a goal to try and look my best and show people what I got. I want to be that guy that comes out and people are like "holy shit, look at the size of him" Ok, without getting off course too much, guy is looking to charge me about $700 from here until showtime. I can do it in installments, whatever works. I just dont want to pay that sort of cash for someone to be like "you need GH" or to try and give me some sort of hookup to make more money off me. Do you guys know what I'm saying? If its legitimate diet advice or something more in depth than I already know I'm down with it, if not I probably wont do it. Is what he is charging a fair deal? Also, I feel that $700 may be money better spent on gear than the personal training. I'm just trying to keep this from becoming like every other show, a money pit that fucks me up as soon as I get back to the real world and the competition is over

phil

i have no ties to phil and have never hired him so there's nothing in this for me but just let me say if i thought of competing again he would be my first choice by far.

I have a guy here(where I live) who is IFBB pro, big guy, seems to know his shit. I've been bodybuilding now for about 12 yrs, so I would not need him for personal training or shit like that, but for more in detail stuff like what to use, when to drop it, what to add, amounts, check me out occasionally and evaluate things, etc etc. I talked to him briefly and told him what I was looking to do. I told him I wanted try and push as much size as possible for this show, if it meant walking out at 220 @ 7% bf as opposed to 205 @ 4% bf, I'm the type to opt for the 220 ya know? Here is the deal, I'm not looking to win or anything like that, I'm just using the show as a goal to try and look my best and show people what I got. I want to be that guy that comes out and people are like "holy shit, look at the size of him" Ok, without getting off course too much, guy is looking to charge me about $700 from here until showtime. I can do it in installments, whatever works. I just dont want to pay that sort of cash for someone to be like "you need GH" or to try and give me some sort of hookup to make more money off me. Do you guys know what I'm saying? If its legitimate diet advice or something more in depth than I already know I'm down with it, if not I probably wont do it. Is what he is charging a fair deal? Also, I feel that $700 may be money better spent on gear than the personal training. I'm just trying to keep this from becoming like every other show, a money pit that fucks me up as soon as I get back to the real world and the competition is over

If you can afford more gear you can afford someone to dial you in unless you know what your doing even at that the mind can play tricks on you. If you wont hire a trainer at least get someone you trust to tell you there honest opion of how you are looking most of all the last few days.

Does if have a history of clients winning shows?

From my own expirence, it doesn't matter if he's a IFBB Pro,(or the current Mr. Oylmpia ;)) He has to know how to adjust for different people. If he has a history of bringing people into great condition for shows, $700 isn't bad, if that's for about tweleve weeks of advice.
Have him lay out exactly what your getting for your money. Don't get stuck in that "Gray" area, after you've started your prep with him. If he can't lay out what your getting for your money, be leary.

As far as a history of clients winning shows, yea he does. This is one of the reasons I contacted him, he's trained some guys who I thought were pretty badass. Anyways, I met with him and he took a look at me. I decided to use him. I'm 17 wks out now, he told me I'd need 14 wks from where I'm at now to get where he wants me. Right now we are just going to maintain and eat decent another 3 wks, then its on

You won't be disappointed with PHIL, that I can tell you for sure.

So you are going to pay someone to come in second??? I will charge you $600..

for $700? i'd just buy some GH if i were you
I have paid a lot of people to "train" me or whatever... some who are very famous on all these BB forums, and some from here and there... trust me, all the info they have is here in on the boards. all you need is LOGIC and a good unbiased friend to tell you if you look good or not.
2 weeks ago, i had a contest and there was this guy that had pro potential... i'm serious. and everyone was asking about him.. and the most asked question was "who did his prep"... and the answer was "maitham"... he's a very famous bodybuilder in these parts and the dude would just blow your mind... my question to everyone else was "who else did maitham prep"? turns out he preped 3 other guys and they all looked like absolute shit.

Contest prep is basically this:
1- take your time getting lean and reach 3-5% fat
2- the last week of prep will make you or break you (if you are at a very low bodyfat level)
3- If you know how to nail everything when it comes to water and carb loading and whatever in the last week, certain compounds will make you look a lot bigger than you are... and it aint no slin or GH... it's the cheap stuff :)

all the info you need about contest prep is on these forums... paying someone $700 to prep will probably mean you are paying someone $700 to try ONE method that is already described in this forum and it won't neccessarilly work.

JMHO

I hear what you guys are saying, but I've tried many many things in the past and I feel like if I just had somebody in person with the credentials then maybe I could be better. The guy def knows his shit, I could tell talking to him for 30 minutes he knew alot. He wants me to come down into the light heavies, I'm 235 lbs right now and I'm def no more than 11% bf,Getting to 198 lbs is going to be pretty rough, but he says I'd be kicking some ass in that weight class. I'll keep you guys clued in, I just had to use my better judgement and hire somebody for this one.

I hear what you guys are saying, but I've tried many many things in the past and I feel like if I just had somebody in person with the credentials then maybe I could be better. The guy def knows his shit, I could tell talking to him for 30 minutes he knew alot. He wants me to come down into the light heavies, I'm 235 lbs right now and I'm def no more than 11% bf,Getting to 198 lbs is going to be pretty rough, but he says I'd be kicking some ass in that weight class. I'll keep you guys clued in, I just had to use my better judgement and hire somebody for this one.

How tall are you?

Seems like you had your mind made up before you posted your question. I'm the same way, just breakin your balls.

I'm sure Phil and others are great, but isn't there some value in using someone who can see you every couple of weeks in person, come to your show, etc.? I was thinking of going the same route as the original poster, this year (before i had an injury). (His fee was the same, maybe it's the same guy.)

btw please post pics, always fun to watch competitors progress

Those are some very nice stats, have you a large or small frame.

Bapper, I am 5'9", I would consider myself an average frame guy, however my joints and hands are slightly larger than most so I dont know if that means anything. I will post some pics soon and key you guys in on the progress. I'm probably just going to start a competition prep thread or something.

I'm interested in his height specifically. If he can cut down to 198, by the night show he would be 206-210. Pre-judging he would be at least 203-205. That is the ticket. Right now, you aren't big enough to hang in the heavies (depending on the contest). Bottom line is-if you are in shape, you will have nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm interested in his height specifically. If he can cut down to 198, by the night show he would be 206-210. Pre-judging he would be at least 203-205. That is the ticket. Right now, you aren't big enough to hang in the heavies (depending on the contest). Bottom line is-if you are in shape, you will have nothing to be ashamed of.

I'll have to agree with you on that one, all pride throw aside. I'd like to get my measurements up more, right now my arms are currently 19", chest is at 50", calves about 19 1/2", quads @ 28", waist is 34 1/2". If I can get my waist down around 32" while keeping my arms/chest close to where they're at now, I think I'll look really good in the light heavyweight class.

The one thing I need to be careful of is my carb levels and glycogen stores. I have a job that requires me to be alert and quick thinking, and could be very dangerous if my brain wasn't in the right place. Sometimes I get kind of mental the last few wks before the show, I'm hoping to somehow get around that a little, or at very most just take a few shifts off the last wk-2 b4 the show.

You're going to do great in the Light-Heavies with those stats. I am going to try to make the same class in my next show. My stats are roughly the same as yours, but I am 6 foot tall. I am afraid of being too small, but not big enough to hang in the heavies. It's a double edged sword for me. In the end, I think you could hang in the heavies if you had to.

You're going to do great in the Light-Heavies with those stats. I am going to try to make the same class in my next show. My stats are roughly the same as yours, but I am 6 foot tall. I am afraid of being too small, but not big enough to hang in the heavies. It's a double edged sword for me. In the end, I think you could hang in the heavies if you had to.

I ride that fence between the light heavies and heavies, at low 200's you'd be talking 3-4% bf for me, I dieted into the light heavies once before and it was like pulling teeth to get under 200 lbs!!! And I've since added much more size so who knows. But I'm going to try, I'll be yoked at 198. A few yrs ago I didn't hit 198 until Saturday, Fri night I was still sitting at 203, it fucked me all up cause I didnt have enough time to carb up. I would like to make weight this year on Fri night. If I could do it Fri night, then I could carb up like a mo fo and probably take stage at 205-210!!!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear