over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Calves

donjoy

Registered
I am sure that I am joined by many board members in lamenting about the serious pain in the ass it can be bringing calves up to par. I am currently working out on a M-W-F split, and up until a couple weeks ago I would hit calves on two, or more often three of those days.

Fast forward to now and I am still lifting on the M-W-F split, but the program I am following has me rotating two different workouts between the three days out of the week spent in the gym. As such, I hit calves either on M-F or just on W depending on what part of the rotation I am at when the week begins. I should also add that the new program I am using has me do three different calf exercises (never on the same day), until I have three calf days and then repeat with exercise 1,2,3 as calf days continue to roll around. I am doing 3-4 warm up sets (non-taxing) and then one set for maximum poundage until failure followed by extreme streching. (I think this might be dc training, but I am honestly not sure).

I suppose the theory in my new method is to prevent overtraining and allowing me to train calves heavy rather than simply getting a pump every day. I am curious if anyone can chime in on results who have tried training calves with frequency and also in the reduced frequency/high poundage (which I likely didnt explain well) manner.

P.S. I got a nice scholarship from Seton Hall School of Law today and I am really pumped about it so I wanted to share my excitement with the board. :D

I do my cardio warmup by walking on an incline on the treadmill, rolling through the foot. this gives them enough stimulus and pump where i can get away with training them less frequently.

stretching the hell out of them will help. also lots of rest. once a week they should be trained. you have to remember that you are always using your calves every time you walk. the 2 most important things to do is stretch and let them rest so they can grow. IMO

stretching the hell out of them will help. also lots of rest. once a week they should be trained. you have to remember that you are always using your calves every time you walk. the 2 most important things to do is stretch and let them rest so they can grow. IMO

I agree about the streching for sure. That has helped a great deal in a short amount of time and I kick myself for not paying attention to the importance of hardcore streching years ago.

what is this method?

each rep is very slow and controlled. Flex hard, fast but controlled, negative for 6-8 seconds and hold stretch for 10-15 seconds, then flex again, 1 rep. 1 set of 8-12 feels so painful, but worth it.

Dc.......

Dc calve training is alot harder than most anticipate. I also have seen great results once incorporated into my routine.

I got a ironman watch with a repeating timers set at 20 seconds for each rep. Very useful, cause after rep five I usually can't concetrate except for the pain, as in most DC workouts. Gotta love those ears ringing and stary eyes,,,,

I just love the others watching in horror as i collapse onto the floor because i can't walk. They think i fainted! LMAO!

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear