over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training a baseball player

Don't focus on chest to much, it will restrict his hitting. This was my problem when I played baseball because I laso played fotball and wrestled.

Like Ivan said hip/glute strength, speed and flexibility are key. Core training exercises and rotator cuff exercises are very important. Medicine Ball Exercises and Plyometrics are very good to use in training for baseball.

Last edited:
G'day Phil I'd have him do power cleans, very explosive, Try plyometric squats for agility. Also for the wrist try the old wrist roller. Good old broom stick chopped down. Drill it in the middle and put a rope thru it. Bout 3-4feet long. Have a loop at the bottom and hang a weight from it. Have him wind the weight up and then unwind (not freespool) the weight down. 3sets of 5 reps(up &down= 1rep) if he can manage. arms must be straight out in front. Try it and tell me if you do not want new forearms after. The amount of weight depends on strength. Lots of rotator work. as for upper body I believe someone here mention little or no chest work, I agree with little but go easy. Concentrate on looking after elbows and shoulder. Good luck.

Phill, My recomendation would be to train to increase his core strenght more than anything ( you know better than I how to train in this regard) as well as utilizing a plymetric training for speed, agility and quickness. The boxes helped me tremedously. Once I started this type of training may play increased by leaps and bound's. I trained with weights only 2 day's per week and use poly drill's and speed drill's for 3 day's week during my off season's. I was also a catcher and played a little at 2nd.... I was D-1 player for 4 years and 2 years at double A.

Hindu squats, agility drills and ab work. Have the kid play catch from home to second base so the throw is automatic when it matters. I'd do those pushups that you twist one of your arms up to 180 degrees of the other and rotator cuff exercises.

If the kid can nail guys out from at 2nd base from his knees consistantly and hit descent, he should be golden(assuming he can block bad pitches)...Having to stand up(even quickly) still takes too much time...

Tyrone said:
If the kid can nail guys out from at 2nd base from his knees consistantly and hit descent, he should be golden(assuming he can block bad pitches)...Having to stand up(even quickly) still takes too much time...

I have not to this day ever seen anybody do that consistently other than Benito Santiago and then he only did it a couple of times....

Catchers should learn good footwork and have a freaking hand cannon for an arm and they will thrown guys out consistently....

Tyrone said:

Man...That's gotta be one of the toughest throws. My Dad was telling me about Marvin Upshaw who used to be able to do this. It was the hardest throw to 2nd he'd ever seen. Must be some good genetics involved.

littlemack said:
Man...That's gotta be one of the toughest throws. My Dad was telling me about Marvin Upshaw who used to be able to do this. It was the hardest throw to 2nd he'd ever seen. Must be some good genetics involved.

Funny you say that a guy I played with in college was a great catcher and got as high as AAA and his dad was a standout outfielder with one of the best arms before he got hurt and had to quit playing....His son was blessed with the same thing....He had one of the strongest arms I have seen...He was truley blessed with it too...

dirkmoneyshot said:
Keep the kid away from any chest exercies other than pushups - One of the biggest reasons we are seeing so many arm probelms now.

Second - Get the back as thick as possible, Lots of Rows.

Third - Rotator cuff exercises and working on equal development of ALL 3 heads of the deltoid (paticulary the posterior)

Triceps

Forearms

Core work (i hate saying that)

Obviously a strong Trunk.

Don't bother much with any Aerobic exercises, anything that lasts more than 20 sec. is to long in terms of endurance. Stick with Anerobic work that works on Speed and Agility.

Hope that helps Phil -

Phil take this man's advice, its very sound. And this is coming from a catcher who has won state championships, has been drafted, and played college. ball. Catchers have to be quick on their feet and agile. Flexibility is paramount especially in the upper body.

This thread is a perfect example

of what a fine community we have here. Phil is usually the one handing out excellent advise. When he turns around and ask a question he gets many thoughtful and intelligent responses. Props to Big A and the members here for creating an environment where this kind of thing can happen.
I have a 9 year-old son who throw strikes at over 50mph consistently . He will play competively this season. He is long and lean and can drop a football in my hands when I'm at a dead run at 30+ yards. He does the Hershal Walker push-ups and sit-ups everyday because he wants to. We got his report card today; all A's and B's. And his teacher says he is the kindest most thoughtful kid in his class. I like to think we all contribute to making eachother beter people, parents, teachers, trainers and role models...
Great job to everyone who responded to this thread....
KH

knucklehed said:
I have a 9 year-old son who throw strikes at over 50mph consistently . He will play competively this season. He is long and lean and can drop a football in my hands when I'm at a dead run at 30+ yards. He does the Hershal Walker push-ups and sit-ups everyday because he wants to. We got his report card today; all A's and B's. And his teacher says he is the kindest most thoughtful kid in his class. I like to think we all contribute to making eachother beter people, parents, teachers, trainers and role models...
Great job to everyone who responded to this thread....
KH

Sounds like a great all around kid KH, I am sure you guys have a blast hanging out and playing sports....That is awsome...The report card and comments from the teacher means that he has some great parents as well...kudos to you...

Now about his athleticism...lol....Sounds like he is gonna be one helluva an athlete! Sounds to me like a more athletic Peyton Manning...( Sorry I had to plug that I am from INdy and a Colts fan)....

gten79 said:
Phil take this man's advice, its very sound. And this is coming from a catcher who has won state championships, has been drafted, and played college. ball. Catchers have to be quick on their feet and agile. Flexibility is paramount especially in the upper body.

Where did you play college ball at Gten79?

I agree with DMS on his outline.....Back should be developed and strong....Shold focus on the upper back and rear delts strengthening for throwing along with rotator cuff excersises as you need strong rear delt muscles to slow down the arm after throwing as many shoulder injuries occur by not have any rear delt development to slow down the arm while the front of the shoulder or rotator cuff is focused on more in training....

Phil!

You have to start trainning from the inside out meanning the core! Start with abs and stabilities such as right side pillar, left side pillar and middle pillar.

Then you have to train EXPLOSIVELY! This is where the olympic lifts come into play such as cleans and snatches I usually alternate between barbell and dumbell!

SQUATS! And ALL VARIATIONS of squats!

Next you have to concentrate on the postierior chain glute hams, reverse hypers, one leg hyper extensions.

Shoulders and forearms are next, Shoulders we do the front/side/rear combination and the shoulder tree if you need me to explain this to you I can call you.

FLexibility keep him loose and limber!

I think that covers everything just got back from recruiting so I'm brain dead later!

Hernon Trainiing Disciple

hank said:
Phil!

You have to start trainning from the inside out meanning the core! Start with abs and stabilities such as right side pillar, left side pillar and middle pillar.

Then you have to train EXPLOSIVELY! This is where the olympic lifts come into play such as cleans and snatches I usually alternate between barbell and dumbell!

SQUATS! And ALL VARIATIONS of squats!

Next you have to concentrate on the postierior chain glute hams, reverse hypers, one leg hyper extensions.

Shoulders and forearms are next, Shoulders we do the front/side/rear combination and the shoulder tree if you need me to explain this to you I can call you.

FLexibility keep him loose and limber!

I think that covers everything just got back from recruiting so I'm brain dead later!

Hernon Trainiing Disciple

This is another great post Hank.....

Hitting is rotational around one axis (That axis being your head....the more you keep it still the better you see the ball, the better you see the ball the better you hit it). developing your body from your knees to your nipples as I say is the most important to be able to generate as much power and rotational speed (not bat speed) to get the bat into right plane to hit the baseball....bat speed is not as important is being able to this with speed and power....

This post is dead on what I did to get ready to play minor league baseball....Cleans, snatches, tons of ab work, plyos, speed drills, strength work, rubberband shloulder work working the front/side/rear shoulder

I stretched and stretched and stretched too....That was the most loose and limber I have ever been and the fastest I ever ran too....lol....

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
saltseeker
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131