over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

your training mistakes

I did this very same thing 3 weeks ago, in two full leg casts now after surgery. It really blows. Doc said there was evidene that the tendons had been separating from the bone a little here and there over the years .. and I thought it was just tendontis, advil, heat rubs, ice.... didnt help. They ripped totally off the bone, and I collapsed with 405 lbs straight down. THANK GOD I had the sense to use the safety racks just below parallel or I'd likely be dead now, or a broken neck or back. I realized that it wasn't just tendonitis as I was being hauled out of Gold's gym in an ambulance. Now Ihave 6 months to figure out what to do next... and watch a shytpot full of TV:mad:

How long will you be off from work? I dont think you can collect workman's comp can you, since it didnt happen at work? Maybe long term disability if you had that?

When I first started lifting, I was overtraining like hell. I had no idea about muscle recovery. I just thought if I work out my whole body everyday then I will get big. My diet was also pretty poor. I never took days off for the first year and I would train for 2-3 hrs. Thank God I bought my first issue of Muscle and Fitness and started learning everything I was doing was wrong.

overcomplicating everything. tweaking my workout left and right and buying every crap supplement on the market when i didnt even have the basics right. at one point i did 20+ sets per bodypart training 6 on 1 off hitting the muscle from every angle i could come up with.

Great thread... I'd have to say when i first started I overtrained and under ate. Then training was descent but didn't eat the right foods so i still wouldn't grow much. Then I basically over ate thinking it would all be muscle. Ya not even close. Now I'm happy where I sit but could still use help in the nutrition part... So if anyone can point me in the right direction or has any great reading articles on nutrition and what to eat and its not just BS reading, then I'd greatly appreciate it. This is a great site and you guys/gals are great and im always trying to learn from it :) Thanks guys

My training mistakes? Wow, where do I begin?

Off the top of my head, number one is training while sitting down. If given the opportunity I always opt for the standing position. I feel it recruits more muscle overall and builds a solid core.

Number two is not using enough body-through-space movements. As soon as I started focusing on this aspect the gains came fast, and still do. I've always favored free weights over machines, but the BTS is truly superior in just about every case, with only a few exceptions.

The third stupid mistake I made was training slow to "feel the muscle working" as some proclaim. I learned to feel the mind-muscle connection through controlled, explosive reps. I was surprised to find that I was getting a much better cardiovascular and muscular workout with this style of training.

The forth mistake is similar to the third, I try to avoid stalling mid set. I always visualize myself as a piston. Pumping without pause until the lactic acid has its way and stops the movement dead in its tracks. Then after a couple deep breathes I pump the last few reps out.

Fifth mistake is using too many exercises. A few great exercises per muscle group and I'm never bored.

Sixth is buying too many supplements. It's amazing how good some of the marketing is. I think I've probably tried them all at some point. I wasted enough money to send my kids through college, if I had any. I did, however, learn what does work so I guess I paid for my own education learning the hard way.

The last and biggest mistake I ever made was not being open-minded to new training concepts. Supplements sure, but it took me awhile to learn to experiment and find what works and what doesn't in the area of training routines.

Man, did it suck to be a rookie in the iron game, but everybody's gotta pay their dues.

Last edited:
when i first started training i did chest 3 times a week and legs heavy twice a week,both led to injuries

it's not cell tech lol
i used to change workouts depending on what the "new" wk out was of the month and i wasted many months of training.
the body is not as "smart" as a magazine might want you to believe. train HARD train CONSISTENTLY and EAT right and you will reach goals.
magazines are good for one thing... to sell products and more magazines. -JS

Good call on the magazines.

I did their routines,took the recommended supplements of the month and never ended up looking like the guys in the pictures.Why? Then you learn and first feel stupid then get pissed.

overtrained like a mofo, turned to HIT and now I will never look back.

I did this very same thing 3 weeks ago, in two full leg casts now after surgery. It really blows. Doc said there was evidene that the tendons had been separating from the bone a little here and there over the years .. and I thought it was just tendontis, advil, heat rubs, ice.... didnt help. They ripped totally off the bone, and I collapsed with 405 lbs straight down. THANK GOD I had the sense to use the safety racks just below parallel or I'd likely be dead now, or a broken neck or back. I realized that it wasn't just tendonitis as I was being hauled out of Gold's gym in an ambulance. Now Ihave 6 months to figure out what to do next... and watch a shytpot full of TV:mad:

Sorry to hear this!! I feel for you because I know what you are dealing with physically and mentally right now. That's exactly what my surgeon told me. He told me that my overtraining left me with micro-tears in my tendons and the day finally came when they had enough. You will be back on your feet but it will require patience and rehab. After you come out of those casts you're going to be stiff as hell. Do your PT and come out the other side smarter. If you need to talk about anything at all, PM me. Believe me, I have been where you are and understand.

My biggest mistake was over-training. Gotta listen to your body. I didn't. I got tendenitis in my forearm and woked through the pain for about a yr. Besides the overall stress on my CNS Im now saving money for surgery on my arm. I was scared to quit training because I thought I would lose my gains if I stopped for a couple weeks to let my arm heal. Now I haven't lifted foe 3 weeks and and it will be a lot longer before I'm back to upper body lifts.:(

sacrificing form to do more weight when i was young and dumb

Years ago, trying to follow a fellow gym members (national level competitor)training, eating habits, and sleep patterns verbatim instead of doing what works best for my body.

Being naive and stupid I failed to realize he wasn't natural and had a super fast metabolism as mine was slow as shit. I proceeded to gain 40lbs of fat over the next 6 months and look like shit and he went on to place respectabely at national level show.................It took me forever to understand why that happened.:D

Thats a GREAT one!

sacrificing form to do more weight when i was young and dumb

funny when i look around at the gym and guys smaller than me are heaving and pushing around more weight than i am but my form is near perfect (in most lifts, still working on mastering a few other lifts)
FORM is so important if you truly want to be BIGGER and stay in this game for a long time.
i have seen guys do pull ups and get a great bicep workout LOL -JS

WOW, looks like almost evertone over trained some time or another.

For me, the 1st year or so. I would work out everyday of the weak. I did seperate body part each day. 5 out of 7 days of the weak i would go back to the gym at night to do abs.....

I was almost always feeling tired and it seemed like i could never gain a pound.

Now i do every other day.(1 on, 1 off. 1 on, i off. and so on).....
Feel much better this way.

Great Topic: I will take a little license and list more than one because each was my biggest at a differnet stage of the last twenty five years.

1) Original Sin: My original biggest mistake was overtraining by frequency. Coming from a highschool lifting environment for sports with zero knowledge and little equipment, we worked out each muscle three times a week MWF. I continued on with that when I started training on my own.

2) Secondary Sin: I corrected the frequency issue by judicious readings of magazines and better knowledge in my gym and jumped straight into overtraining by volume. I'm talking three hour "How much ya Bench?" workouts.

3. Later in my career thinking the way to get bigger was "Bulking" and "Cutting". I did a lot more bulking and very little cutting. Ate volume, period.

4. If a little is good, more is better, thus gram plus cycles that were actually not cycles because I ran them for six months to a year at a time.

How long will you be off from work? I dont think you can collect workman's comp can you, since it didnt happen at work? Maybe long term disability if you had that?

This Thursday will be 4 weeks since the injury. I have 2 great LT disability insurance policies, but they only work if I'm out more than 90 days. I'll probably be out about 60, so I'll just use all of my accrued sick and vacation time. Didnt have short term disability, but should have gotten it, was cheap and would have gotten 2 or 3 g, oh well.

One of my biggest mistakes was bringing my ego to the gym, and trying to be the strongest guy in the gym. Now day's my ego stay's home, and I feel (and look) much better! I get some wierd looks when I'm shoulder pressing 50lb dumbells (@ 5'10"-225lbs), but it doesn't bother me, because I know that "form and concentration" are the key to growth (and pain free joints:p).

My biggest mistake is when I first train for over 1 year, I didnt know much about dieting and was eating crap shit food and took my first cycle on D-bol without any nolvadex and clomid because I was young and such a smart arse and know it all but I was wrong. I hope the young guys can learn from this thread.

1) Thought I was such a bad ass skull crushing 135. Was so full of myself it led to some serious joint problems in my elbows. Now I can't skull crush at all, and have to be really careful with anytype of tricep extension.

2) Heavy shoulder training = dead left shoulder with sharp pain.

3) Trying to squat heavy, making my right knee blow and to swell up to the size of a softball.

4) Tweaking my left pec

5) Bad form on rows leading to injuring my right wrist somehow

6) No form of nutrition, relying soley on protein shakes and other supplements to fill my dietary needs

Basically Not listening to my body, having a huge ego which is now in check (Thank the lord), and buying every type of supplement on the market realizing I need nutrition in order, not every super cool dietary supplement.

Damn I feel like that asshole in the gym right about now.

over training= injuries tendontis

to much cardio to diet down

to much shit food back in the day when it was cool to bulk some of you guys remeber when that was cool. :cool:

what i learned from all that is less is best.

SB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner