over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training Question...

MrPump

Registered
I am wondering if there are any particular training methods that help improve the BF loss over mass loss.

I am noticing that as i lose weight, I am losing some strenght. For about 5 months or so I was doing high reps (12-15) x4 for just about every set that i did. Its an excellent burn.

Currently, im doing 6x6x10x12(fail)x12(fail) - hopeing the heavy sets upfront will promote some muscle growth or at least help me keep my strenght.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Current Workout Sch
Mon - Chest
Tue - Bi/Tri
Wed - Legs/abs
Thrus - Shoulders
Friday - Rest
Sat - Back/abs
Sun - Rest

I hit cardio twice per day 5 days a week and once on the weekends!

My goal is to drop BF... im not so concerned with my weight... i dont care if I weight 500 pounds, as long as my BF is 15% or less....(9% BF to go to hit my goal by the way)

Most people lose some strength while dieting.

You are doing a lot of cardio, that pulls off muscle.

Lower reps with heavier weight would be better to build strength and maybe hold off strength loss. 5-7 rep range would be better in my opinion.

Pump,

Amazon Doll makes some very good points.

Here's some info from an earlier post on Dan DuChiene's Ultimate Diet - a 10 day cyclic ketogenic diet. I used this very successfully for every one of my shows, and just last year again to come down to about 6% bodyfat. While there may be better ways to lose fat while retaining muscle, I haven't found one!

I use the 10 day cyclic ketogenic diet that Dan Duchiene came up with in '82 called (and it is!) The Ultimate Diet.

Day 10: Calories half of maintenance levels, 30 gms of complex carbs
Day 1: Same calories and carbs, training 20 sets per bodypart, 15-20 reps per set, low rest between sets, chest/delts/triceps. Training first thing in the AM on an empty stomach.
Day 2: Test for Ketones in urine immediately upon rising using Ketostix-shuold be in Trace to Small ketosis. Same calories and carbs, training 20 sets per bodypart, 15-20 reps per set, low rest between sets, back/biceps/legs (calves, hams, and lastly quads). Training first thing in the AM on an empty stomach.
Day 3: Test for Ketones in urine immediately upon rising-shuold be in Small to Moderate ketosis. Same calories and carbs. Rest day.
Day 4: Test for Ketones in urine immediatley upon rising-shuold be in Moderate (possibly Large) ketosis. Training Heavy Duty (forced reps, etc) or DC style chest/dlets/triceps. Training first thing on an empty stomach. Food is oatmeal or brown rice 250-300 gms carb, same protein and fats, below manitenance calories.
Day 5: Test for ketones in urine immediatley upon rising-probably will be back into Small (possibly Moderate still) ketosis. Training Heavy Duty or DC style back/biceps/legs. Training first thing on an empty stomach.
Now carb load! Taking in 700-900 gms carb, mostly complex (pasta, rice, etc). Do NOT go below maintenance no matter how desperate yuo are to lose fat!
Day 6: Sugar loading day! Taking in 500-700 gms carb, all simple sugars, except dinner and after which are complex. Rest day.
Day 7: Powerlifting. Training for triples on multi-joint exercises, low sets, heavy weights, chest/delts/triceps. Maintenance levels of cals, proteins, carbs, and fat.
Day 8: Powerlifting. Training triples on things like squats, deads, rack pulls, shrugs for back/biceps/legs. Maintenance levels of cals, proteins, carbs, and fat.
Day 9: Slightly below maintenance levels of cals, proteins, carbs, and fats-the less yuo cut, the better yuo'll recover.
And then we're back to Day 10.

A few tips:
*POUND down the water on Day 5 & 6. Each gm of glycogen holds 3-4 gms of water in the muscle, so load the water, too.
*I like DC style training on Days 4 & 5 as I think forced reps and negatives are a great way to get hurt, and don't much care for a lot of the "Heavy Duty" stuff as advocated by Mentzer (whom I knew) and Jones
*If you're in a real hurry to lose weight, the days to really cut cals are Days 10, 1, 2, 3. Go below maintenance on Days 4, 7, and 9. Stay just at maintenance on Days 5 & 6.
*Yuo can play with the calorie levels depending upon how fast yuo're trying to lose fat.
*THE CALORIE LEVELS GIVEN ARE FOR A LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT - you can adjust up or down if yuo compete in heavier or lighter classes - heavyweight up to 225, Middleweight down to 176, etc.
*It takes a couple of runs through to individualize this, but start by knowing where maintenance is for you. Weigh and write down everything yuo eat and drink for at least 10 days. Weigh yourself at the beginning and end of the 10 days. If your weight hasn't varied by more than a pound or so, yuo're at maintenance.
*Plan yuor show for Day 7 or Day 8. Yuo will naturally begin to drop excess water on day 7 after all the carbs, UNLESS yuo are on drugs that hold lots of water like test, and yuo aren't on any anti-estrogens. The drugs portion is a whole separate topic.

I've used this diet to get ready for 5 shows, winning at least one overall NPC title. I've also used it many times to just get into better shape after my schedule has left me a bit "smooth." Having tried just about everything else, I wouldn't use anything but this.

And no, I don't do aerobics - hate 'em, and yuo won't need them with this diet unless yuo don't leave yuorself enough time to lose the weight.

Ive always been a fan of DD and his writings, and thats a cracking cycle
for a pro or semi pro, but mrpump is just a normal guy, well im assuming he is, do you think its necassary for a diet such as this, or would it be better to keep it simple. IE, straight forward fat loss programme with a rethink on the training routine. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Mars,

Pump could use any number of approaches, I just have found this to be one of the best regardless of being an average guy or competitor.

The problem with a lot of diet approaches is they rely on some scheme where more cals are used than taken in. Whether this is all done with diet, or diet and aerobics, if it's done long enough, metabolism WILL slow down.

THe beauty of cyclic diets like this - ketogenic or not - is that they minimize and/or prevent this metabolic slowdown.

You might lose a little bit of strength when dieting and doing cardio but not a lot. I only find i start to lose strength when i get my bodyfat down to around 6%.......so you need to look at your diet IMO.

Mars,

Pump could use any number of approaches, I just have found this to be one of the best regardless of being an average guy or competitor.

The problem with a lot of diet approaches is they rely on some scheme where more cals are used than taken in. Whether this is all done with diet, or diet and aerobics, if it's done long enough, metabolism WILL slow down.

THe beauty of cyclic diets like this - ketogenic or not - is that they minimize and/or prevent this metabolic slowdown.

Thanks for the reply Dad, this sport we love will always be a lifetime of learning, im learning a lot on here thanks to guys like you.
Keep up the good work. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity