over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Young client corrupted

ridge11

Registered
I have a new client who is 19 and very eager to become a bodybuilder. He has been doing about 30 sets/body part. I have decided he needs to completely switch his thinking so I have decided to go back to basics with his approach.

Here is what I am thinking:

Day 1
Chest, delts, arms:
A1. Cleans 5x5
A2. Bench 5x5
B1. Dips 4x10
B2. BB Curl 4x8
C1. 1 Arm Standing DB Press 3x15

Day 2
Back, Legs:

A1. Trap bar Deads 5x5
B1. Neutral Pullups 4xfailure
B2. Front Squat 4x12
C1. Croc Rows 3x20
C2. Calf Raise
*bulging discs in lumbar spine from football

Day 3
Off, Cardio, Core

Repeat

What do you think? Why?

Interested, but have nothing to add, so BUMP! :headbang:

I have a new client who is 19 and very eager to become a bodybuilder. He has been doing about 30 sets/body part. I have decided he needs to completely switch his thinking so I have decided to go back to basics with his approach.

Here is what I am thinking:

Day 1
Chest, delts, arms:
A1. Cleans 5x5
A2. Bench 5x5
B1. Dips 4x10
B2. BB Curl 4x8
C1. 1 Arm Standing DB Press 3x15

Day 2
Back, Legs:

A1. Trap bar Deads 5x5
B1. Neutral Pullups 4xfailure
B2. Front Squat 4x12
C1. Croc Rows 3x20
C2. Calf Raise
*bulging discs in lumbar spine from football

Day 3
Off, Cardio, Core

Repeat

What do you think? Why?

Would this be good a for a beginning strength athlete (13 years old)?

I think that's a great workout for someone young and needing a reminder to "get back to the basics". Make sure those cleans are done with proper form, otherwise they're worthless. I'd also make it a clean and strict press IMO.

I would definitely put him in the Beginner category in both the physique and knowledge department. He is far far away from his goal. 175lbs 17+%bf. Also I am only meeting with him once a month, the rest is done via email.

I would strongly recommend not to at 13 he is beginning puberty and introducing him to this activity could literally stunt his growth. At his age have him work on push ups, pull ups, body squats, an work etc using nothing but his body weight - get him the door bar thing that I cannot remember the name of at the moment and have him go to town on that for a while and concentrate on getting him eating healthy and his diet so when he is a cpl years older he will have good understanding of nutrition and the basics down.

Looks solid I would even be tempted to stick front squats on day 1 and pretty much do full bodies 3 times per week with weekend off.

Only other I would say is some hamstring work, and chins if he has bulging disc then hyper extensions and chins may be very effective without loading the spine

At 13 I think body weight training is fantastic, dips chins push ups suspension training and old fashioned climbing rope all build great body strength as an addition

Sorry I just saw you have neutral chins.

Like I say just one or two more exercises and they are full body routines excellent basic mass builders.

I love cleans

Id personally keep the cleans at 3 reps and under since i feel form goes to shit after that. Id raise the rep range a bit on the bench and possibly add in a lateral raise on the first day and a rear delt flye for the second day but thats just me. It looks fine as it is

Last edited:
I am going to start him at 5x5 on clean and drop reps as weight goes up.

I was thinking laterals too, but 99% of people suck at them, so i put the 1 arm press in there to maintain overhead mobility.

Looks solid I would even be tempted to stick front squats on day 1 and pretty much do full bodies 3 times per week with weekend off.

Only other I would say is some hamstring work, and chins if he has bulging disc then hyper extensions and chins may be very effective without loading the spine

I would do full bodies, but I think that would be too much of a shock for him. Also he is 19 not 13. I have him doing hypers right now. I want to see how his back holds up to the trap deads, and if they get too tough on his back I will swap out deads for hypers.

I'd do Mon-Wed-Fri, same split.

Cardio and abs on Tue-Thu-Sat

Sorry, read that wrong. This would not be good for someone that young. Stick to pullups, dips, pushups, bodyweight core training, and sprint variations.

I would strongly recommend not to at 13 he is beginning puberty and introducing him to this activity could literally stunt his growth. At his age have him work on push ups, pull ups, body squats, an work etc using nothing but his body weight - get him the door bar thing that I cannot remember the name of at the moment and have him go to town on that for a while and concentrate on getting him eating healthy and his diet so when he is a cpl years older he will have good understanding of nutrition and the basics down.

I am surprised by this line of thinking. Is this backed by science? I ask, because I do not want to stunt his growth.

He has done plenty of bodyweight training in years past and is familiar with trap bar squats and some other movements that he did as part of a training program - at a school that specializes in athletic performance.

I am surprised by this line of thinking. Is this backed by science? I ask, because I do not want to stunt his growth.

He has done plenty of bodyweight training in years past and is familiar with trap bar squats and some other movements that he did as part of a training program - at a school that specializes in athletic performance.

This is a very controversial issue. What it comes down to is, doing explosive weighted movements puts tremendous stress on the growth plates of the bones, which COULD stunt growth. Using weights WILL improve performance. BUT at 13 years old what is going to separate the good athletes from the mediocre athletes are genetics and practice. SO what is most important?

Last edited:
I was 6 feet tall when I was 16 and I started lifting weights. I never grew anymore but idk if it has anything to do with the weights or that I just simply stopped growing

The only way to stunt growth is with Injury to the growth plates not any mechanical loading or explosive weighted movements. In fact weighted movements actually have a positive effect on growth.
Strength training and the immature athl... [Pediatr Nurs. 1993 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI
Questions and Answers About Growth Plate Injuries
**broken link removed**
Teach the kid proper form and progressions and he will flourish

I need to choose carefully. I personally bucked the genetic height wagon (5' 6). I did not surpass my dad. I have various reasons for attributing my lack of height.

THAT BEING SAID. My son is WAY different than me. He is at least average height for his age. In comparison, I was a shrimp.

I will read those links (thank you) and choose carefully because I would forever be upset at myself if I made a decision that negatively affected his height.

Conversely, I look at weight training as an activity that can contribute greatly to his life in a positive way.

Decisions..Decisions! :banghead:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
kil-abee
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner