over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why am I weaker on a smith machine

Anthony80

Registered
Newbies
I kind of figured my strength would increase on a smith machine but totally opposite, I’m stronger using free weights, does anyone have that experience and if so why is that ?

I kind of figured my strength would increase on a smith machine but totally opposite, I’m stronger using free weights, does anyone have that experience and if so why is that ?
Which exercise(s)? Smith compound movements lock you into its own resistance path. With free weights you mechanically shift the weight into your own resistance path, which can absolutely recruit more activity from the secondary and tertiary muscles (compound) to complete the movement. The movement plane on bench press for example is an arc and helps to recruit front delts more. Smith bench press is linear and can restrict front delt assisance. In many ways compound smith movements can place more emphasis on the primary target muscle, which will decrease load capacity.

Which exercise(s)? Smith compound movements lock you into its own resistance path. With free weights you mechanically shift the weight into your own resistance path, which can absolutely recruit more activity from the secondary and tertiary muscles (compound) to complete the movement. The movement plane on bench press for example is an arc and helps to recruit front delts more. Smith bench press is linear and can restrict front delt assisance. In many ways compound smith movements can place more emphasis on the primary target muscle, which will decrease load capacity.
Yes the bench press was the one that I was weaker on smith machine, now I’m back to free weight bench only , seriously the only exercise I find smith machine better than free weights is calf raises because of better balance I get compared to free weight, any other exercises I find smith machine useless

Yes the bench press was the one that I was weaker on smith machine, now I’m back to free weight bench only , seriously the only exercise I find smith machine better than free weights is calf raises because of better balance I get compared to free weight, any other exercises I find smith machine useless
Is your goal strength or hypertrophy?

Is your goal strength or hypertrophy?
Hypertrophy definitely, but would like to be somewhat strong also , I will never bench 400lbs that’s for sure , don’t seem to have the strength genetics lol, some guys are just powerhouses, I’m not one of them lol

one you have to get used to the machine , secondly a smith machine most of them allow very little wiggle room to leverage other muscles that you may in say a flat or incline barbell . so its much more stricter, which is why its perfect for body building.

If you are not set up well and keeping the force under the bar it is easy to end up pushing the bar against the 2 supporting poles causing more friction. But as long as your lifts on the smith are going up then you are making progress. And it can not be compared to a traditional flat bench.

Bro by any chance do you know if that would make the smith machine more prone to causing injures compared to free weights? Like I said I think the smith machine for calf raises is superior because your balance is much more controlled and you can go heavier, I appreciate your input

some "smiths" have a heavier bar weight than a normal bar - e.g. at one of my gyms the smith is 30kg where a standard bar weighs 20kg(45lbs)
This! LA fitness I can shoulder press 3 plates on each side. 24hr fitness it's only 2 and a 10. Lol

Anybody know if they make a ‘selectorized’ version, one with a dual (or single, toooo much friction?) weight stacks? Seems like a no-brainer to me. I see many advantages.

Regarding the bar weight, at one point in time on the Smith machine bar was counter balanced; i.e., the bar weighed nothing, would remain nearly motionless in any position, could move it with your little pinky. Advantage? Hell if I know. I just remember a few of them like that.

And I can’t, with any degree of confidence answer the OP’s original question. It is an interesting question / observation, one I have not heard anyone experiencing before.

Bro by any chance do you know if that would make the smith machine more prone to causing injures compared to free weights? Like I said I think the smith machine for calf raises is superior because your balance is much more controlled and you can go heavier, I appreciate your input
I injured my back a long time ago doing smith overhead presses. Weird right? Didn’t position my torso right and tried to go too heavy. Heavy presses are good with barbells and dumbbells, but I think smith machines are great for feel, contraction, and higher reps. Great for hypertrophy if done right. That’s why I asked if your aim was hypertrophy or strength.

I injured my back a long time ago doing smith overhead presses. Weird right? Didn’t position my torso right and tried to go too heavy. Heavy presses are good with barbells and dumbbells, but I think smith machines are great for feel, contraction, and higher reps. Great for hypertrophy if done right. That’s why I asked if your aim was hypertrophy or strength.
I totally agree. I've done all my chest and shoulder pressing on Smith machines for years, I can't feel it close to the same way with a barbell or dumbbells.

I totally agree. I've done all my chest and shoulder pressing on Smith machines for years, I can't feel it close to the same way with a barbell or dumbbells.
Agree. I did DB presses today for the first time in awhile. Can honestly say I didn't feel it in my chest. Felt more shoulder strain than anything.

Are you able to get away with flat pressing on smith? Reason I ask is because any time I get above around 3 and a quarter plates (usually work with 4 plates on top sets) I get a really weird tweak in my left pec/clavicle insertion almost no matter what. Have done constant adjusting in form, massages, etc. have a feeling it might just be my anatomy is not fit for flat barbell benching of any kind.

Are you able to get away with flat pressing on smith? Reason I ask is because any time I get above around 3 and a quarter plates (usually work with 4 plates on top sets) I get a really weird tweak in my left pec/clavicle insertion almost no matter what. Have done constant adjusting in form, massages, etc. have a feeling it might just be my anatomy is not fit for flat barbell benching of any kind.
Yes, my all time best on a Smith flat press is 500 x 4 which I did last September. Hard to say what your issue could be - maybe try benching with the left arm a little further in or out than the right.

Depends on the smith machine.

For example in my gym, the weight I use on the smith machine is the same weight I’d use free weight. I’ve trained at other gyms where they’ve been much heavier but also the range of motion I get from them isn’t ideal.

My chest and shoulders have come on a lot in the last year since changing over only to smith machine.

I like doing OH smith machine press to the top and middle of my head a la Melvin Anthony

Not in front, not behind the neck

Feels just right

Same here.It never fails.I just do incline and shoulder presses on the smith now.It's not a tear either.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member