over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Troponin Athlete Interview 6: Jess Lyons

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Next up in our series of Troponin Athlete interviews is Jessica Lyons, a veteran national level figure competitor who just recently placed 5th at the USAs in the Figure A class. Jess also placed 4th at this year’s Jr USAs, and did both shows under the guidance of Troponin Nutritionist Nate Wolfe. I hope you find our first interview with a female competitor to be as refreshing as I did. Let’s get to know a little bit about Jess:

Full Name-Jessica Hazel Lyons
Age-28
Hometown-Old Town, Maine but currently living in Charleston, SC
Home Gym- Eco Fitness and Pivotal Fitness
Height-5' 1.5"
Contest History-
2004 Shannon Meteraud Classic - 1st Class A Figure
2005 NY Metropolitan - 1st Class A Figure and Overall Winner
2005 Jr USA - 5th Class A Figure
2005 Figure Nationals - 16th Class A Figure
2006 Figure Atlantic USA - 2nd Class A
2006 Jr USA - 3rd Class A Figure
2006 Jr National - 10th Class A Figure
2007 Jr USA - 4th Class A Figure
2007 USA - 5th Class A Figure

Upcoming events-
Time off!! I have been dieting since January, so it's time for a break. I haven't decided yet when my first show will be next year.

Shelby: What is your athletic background?

Jess: In high school, I was on the swim team and played soccer and softball. I was voted 'Athlete of the Year' in 1997 by my graduating class. I was offered a swimming scholarship by the University of Maine and went on to swim for the Black Bears for my 4 years of college. My best stroke was butterfly. I also played Women's Rugby for a couple of seasons, but had to quit due to my swimming scholarship.

Shelby: When did lifting come in the picture?

Jess: I lifted off and on while I was in college. It wasn't a requirement for swimming and by the time I was done with a 3 hour practice, I certainly wasn't thinking about going to the gym! I started getting serious about it when swimming was over and I started gaining weight. I had one semester left and was completing an internship at our local YMCA when Joe got me interested in lifting. That was 6 years ago!!

Shelby: What does a typical week in the life of Jess Lyons look like? Training, work, etc.

Jess: Ugh. I work at a gym, so I pretty much live there. I work a 40 hour week, but my shifts vary. I open the gym 2-3 times a week, so on those days, I work until 1:30 pm then start my cardio. Then, I'll go home, eat, nap, and head back to a different gym with Joe to train and do another round of cardio. On days when I don't open, cardio begins between 5:30 and 6 am, then home to eat and get ready for work. I train and do a second round of cardio either at the gym I work at or at the other gym we belong to, depending on what time I get done work. The evenings always consist of food preparation and packing for the next day. Sunday is usually our lazy day. Neither of us lift on Sunday so the only thing I have to do is cardio and some housework. We always have laundry to do!! The off season will be pretty much the same, just with less cardio.

Shelby: Can you give me your current weekly training split (bodyparts, exercises, how you train, etc.)?

Jess: Monday = legs/abs (my favorite day to train! sometimes I start with hamstring curls, but I love to hack squat and front squat on the smith machine)
Tuesday = arms (3-4 exercises, sometimes supersetted, lots of dumbbell curls for biceps and skull crushers or pressdowns for triceps)
Wednesday = off
Thursday = chest/calves (my least favorite day to train. . .mostly incline dumbbell press or flys)
Friday = back/abs (wide grip-pullups are my all time favorite! I can do more than most guys) ;)
Saturday = shoulders/calves (lots of lateral raises, upright rows and rear delts)
Sunday = off
I tend to train hard and heavy. I don't waste my time at the gym and hate to see women curling 5 lb. dumbbells because they "don't want to get big"! I like to superset abs and calves with other bodyparts to keep moving. There are days when I don't feel 100% and might lighten up, but I usually shoot for 8-10 reps as heavy as I can go. If I get more than 10, I go heavier.

Shelby: What supplements do you typically like using, both precontest and offseason?

Jess: I always take my vitamins! My favorite multivitamin is GNC's MegaWomen Active. I also take vitamin C twice a day - I like the chewable ones! Before my workouts, I take L-carnitine and post workout I take ON's BCAAs. Fish oil capsules are also part of my daily regimen and I take them at each non-carb meal. In season, I add green tea caps and Yellow Bullets for fat burning. The Yellow Bullets are an ephedra product. I have also found that BodySculpture for Women is a great product for appetite suppression. I use that twice a day while in season, too. As far as protein goes, I'm a big fan of Champion Nutrition's chocolate Pure Whey and Banana Ultramet meal replacement. ON makes a great whey product, too. I like their chocolate flavor.

Shelby: What has your diet looked like today?

Jess: Well, I just got done competing this past weekend. . . . Nate told me to eat whatever I want for a couple days. . . . I've been taking his advice!! I'll be back to an off season carb cycle in a few days.

Shelby: Ok, I won’t pry, lol.

Shelby: Your husband Joe is a competitive bodybuilder. What's it like living with another competitor?

Jess: We have our ups and downs. When we are both getting close to a show and are low carb and tired, we can get a little 'snippity' with eachother. We get through it though, and can tell when the other just needs a little space. The good definitely outweighs the bad since we understand what eachother is going through. We have similar diets, so we cook in bulk for the week. We both do the cooking, though there are some things I like to do myself. We don't keep anything in the house that we can't have so that makes it a lot easier. This past spring when he was done competing, he'd go out for his cheat meals when I was busy so I wouldn't have to be around it. It sounds minor, but those are the kind of things that make a difference. We have similar training schedules, too, and get to go to the gym together pretty often. Morning cardio is a lot easier when you have someone literally dragging you out of bed!! Joe and I motivate and support eachother 100%. I can't imagine what it would be like living with someone who didn't compete.

Shelby: Tell us a bit about your experience with Nate Wolfe and Troponin Nutrition:

Jess: Nate was absolutely wonderful!! I can't thank him enough for all of his help. I had started a prep with someone else for Jr USAs back in January, but it just wasn't working out. I contacted Nate 6 weeks out from the show and he was more than willing to prep me. He changed my diet by having me cycle my carbs and got me in the best shape I had ever been in. He was always quick to respond to my questions and emails and I look forward to working with him again.

Shelby: Will you work with Nate again next year?

Jess: Absolutely!! My experience with Nate was awesome and I think we make a great team. I'm very excited to see what next year has in store.

Shelby: Tell us about your experience at the 2007 NPC USAs:

Jess: USAs was a great show!! It was a huge success for both Nate and I. I placed 5th out of 41 in my height class and it was the first time Nate had prepped anyone for a 2 day show. The competitors were fierce onstage, but we all had a great time backstage. . . . even though we were all crammed in a room much too small for over 200 competitors!! I made some new friends and had an overall wonderful experience. The actual show ran very smoothly and I would definitely do it again.

Shelby: Do you have any training partners, mentors and/or people you look up to in fitness/figure?

Jess: I don't have any permanent training partners, though I sometimes shadow Joe and his lifting buddies. I also train occasionally with my close friend Melissa Griffin who just recently earned her pro card. For the first couple years I competed, Shannon Meteraud helped me a lot with posing and suit selection, so a "thank you" goes out to her as well.

Shelby: What is your favorite and least favorite thing about competing in figure?

Jess: My favorite thing about competing in figure is the personal satisfaction I feel when I know I look the best I ever have. I love how my body changes and reacts to different training programs and diets. I love feeling strong yet still feminine. When I'm out on stage it's kind of like my alter ego! My least favorite thing is that the sport is so subjective. No matter how good you feel about yourself, it just might not be what the judges are looking for. It gets frustrating, but you just have to keep in mind what you have accomplished for yourself.

Shelby: Where do you see yourself in fitness and health down the road? Dreams & aspirations?

Jess: My ultimate goal is to become a pro. I still have some work to do, but I think it's a realistic goal. I'd also love to get into fitness modeling.

Shelby: Do you have any advice for beginning figure competitors?

Jess: Have fun, smile and be confident. If it's not fun, why do it?

Shelby: Is there anything else you would like to say or would like our readers to know about you?

Jess: I'd just like to thank my husband, Joe. I would never be able to compete without his support and encouragement. He's been with me through it all, helping me cook my meals, supporting me at every show, and never letting me give up! He's my rock.

Thanks for the interview, Jess!

Attachments

• jess1.jpg
    jess1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 336
  • jess2.jpg
    jess2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 500
  • jess3.jpg
    jess3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 389
  • jess4.jpg