over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who has given up gluten

comedycentral

Registered
I've been reading more and more about people giving up gluten and grain.
I've only eaten spelt bread and oatmeal for ages but decided to give it up for a month or so. A lot of people claimed they noticed a huge reduction in inflammation and joint health etc but to be honest I haven't noticed anything.

I still can't work out if spelt is actually grain or sprouted grain, damn google

I've been gluten free for about 3 months now. I've never felt better. Chronic ankle pain has subsided, my GERD is completely gone without meds, even a rash under my eye cleared up.

Now that its been long enough to feel good, if I cheat and eat something with gluten I get bloated, my ankle immediately starts hurting and I get depressed feeling.

I'm on my phone now but have some articles I can send you when I get home if you're interested.

Been 90% gluten free for about 6 to 8 months now and love it. Tons of benefits like no bloating, no acid reflux, lost a few lbs, etc..... I cheat from time to time when i go out to eat but we dont have bread, pasta, flour, tortillas or anything like that in our pantry. Condiments are tough because they are not always gluten free but i figure as long as i stay 90% im doing pretty good.

I pretty much eat no gluten....and even when I'm done contest prepping here I'm gonna keep it out (gluten free pastas etc) except for like out to eat cheat meals. I don't notice a whole lot, but most people have a gluten intolerance to SOME degree.

its been 2 years now, feel great..!

i mainly did it because of my wife, she has the problem with it.

however i just felt better with out it after i started ....

now if i cheat and have it, my body cant even handle it !

feel sick and all i to is get bloated and have gas for the rest of the day.

my wife calls me a gluten free want a be :headbang:

I`m so happy to not be genetically inferior... I eat gluten/bread every day! Look at your teeth, read human history, we are supposed to eat grains, whole grains not bleached wonder white, that is not the natural form.

I`m so happy to not be genetically inferior... I eat gluten/bread every day! Look at your teeth, read human history, we are supposed to eat grains, whole grains not bleached wonder white, that is not the natural form.

Read the book "Wheat Belly" when you get a chance. You're right to some degree - humans have eaten grains for a verrrry long time. But the grains/gluten contained in them is now much different in structure due to genetic modification. The author is a bit of an alarmist, so I took his arguments with a grain of salt. Still, some great and interesting info in there...

Actually evolutionarily speaking, humans have only consumed grains for a short period of time. You should also check out The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. Talks about the diet that humans are genetically primed for and grains are not a part of it. And it certainly has nothing to do with being genetically inferior.

No one has said we are not supposed to eat grains!!!! Its a fact that the grains (Wheat especially) that we eat are not the same as my 100 yr old grandpa ate. They have been genetically altered so bad that they are developing diseases or tolerances like Gluten. Gluten is not found in wheat from the 40's and 50's. Its was developed by genetically altering these grains to make them yield more per bushel. Wheat is supposed to be about 4' tall and yield "X amount" per bushel. Scientists altered the wheat and its now about 12" to 16" tall and yields about 2 to 3 times what original wheat used to yield per bushel. Gluten is a man made problem.

Everyone should read the book "The Wheat Belly". Great read.

No one has said we are not supposed to eat grains!!!! Its a fact that the grains (Wheat especially) that we eat are not the same as my 100 yr old grandpa ate. They have been genetically altered so bad that they are developing diseases or tolerances like Gluten. Gluten is not found in wheat from the 40's and 50's. Its was developed by genetically altering these grains to make them yield more per bushel. Wheat is supposed to be about 4' tall and yield "X amount" per bushel. Scientists altered the wheat and its now about 12" to 16" tall and yields about 2 to 3 times what original wheat used to yield per bushel. Gluten is a man made problem.

Do you have something to support this claim? Is it from Wheat Belly? I have read a lot about gluten intolerance and never come across this. And from what I know about gluten it seems very unlikely that it would not exist in wheat from the 40's or 50's.

Now you are correct that genetic engineering took place to increase yield. In fact, Norman Borlaug won a Nobel Prize for developing those high yield dwarf varieties of wheat.

There is, however, a less prevalent 'form' of gluten that has emerged from genetic engineering, glia-a9. It has more reactivity for celiacs and people with gluten sensitivity and is not as present in older varieties, so in a sense you are correct that man made it worse, but man did not create it.

The other problems that arise are 1) wheat is much less nutritious than it used to be, also due to genetic engineering, 2) the way it's produced is highly refined, not fermented, hard to digest. Even Weston A Price, who does advocate consuming grains, says to soak/sprout/ferment them so they can be properly digested.

Fact is, whether symptomatic or not, in many people gluten inflames the body, perforates the guy and causes a whole host of maladies. And here's the thing, there's no good reason to eat it. There is nothing it provides that can't be obtained elsewhere in more abundant amounts without the negative side effects. Not to mention the phytates in grains, but that's another topic.

PF- I dont have the articles i read them from. I am one of those people that is a hard sell. What i mean is i didnt buy into the gluten thing, grass fed thing, organic, or anything like that, at first. I like to do as much research and reading on a subject before i make my opinion. I do now believe in all the above but it was from several upon several articles, research papers, and such that i formed my opinion. I did read what i posted above but unfortunately i didnt write down where that came from. I actually read it several times in several different articles, so that is not just my opinion, it has been proven.

I also believe thats why people like my grandpa and grandma, dont have the "Wheat Belly" so to speak. The paunch that we are seeing on the vast majority of people now a days has several underlying factors dont get me wrong, but i believe that wheat and gluten has some to do with it and has contributed to it in some what shape of form.

I have been mostly gluten and grain free for over a year. (Cheat meals may have some sometimes). There has been a huge diffrence in how I look, feel and even think.

Fruit and potatoes tend to be the best carb sources for most people.

PF- I dont have the articles i read them from. I am one of those people that is a hard sell. What i mean is i didnt buy into the gluten thing, grass fed thing, organic, or anything like that, at first. I like to do as much research and reading on a subject before i make my opinion. I do now believe in all the above but it was from several upon several articles, research papers, and such that i formed my opinion. I did read what i posted above but unfortunately i didnt write down where that came from. I actually read it several times in several different articles, so that is not just my opinion, it has been proven.

I also believe thats why people like my grandpa and grandma, dont have the "Wheat Belly" so to speak. The paunch that we are seeing on the vast majority of people now a days has several underlying factors dont get me wrong, but i believe that wheat and gluten has some to do with it and has contributed to it in some what shape of form.

Fair enough. I was hoping to read more about that hypothesis. I certainly agree today's wheat and modern agriculture have made things worse, but I think gluten intolerance has always existed to some degree.

Well my original post might be misleading. I went to edit it but was too late. Anyway its my understanding that gluten (A protein) has ALWAYS existed but not in the high amounts it exists in now a days after being genetically altered. Yes it has been there but not on the same level it is now. Sorry i dont have any links

Well my original post might be misleading. I went to edit it but was too late. Anyway its my understanding that gluten (A protein) has ALWAYS existed but not in the high amounts it exists in now a days after being genetically altered. Yes it has been there but not on the same level it is now. Sorry i dont have any links

That I can agree with. I'll also add that there are several form of gluten and another part of the problem is the ones that are more reactive have become more prevalent with modern agriculture. I think we are on the same page, though we might be articulating it differently. :)

I have been mostly gluten and grain free for over a year. (Cheat meals may have some sometimes). There has been a huge diffrence in how I look, feel and even think.

Fruit and potatoes tend to be the best carb sources for most people.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about gluten and about my timeline with giving it up too. It really is a strange thing once you stop eating it daily...your body starts to work better, you shit better, you feel more nurished from food, you think clearer.

Well, I did at least! :lightbulb:

Been free now for around 2 years but its damn hard work avoiding it!!!

Carb sources now are sweet pots, brown rice and fruits and veg!

Tend to make my own cheat day foods such as gluten free choc brownie, flapjacks, cheesecakes and rocky road blocks etc :D

I do miss pizza and beer but if i indulge in even a reasonable amount of gluten food stuff i suffer with the worst hangover, foggy head and a complete lack of energy (and thats ontop of my CFS and Fybromyalgia :( )

And no, i dont think gluten free breads etc are a worthwhile alternative, waste of bloomin time :mad:

\
I do miss pizza and beer :

We make a pizza crust from coconut flour, eggs, and mozzarella. The missus isn't around so I don't have the exact amounts of the ingredients. But if you google it, you should find something.

Then we take our homemade sauce and add a little oregano for the pizza sauce flavor. You bake the crust for a little while, take it out and put on the sauce, cheese, and for us some kind of meat. Flippin awesome and VERY filling. No flatulation after eating either.

We have been gluten free for probably a year now. At 50, I feel way better than 10 years ago. The gi tract is working way better. It takes a while to really see the benefits. And it is a gradual thing, you don't suddenly feel better and know that it was because you went grain free. It really hits you when you indulge in bread or something from grain and immediately feel like shit.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Stromba926
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131