over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What is it about junk food?

Designbuilt

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I may be off on this, but has anyone else ever noticed that when you're dieting for too long, you feel weak, or just tired, as if something is off?

Even if you're taking in vitamins, and EFA's, it feels as if you need more?

Then you have a burger, fries, maybe a pizza and you feel great! Why is that? Not only that, but every single time that I do eat some garbage, I look better too!

I have been thinking about this for quite some time now. My older brothers were powerlifters and they ate only crap! Rarely did they eat anything clean, refried beans, fried chicken, pizza, etc.

Then I read the "shit-load" principle on Synthetek's page and it made a lot of sense to me as well.

I'm not advocating eating only crap, but what is it about the crap that makes us feel so good?

lots of calories/carbs/fat/sodium = a great sense of well being :)

Plus all the other stuff you mentioned...... glycogen storage ect....

i agree with you on that one. when dieting the 'once in a while' junk food does seem to make me feel better. eating junk food all the tame makes ya feel like shit though.

i have heard that junk foods cause they body to release 'feel good' endorphins, maybe thats why you feel good.

the movie super size me had some info about that

yea if youve been dieting a long time and you are a lower BF, it would work like what guys call the shit load before the comp. Itll suck all the nutrients and crap into your starved muscles basically. The high sodium will make you look fuller, then you get more vascular. Alotta guys i talk to do a shit load for last meal of the night day before contest and some do it again in the morning. Then between shows they do somethin like a big ass steak and mashed taters with salt, and come back looking drier then b4!

Everybodys different though. Personally im terrified still of the shit load. You gotta be spot on with everything else for it to work it seems. But i know i look like a whole diff person the day after my carb reload when im dieting :D

I think its a good idea to do somthing like this once each week when on a diet. It will give your matabolisem a boost, you a mental break and as said it will fill you out like nothing else. I would have a cheat meal over a high carb day anytime when on diet. The rush of hi kcal fat and carbs with sodium fills the muscles up allot better than a high carb day when the diet is very little in sodium during the week.

I think its a good idea to do somthing like this once each week when on a diet. It will give your matabolisem a boost, you a mental break and as said it will fill you out like nothing else. I would have a cheat meal over a high carb day anytime when on diet. The rush of hi kcal fat and carbs with sodium fills the muscles up allot better than a high carb day when the diet is very little in sodium during the week.

yea ive noticed that too. Earlier in my diet when i would have a cheat meal on my carb up day i did look ALOT better the next day then i do now with just one carb up a week. Although i think ive been screwing my refeed day up but thats neither here nor there in this thread :D

I personally, for the mental aspect, would rather have a full carb up day then one cheat though personally. I LOVE to eat and for me one small cheat meal would just lead to more cheating for me :/ Although i gotta say a bigass serving of oats with a lil natty PB and honey in it is pretty much as good as any super bad cheat meal for me.....ya know, except a whole large pizza i devour myself in record time :D

Agree 100% Right now I'm following Phil's advice to the letter, so I haven't had any cheat day at all! And there are a lot of great places to eat here!!
I do admit that I don't feel bad on Phil's diet, it's not as extreme as the one I used to do, but at the same time it's more structured, with less deviating.

But I have tried adding sodium to the diet by adding a lot of mustard and soy sauces, but it doesn't really do a thing, it's something about junk food. My older brother eats NOTHING but crap!! And he looks great! Even my dad talks about how bad his diet is.

He knows absolutely NOTHING at all about nutrition; when I was going to do my show last year, he told me that I should eat nothing but lettuce to get ripped.

Exactly.

Also, listen to your body. If you are really bodybuilding, you shouldnt be eating junk all the time to begin with. In my week there are 42 meals and two of those are anything I want. I just listen to my body and give it what it needs. Its an off season type of diet but the purpose is to be build muscle, not look like a fat ass. I can tell you this much though...tomorrow starts my new week and I have two cheat meals that I am very much looking forward to. A double Whopper with cheese never sounded so fuckin good.

I put the carbs/fat/salt in when my body tells me to. Usually every 3-4 days I need to reload. Nothing wrong with a burger or a pizza once every 3-4 days or so. Then I follow it up the next day with a cardio session of 100-120 minutes and go 3 or 4 more days on moderate carbs. By doing this it allows me to hit it harder the 3 -4 days in between

My older brother eats NOTHING but crap!! And he looks great!
He knows absolutely NOTHING at all about nutrition; when I was going to do my show last year, he told me that I should eat nothing but lettuce to get ripped.

Dude, your bro knows the secrets to weight loss and muscle building. I'm not even kidding.

:;leeping-

when most people diet down, they deprive themselves of macronutrients, and not micronutrients... people who eat junk all the time do the same. you don't HAVE to eat junk per se, but eating excess calories from all the macronutrients and increasing your sodium always results in bigger, fuller, and stronger muscles. too many people deprive themselves of simple sugars and fats and get surprised when they are weaker and look flat. simple sugars and fats are probably as important as protein, but you just have to know when you're going overboard. judging from your pics and experience, you know very well what i'm talking about :)

I read an aricle one time, that says our bodies are very routine with everything.. it gets used to certain things and feels it needs them to get by on.. junk food or whatever.. when it doesn't have things your mind feels it is mssing something so you feel worse.. the article has yo put yourself through a test.. take onee of your most favorite things, food or drink wise.. cut it out completely for 30 days, after the 30 days is up, havee whatever you cut out.. it says when you eat or drink it, it will be the best you ever had.. your body forgets what it taste like and you discover the taste all over again.. if you never have ever had it, you would never miss it..
I trie it will sodas once, and it actually was pretty good..

yea ive noticed that too. Earlier in my diet when i would have a cheat meal on my carb up day i did look ALOT better the next day then i do now with just one carb up a week. Although i think ive been screwing my refeed day up but thats neither here nor there in this thread :D

I personally, for the mental aspect, would rather have a full carb up day then one cheat though personally. I LOVE to eat and for me one small cheat meal would just lead to more cheating for me :/ Although i gotta say a bigass serving of oats with a lil natty PB and honey in it is pretty much as good as any super bad cheat meal for me.....ya know, except a whole large pizza i devour myself in record time :D

Who said any thing about a small cheat meal.:D

The kee here is to stop youself from binge eating, have your junk food. However trie to stick to the same cheat meals because the more different foods you eat the more different foods you crave.

Who said any thing about a small cheat meal.:D

The kee here is to stop youself from binge eating, have your junk food. However trie to stick to the same cheat meals because the more different foods you eat the more different foods you crave.

Yea, IT seems when my cheat meal is JUNK food I crave more after wards and the following week compared to if I have spaghetti with bread rolls. I know it has to be mental, but the craving right after wards may be the blood sugar crash.

Yep for me its the guilt haha..i always feel like i just cheated! lol
the problem I get is after I get half way through my diet and I see the finish line.. if I even touch sweets, I make sure to do extra cardio to get it out of my system.. but over the years I have learned to pace myself and realize I may think I am perfect but I will slip up every now and then, so all in all I can fix whatever mistake I make in my diet and learn from it..

eat good all week. weekends are for living and enjoying life within reason. our time here can be short so not to be able to enjoy some sinful pleasures once in a while is crazy.

I gotta go with big bapper here on this one. I ate what must have been 2lbs of chicken parmigiana yesterday and what had to be a pound of pasta myself. I woke up this morning expecting to have gained a few % bodyfat and my abs actually look better. Gotta love it!!!!

now i just gotta wait till wednesday for my next cheat meal:mad:

you guys arent helping me! lol. man ive been dieting for 9 weeks and got 8 to go for my first show. its like torture sometimes. been having a cheat meal a week and after i eat it i feel awesome. harder, more vascular, stronger ect. but it def opens the flood gates for cravings. its like a drug addict trying to use once after being clean awhile.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear