advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

what the hell is this lower back cramp...

bigbadasian

Slant-eyed mutha fucka
Registered
|--[\\\]>---------- Gets me every frickin' time i'm doing legs (quads) and even happens while i do laying leg curls (hams). About 2-3 sets in, my lower back just tightens up like crazy...it's almost unbearable...it happens mostly on squats and stiff legs and also laying leg curls...i have to lay down on the floor in b/t sets just to keep it from tightening even more....this ever happen to any of you?

ps. if you're wondering about my form on squats, i've had a guy in my gym who is a master of squating so to speak and he critiqued me and said my form was pretty much perfect....so i'm confused...

S O D I U M. If you are retaining any extra amounts of fluid, it makes it hell on the lower back. In the off season I try to limit my sodium even then just to make sure its not unbareable. I know exactly what you are talking about and I just make sure I stretch and keep the shitty foods to a minimum....so no more Long John Silvers for you! haha :D

|--[\\\\]>--------- No more LJS! forget it, i'll just fight through the pain! LOL!

ps--thank you for that today, it is a big help...appreciate it buddy!

when I used to squat alot that was actually the limmiting factor of my wieghts, I had alot left in my quads but my lower back would be so cramped I would have to lay on the floor with my legs up for about 15 min before I could even get in my car, never really found what is was except thought my lower back was always the weak link, never strong enuff.

`

I get it From Heavy squats and deadlifts.
Seems to be Just fine by the next day but yes during and a few hours after
its uncomfortable.

sucks

I get it really bad doing the same things, especially squats. It's at a point, like said above, that my legs have alot of gas left in them but I can barely breathe b/c my back is so tight. It hurts driving home and usually lets up that night. The only thing that helps is I stopped doing back and legs on back-to-back days to give it more of a rest and it seems to help a little.

I'm gonna try to cut my sodium out and see if that helps.

does...

an increase in NACL actually induce a cramp? Is this really a muscle cramp or is it because u actually use the muscle group to stabilize your torso. And why would u not cramp in other places other then that when not doing legs? Cramping is a lot like tetany or when the muscle is constantly firing and becomes locked in constant contraction. This is usually attributed to a imbalance of electrolytes. U may have a high sodium intake but why doesnt this happen with other muscles during other weight training parts? U may be doing the squat perfectly but the lower back is used much in the stabilization of the torso during that movement. Same with stiff legs, if u round your back the tension goes to your lower back. I would look at the actual movements and the bio mechanics before I would blame sodium. There is a diff between a actuall muscle cramp and muscular pain from constant tension.
gooey

yes

"There is a diff between a actuall muscle cramp and muscular pain from constant tension. "

Gooey, I beleive that is my problem...Not so much a cramp But the muscles in the lower back. The feeling though Is a Firey feeling that doesnt go away
and does feel like a cramp. No matter how sit,twist,turn, stretch it just doesnt help.

Iv had this problem a million times. Theres a few things...

1. Your form is loosening up when you get tired squatting and you dont realize. I know it SEEMS like ur form is flawless, but as you tire and fatigue u lean foward ever so slightly and thats the result. Also as your quads tire from squatting your lower back starts to take on more of the load without you realizing. Ever get a sore lower back or abs after a heavy squat day?

2. Your overtraining your lower back like crazy. Iv realized sometimes when this problem starts to hit, i leave out ALL exercises that involve lower back in any way including leg or back day for a week or two, then when i come back, problem solved.

I also like to stretch my lower back out like a bitch for about 20min for 5 straight days, this sometimes seems to help. Hope some of this info helps...

Heavy weight belt?

Try training you legs without it for a couple of workouts. Lower back muscles have a tendency to flare out upon flexion and if a belt is worn too tight or too often it can cause this type of cramping feeling, what it does is cause the muscle's to try and baloon in the mid lower back? It used to get me all the time...

Do you use a belt all the time, if so try a couple of workout's with out it.

In my case its not for or electrolites -ust the way I'm built, lower back will always be weak link in squats. I had a session with polquin in 94 to help me with my squat and my lower back aint weak thats for damn sure. Being 6'3 and specific mechanics was a good enuff to answer why for me.

What a bunch of pussies!

I got a cure for this problem......VAGASIL! Just rub it on and the pain goes away. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

PB

p.s. I just couldn't resist.

ahh so thats the secret.....

Paul Bunyan said:
I got a cure for this problem......VAGASIL! Just rub it on and the pain goes away. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

PB

p.s. I just couldn't resist.

Ive been using those feminine wipes and sprays and have had no changes, Ill try this vagisil route....... :p
gooey

fellas, I don't know, but my lower mid-lower back is constantly tight. Often times just sitting during the day for a long period of time gets to me. It's REALLY aggrevating. Mine is kinda an itchy pain, however, having my lumbar adjusted by my doctor helps me. I hate that feeling!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear