over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

TYLENOL BUILDS MUSCLE says study...

BrooklynBB

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
This was posted over at the Muscular Development website.

My question is, since this has now been proven to be a "performance enhancer" and an anabolic substance, when is the FDA going to go into all of the pharmacies and groceries and remove these from the shelves to "protect our children?"

Over-The-Counter Pain Killers Increase Muscle Mass

Written by Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
Monday, 07 April 2008

ScienceDaily (Apr. 7, 2008) - Taking daily recommended dosages of ibuprofen and acetaminophen caused a substantially greater increase over placebo in the amount of quadriceps muscle mass and muscle strength gained during three months of regular weight lifting, in a study by physiologists at the Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University.

Thirty-six men and women, between 60 and 78 years of age (average age 65), were randomly assigned to daily dosages of either ibuprofen (such as that in Advil), acetaminophen (such as that in Tylenol), or a placebo. The dosages were identical to those recommended by the manufacturers and were selected to most closely mimic what chronic users of these medicines were likely to be taking. Neither the volunteers nor the scientists knew who was receiving which treatment until the end of the study.

All subjects participated in three months of weight training, 15-20 minute sessions conducted in the Human Performance Laboratory three times per week. The researchers knew from their own and other studies that training at this intensity and for this time period would significantly increase muscle mass and strength. They expected the placebo group to show such increases, as its members did, but they were surprised to find that the groups using either ibuprofen or acetaminophen did even better.

An earlier study from the laboratory, measuring muscle metabolism (or more precisely, muscle protein synthesis, the mechanism through which new protein is added to muscle), had looked at changes over a 24 hour period. This "acute" study found that both ibuprofen and acetaminophen had a negative impact, by blocking a specific enzyme cyclooxygenase, commonly referred to as COX.

But that study looked at only one day. Over three months, says Dr. Trappe, the chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training appears to have induced intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise, allowing the body to add substantially more new protein to muscle.

The amount of change was measured in quadricep muscles using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), the gold standard for determining muscle mass. The researchers now are conducting assays of muscle biopsies taken before and after the three-month period of resistance training, in order to understand the metabolic mechanism of the positive effects of ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

One of the foci of Ball State's Human Performance Laboratory is the adaptation of the elderly to exercise. Another is the loss of muscle mass that takes place when astronauts are exposed to long-term weightlessness. This work has implications for both groups, says Dr. Trappe.

*This presentation was part of the scientific program of the American Physiological Society (APS). In addition to Dr. Carroll and Dr. Trappe, co-authors of the Experimental Biology presentation are Jared Dickinson, Jennifer Lemoine, Jacob Haus, and Eileen Weinheimer, graduate students working with Dr. Trappe, and study physician Dr. Christopher Hollon.

Funding for the research came from the National Institutes of Health and a postdoctoral initiative award from APS.

Adapted from materials provided by Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

I think you need to look at the study population and realize some researchers are idiots. Other studies have shown Nsaids and other pain killers to decrease muscle mass and the anabolic response. What is most likely happening with the group of 60 - 78 year olds is that the ones taking pain killers don't hurt as much and are able to put effort into their exercise program than those not taking them.

I don't get that study one bit! #1 one, the folks were older. That's not to say they have any muscle tone on them between the ages of 60 to 78 BUT if science and medicine has tAught us anything is that as we get older we tend to loose muscle mass. THE LONGER YOU TRAIN IN LIFE, THE MORE YOU TEND TO PUT OFF LOOSING MUSCLE TONE. That's not rocket science there! ALSO, the study did not say if these folks ever participated in any weight training exercise before this!

Given the fact that they took ibuprofen and acetaminophen while training only gives them the advantage of NOT having muscle soreness in the morning. Also, these folks look like they were under a controlled weight training program. Meaning they were structured on what to do and when to do it. They were also given 3 months to accomplish the experimentors research. SO of course in a course of three months you are going to do some good for your body and some muscle mass and toning will occur. But the fact that ibuprofen and acetaminophen played a direct role in this is total BS!

It sounds like a controlled study in order to sell more ibuprofen and acetaminophen! Give those elderly folks NO ibuprofen and acetaminophen and switch them out with a good protein intake, glutamine, and some BCAA's and you will have had the exact same results, if not BETTER!

TOTAL BULLCRAP IN MY OPINION!

I was unable to link several articles and studies on analgesic nephropathy form my server but simply search on "analgesic nephropathy" and you'll most likely never pop an OTC pain killer again. I used ibuprofen a couple times a week about a decade ago most of the time to combat mild shoulder elbow and wrist and back pain.
I didn't notice any reduction in muscle gains infact I made some pretty good gains back then but realize the ibuprofen allowed me to train harder and heavier with reduced pain.

There is an entire class of kidney disease called "analgesic nephropathy" resulting from the use (or overuse) of analgesics like aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. Most cases of analgesic nephropathy, at least in the United States, come from combination products containing phenacetin. The Handbook of Non-Prescription Drugs notes: "The potential for abuse of this compound and the incidence of toxicity . . . have prompted the FDA advisory review panel to recommend removing phenacetin from nonprescription drug products." Questions about the other three drugs remain, however.

Aspirin destroys the ability of blood platelets to synthesize thromboxane A2, which causes platelets to clump together. Interfering with its production inhibits platelet aggregation, thus making aspirin useful in preventing strokes and heart attacks. But aspirin is implicated in the development of Reye's Syndrome, a potentially fatal neurologic disorder that can attack young adults and children. It can also damage the lining of the stomach. Those who take large daily doses of aspirin, such as people with arthritis, often use highly buffered aspirin, which reduces erosion of the gastrointestinal tract but contains large amounts of sodium, which should be avoided by those on low-sodium diets. According to the Handbook of Non-Prescription Drugs, aspirin alone is not believed to cause analgesic nephropathy, but "it may worsen or perpetuate the progression of papillary necrosis and renal dysfunction."

Like aspirin, acetaminophen is both an analgesic and antipyretic (used in bringing down fevers). As it has gained favor in the U. S., however, there has also be growing concern that its ready availability, combined with the public's lack of appreciation of the dangers of acetaminophen toxicity, may "produce a new health hazard." Acetaminophen can damage the kidneys (and has been linked to analgesic nephropathy), but it is toxic primarily to the liver. Chronic poisoning is aggravated by alcohol consumption; acute poisoning can produce fatal necrosis of the liver. Because of its easy availability, it is often the drug of choice for young people attempting suicide. (They will survive the night, but unless antidoted will die within days from liver failure.) Since problems with the liver's clearance of immune complexes from the body may be implicated in the development of IgAN, drugs that are hepatotoxic (toxic to the liver) may be every bit as dangerous to an IgAN patient as drugs that are nephrotoxic (toxic to the kidneys).

Ibuprofen is stronger than aspirin and its effects last longer. Like aspirin, it reduces platelet aggregation and increases the time it takes blood to clot (an effect greatly enhanced by drinking alcohol). Ibuprofen also cuts down on renal prostaglandin synthesis; it can cause sodium and water retention and decrease kidney function. Glomerular filtration rate declined in patients with mild kidney impairment who took 1,200 mg/day of ibuprofen for one week.

This may seem like a lot of ibuprofen, but it is less than the recommended daily dosage for menstrual cramps. Those with kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, lupus, asthma, heart disease, or a history of aspirin sensitivity should avoid ibuprofen. One review of the medical literature noted: "It is unquestionable that ibuprofen can cause renal damage, including functional acute renal failure, water and electrolyte disorders, and interstitial nephritis." The same study further noted that those most at risk for kidney damage were people who had a low volume of blood in their veins, such as those who'd lost blood in an accident, or who had weak hearts.

Analgesics interfere with prostaglandin production. In healthy people, prostaglandins have little effect on kidney function; but in people whose kidneys are impaired, particularly when the flow of blood to the organ is reduced (by cirrhosis of the liver, heart failure, or low blood volume), they are important to maintaining renal function. The effects of different prostaglandins are conflicting: some are vasodilators and inhibit platelet aggregation, while others are vasoconstrictors and promote platelet aggregation. From the kidneys' point of view, however, analgesics likes aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen seem to interfere with the production of "good" prostaglandins as well as of the "bad" ones that contribute to kidney damage.

If you look this study up (and all the of the studies buy the same researcher trappe) the actual article explains everything in great detail. They did do a study with protein synthesis in a 24hr window that showed the decrease or blunting that these products had on protein synthesis. They also did a study that involved the use of celebrex (a cox-2 inhibitor) which actually showed an increase in protein synthesis. The article is not saying to take these products, its just showing the positive and negative effects of them on protein synthesis, which is the most important factor for immediate muscle recovery and growth, and on muscle development.

Yes if you think about it these older individuals taking tylenol probably had an increase compared to placebo because they were able to workout with more weight and gradually increase this weight overtime more effectly and in turn build more muscle because of a lack of pain and inflamation response.

The pain and inflamation response is actually the body repairing muscle and is what I personally think feels like we are working and makes us want to go back. They are testing these populations because they are growing in numbers and preservation of actual muscle mass in long term is more important than short term protein synthesis because we want them to be able to perform daily activities of living.

The point of what I'm saying is that you have to look at everything from a different angle. These studies are very important, interesting, and help us to improve practices for especially the aging baby boomers. For younger people looking for different goals, the stdies just may not pertain to you, but dont bash the studies they are very well done.

NSAIDS work by many different mechanisms one of which is to thin the blood. This may be of some benefit since AAS tend to cause an increase in RBC. But I have worked in the medical field since 1985 and most Pharmacists I've talked to don't like Tylenol. Its to harsh on the Kidneys and Liver.
Ibuprofen/Motrin is by far a better anti inflammatory drug. IV Motrin used post OP is better than Morphine because Morphine just knocks you out and only a progressive dosage works, where as Ibuprofen does not knock you out and relieves pain. Anyway the next time you have a fever try Motrin/Ibuprofen first.
I don't see how motrin could help build muscle directly but it may help in recovery time.
Remember Tom Prince? Any drug taken in excess for extended periods of time can have damaging effects...in his case; Kidney damage.

Last edited:
Tylenol is NOT an NSAID. It's an analgesic/antipyretic. Anyone reading this should avoid Tylenol if you can as it's liver toxic. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are NSAIDs but they reduce the lining of your stomach and can cause the enzymes to harm the inside of your gut.

People today take so many antacids but really the problem is sometimes that there is NOT ENOUGH acid and results in indigestion, bloating, and acid reflux.

i think ive heard it all now. alinshop now carried tylenol;) :D
LMAO.............finally, something I can get through customs..............YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!:D

maybe advil would increase my protein sythesis if my stomach actually functioned when taking it.

once after running hard intervals i vomited something that looked like a small internal organ. maybe it was my conscience.

Ummmmmm first off Tylenol is only liver toxic at certain doses and over long periods of time. It's still one of the best medicines for fever. I work with doctors in a hospital setting as I'm an RN and they ONLY prescribe Tylenol PRN for fevers, NEVER have I seen them prescribe Advil/Motrin for fever. Acetaminophen works differently than ibuprofen.

Ummmmmm first off Tylenol is only liver toxic at certain doses and over long periods of time. It's still one of the best medicines for fever. I work with doctors in a hospital setting as I'm an RN and they ONLY prescribe Tylenol PRN for fevers, NEVER have I seen them prescribe Advil/Motrin for fever. Acetaminophen works differently than ibuprofen.
Ibuprofen is also an effective antipyretic. Maybe you've never seen it, but it is used.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1621668

OBJECTIVE--To compare the antipyretic efficacy of ibuprofen, placebo, and acetaminophen. DESIGN--Double-dummy, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. SETTING--Emergency department and inpatient units of a large, metropolitan, university-based, children's hospital in Michigan. PARTICIPANTS--37 otherwise healthy children aged 2 to 12 years with acute, intercurrent, febrile illness. INTERVENTIONS--Each child was randomly assigned to receive a single dose of acetaminophen (10 mg/kg), ibuprofen (7.5 or 10 mg/kg), or placebo. MEASUREMENTS/MAIN RESULTS--Oral temperature was measured before dosing, 30 minutes after dosing, and hourly thereafter for 8 hours after the dose. Patients were monitored for adverse effects during the study and 24 hours after administration of the assigned drug. All three active treatments produced significant antipyresis compared with placebo. Ibuprofen provided greater temperature decrement and longer duration of antipyresis than acetaminophen when the two drugs were administered in approximately equal doses. No adverse effects were observed in any treatment group. CONCLUSION--Ibuprofen is a potent antipyretic agent and is a safe alternative for the selected febrile child who may benefit from antipyretic medication but who either cannot take or does not achieve satisfactory antipyresis with acetaminophen.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear