advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here trains in a true hardcore gym ???

chris250

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Is there any hardcore bodybuilder gyms anymore...Honeslty I train at a hole in the wall gym call Powertown gym...Its a gym in a old warehouse, with big semi doors that you can open up, and it makes you feel like your outside training...The equipment is about 15-20 years old, but in decent working order (think Metroflex equimpment, some homemade) and the dumbells are all different kinds (different companys) There is no set pattern in the gym, no color cordnation or anything...The equipment is all different brands and colors...But it works and I can get in a great workout in there...The smythe machine is not counter balance, so the bar itself weights probably 75 pounds or so...The treadmills there are a joke, but they work...LOL !!! I think they are about 15 years old...But again they are functioning and working well...So I can even do cardio there...I have a key to the gym so I can go at all hours...I will get some pics up in the next few days...But I want everyone how trains at a hardcore gym to post pics and describe how your gym is...

chris

I used to but it closed about 7 years ago. Only iron weights with 1 crummy treadmill. Dumbells went up to 200 lbs! Most of the stuff was homemade, but very good quality. No air conditioning until it turned 90 outside. Just open windows, weights clanging and AC/DC blaring through the speakers. Man, I miss that place bad.

Throw up some pics, I would like to see them

Chris250:

I truthfully think I've worked out at "Athletic Clubs" so long that my Y chromosome is not pronounced enough to even enter a "dungeon".

Very few of those survived here in Atlanta.

I wish there was a place like that around me. But sadly, I'm stuck with preppy commercial gyms. I hate them and 99% of the people that go there/work there. Especially their "trainers". :rolleyes:

We've had a bunch of new places open up, but they're all crap when I checked them out. When I move in the next few months there is a great place one town over. $55 a month though compared to $15 around here.

We have a few 24hr gyms around where I'm from. Mostly a fitness gym. Have alot of people who talk more than they work out and pretty much get in my way. What I really like are the people who get on the treadmills and walk 1mph. Last time I checked that won't get your heart rate up to do much of anything.

Is there any hardcore bodybuilder gyms anymore...Honeslty I train at a hole in the wall gym call Powertown gym...Its a gym in a old warehouse, with big semi doors that you can open up, and it makes you feel like your outside training...The equipment is about 15-20 years old, but in decent working order (think Metroflex equimpment, some homemade) and the dumbells are all different kinds (different companys) There is no set pattern in the gym, no color cordnation or anything...The equipment is all different brands and colors...But it works and I can get in a great workout in there...The smythe machine is not counter balance, so the bar itself weights probably 75 pounds or so...The treadmills there are a joke, but they work...LOL !!! I think they are about 15 years old...But again they are functioning and working well...So I can even do cardio there...I have a key to the gym so I can go at all hours...I will get some pics up in the next few days...But I want everyone how trains at a hardcore gym to post pics and describe how your gym is...

chris

A friend of mine owns a gym in my town just like the gym you go to. He is a hardcore powerlifter and the gym is in a storage garage complete with the roll up bay doors and all. He got his equipment from a gym that went out of business and the new owner bought new stuff and put the old equipment out in the parking lot. Its geared more towards powerlifters rather than bodybuilders, but still a cool place.

This is where i first started training (sigh)

I was here through my last years in college and a year after...best place ever and could never find another like it. Prince's Gym...(this is excerpted from DaveM on his website but it seems we used to train at the same place!). Now like everyone else it seems....I'n stuck at a 'civilian' gym working around the teenagers and middle aged women....and trainers wearing their tight UnderArmor Golf shirts.

Back when I was in high school in the early 90s, we were a small group of powerlifters - three of us - hitting the iron every day after school. While the other kids were worried about what parties they were going to that weekend, we were pounding it out in a shit-hole of a gym in Canonsburg, PA called Prince's. The gym was located in the same building as a facility that manufactured automobile bumpers. There were two pieces of cardio equipment - a treadmill and a Schwinn Airdyne bike. It was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There was one tanning bed but three squat racks and two deadlift platforms. Posters of Arnold, Frank and Dorian on the walls and holes in the carpet. The four 1970s-era, fake-wood-grain speakers hanging from the ceiling blasted Pantera and Biohazard and were warped and peeling from the rain that would leak through the roof. I paid $12 a month to work out there, and if I didn't have the cash, Mark Prince might let me slide a week if I'd take the trash out to the dumpster on my way out.
We beat the crap out of each other in that gym. It was intense. The yelling. The music. The chalk dust. The iron. And, oh the pain. There will never be another gym like Prince's.
There were 23 steps leading from the gravel parking lot to the gym entrance. I remember that number well since after a grueling leg day, there were only two ways of getting down those stairs: You either hung on to the railing and lowered yourself down, slowly, step by step; or you pushed off from the top and ran as fast as you could, using gravity to carry yourself to the bottom. The latter was the preferred method.

where you at in ATL?

Chris250:

Very few of those survived here in Atlanta.

where in ATL are any gyms left?

The Hardcore gym I used to hit was Main Event, but that took over by new ownershadyship and was moved out. That gym was pretty F'n hardcore till it died like most gyms like that do. Not many big ones left here in the Dirty Dirty that I have heard of....

Goo

Hardcore Gym - Forget about it!

I owned one for 3 years - Power Racks with Rubber Platforms, Kettle bells to 120lbs. Chains, Bands, sleds. Box Squats, Safety Squat Bars, Glute/Ham Bench, reverse hyper.

Guess what - 99% of the population hates that stuff. I had some hard core guys and cops - everyone else went to the posh place 7 miles away.

They want to use cybex stacks with 20lbs and use the adductor/abbductor machine (had those too)

Maybe in a very dense pop area.

Now I'm back in the Pharma business and miserable again.

theres a gym in my area called oceanside. Real monsters in that place. its just too far to drive to to train on a regular basis. they even have a back room dedicated to strongman. atlas stones and all.dumbells well into the 200's, almost no cardio equipment. and the place is packed all the time.

I use to train at a gym, I wouldn't even call it that, it was a garage with 1 piece of all the essentials. It was a key gym no one working at the desk there wasn't even a desk. Dummbbells were 15 thru 125 lbs and then the olympic db handles to make your own. All the powerlifting accessories etc.. No cardio equipment, the only downfall. No a/c at all only floor fans, and only heat from november to april. I started out there when I was 15 I am now 35. Was open till a few years ago. Some of the equipment is still around today. Some strong guys came out of there. 2 bodybuilder that made it to the national level, and a few powerlifters that made it pretty high. The name of the place was called the Power Plant. Brings back good memories.

My old gym had the big rollershutter doors lol

New place is toned down but still hardcore, all the equiment is the same and new. But there a conner for the powerlifting club, punch bags, hook and jab pads. I have had a complaint from the palites studio the classes are all woman and the powerlifting club were training. I was off work and the new guy well knew no better. So he let them play at high volume tunes from Metroflex. So there was a class of middle aged woman doing pailates trying to get the old chi karma buzz going on, lissenting to songs with with lyrics like "I want to fuck you like a animal". The member responsable said they "Loved it really", his words not mine for all the ladys on the board.:D

Cunt I am only there a month, I will send the owner a bunch of flowers and explain.:mad:

I'm down in Key West. there is actually a hardcore old warehouse gym here. Trouble is that there are only 2-3 big guys that work out there. Mostly just regular guys hoing to get big one day. I miss the gyms filled with monsters!

I do

Is there any hardcore bodybuilder gyms anymore...

Greg Longs gym in FEASTERVILLE PA. Old school/Hard core as it gets.

No spandex allowed.

Used to be a member at gold's a few years ago. I'm thinking about getting a membership at powerhouse this summer as soon as my current contract expires.

:D
Yeah my gym is pretty hardcore!

The equipment and the interior is from the 80s and looks like it is straight from pumping iron.
It really feels "golden era"... i love it!

It has everything you need and you have your own key and on a "crowded" day there are like 5 people in there... =)
The cost is 12 bucks a month!

It use to belong to a sport facility but the popularity faded sometime in the 90s and the sport facility pretty much vanished. but the gym is still open. Nobody is ever in the reception, an old guy comes and cleans it now and then. Its really lost in time...

Most people here doesnt even know it exists, its a kept secret! =)

Last edited:
Greg Longs gym in FEASTERVILLE PA. Old school/Hard core as it gets.

No spandex allowed.

I used to train At greg LONGS when i worked at C&C ford. that was my favorite gym of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's not kidding it really diesnt get any more hard core than that place. i used to drive out there even when i lived in philly.

I have trained at Quads and used to go up Ernie Frantz place. On a saturday morning there 7-8 squating 800 and a few more doing 900. That was back in the mid 80's. For the last 15 years I have been training at home. Can't beat havin your own stuff. Plenty of weights, dumbells, chains, bands - hydraulic squat stands/ platform , reverse hyper, power rack , glute ham. My partners are all high school or college kids.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131