over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

lateral raises only for delts?

i switch between laterals and BB/smith machine shoulder (pulls?/raises?) idk wtf they are called... the one where u grab bar shoulder width and pull up to ur nipple line or under ur chin....

upright row?

Describe what everyone here wants to stay, I still subscribe to the full enchilada shoulder routine

DB/military presses
DB side laterals
DB/BB front raises
DB/machine rear delt

Why only do side laterals when you have all these other exercises? Never in my life until now have I ever heard side lateral raises are all that is necessary

Laterals only right here. And as you can see, my delts don't suck

Attachments

• 20130528_130302.jpg
    20130528_130302.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 861
I've been thinking about cutting out the military press in my routine for awhile now. They occasionally flare up an old shoulder blade injury (pinched nerve) I had a long time ago. My shoulder mass is decent, but I could use more shape and definition. I'm going to start concentrating more on laterals and see how it goes? Thanks fellas!

Describe what everyone here wants to stay, I still subscribe to the full enchilada shoulder routine

DB/military presses
DB side laterals
DB/BB front raises
DB/machine rear delt

Why only do side laterals when you have all these other exercises? Never in my life until now have I ever heard side lateral raises are all that is necessary

Give it another 10+ years of wear and tear and then you will find out. Its not that those exercises don't build muscle, its because many of them are very hard on the rotator cuff muscles and over time will lead to injury.

My shoulders went for my worst bodypart to my best by doing only seated DB side raises and seated DB bent raises, occasionally I would throw in seated hammer presses for a set or 2 of 10 to 12 reps.

lat raises only is perfectly fine, you can build nice shoulders this way...fact

I throw in some lateral raises on my back day if...

JT, what do you ususally do for your posteriors?

I am feeling energetic. If it is a heavy back day- I leave them alone.

I prefer:

Seated DB Presses
Seated side laterals
seated front laterals

I get rear delts from heavy pulling movements from back but I supplement with high cable pulls to the face and heavy shrugs, both BB and DB

If you do decide to do laterals only.....MAKE SURE YOU HIT THE ROTATORS DIRECTLY

Give it another 10+ years of wear and tear and then you will find out. Its not that those exercises don't build muscle, its because many of them are very hard on the rotator cuff muscles and over time will lead to injury.

I have no doubt this is true. I've been doing this for 10 years and my left shoulder is a pain in the ass to me sometimes. I just work through it but I can no longer do upright rows. My shoulders might be my strongest bodypart though so if all it takes is lat raises to maintain them, so be it.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I rarely see any guys with mutated like rear shoulder caps unless they isolate the shit out of them. It took me 3 years of doing the pec dec backwards for 4 sets (each set was a drop set with 4 mini sets) so basically 16 sets in about 5-10minutes, before I developed decent rear delts.

don't mean to come off rude or anything, but maybe in those 3 years your growth of the rear delt may have been due to an increase in overall size of you

I never liked doing backward pec decks, I think they put the shoulder joint in an unfavorable position

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I rarely see any guys with mutated like rear shoulder caps unless they isolate the shit out of them. It took me 3 years of doing the pec dec backwards for 4 sets (each set was a drop set with 4 mini sets) so basically 16 sets in about 5-10minutes, before I developed decent rear delts.

I agree completely.

I started doing alot more isolation on my rears with reverse pec deck and reverse db incline flys (laying on stomach on incline bench) and I've been getting comments about how big and round my shoulders are ever since. I do 12-20 reps per set with low weight and perfect form and it completely kills my shoulders.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

I do standing barbell presses. I love them. My shoulders have never been bigger, stronger, or healthier. My bench has never been so strong.

Also, that's the only pressing movement I do for shoulders. 5 or 6 sets of 6's or higher.

If you can build great shoulders without them, awesome for you. For me, my overall upper body strength has never been as strong without an overhead pressing movement.

two exercises that I can no longer do are flat benches and shoulder presses. My right shoulder is too screwed up for either one :-(

oops. so yes, i only do laterals for delts

My posteriors seem to really grow from doing heavy bentover barbell rows. Not sure about JT, thought id mention what worked for me.

I just erased my sophomoric comment on people who have worked on Maldorf's posterior. Sorry Mal! I am still kicking albeit some challenges (minor) , how are you?

Pwood

I have no doubt this is true. I've been doing this for 10 years and my left shoulder is a pain in the ass to me sometimes. I just work through it but I can no longer do upright rows. My shoulders might be my strongest bodypart though so if all it takes is lat raises to maintain them, so be it.

Yeah, I was just like you. I started lifting at about age 15 and by the age of 32 or so I started getting the shoulder issues. It would be one shoulder for a few months and then that one would heal up and then the other one would be messed up etc.

Believe it or not, you can grow larger shoulders just doing lateral raises along with what you normally do for chest.

I don't do much shoulder presses, 1 set of DB presses light weights if at all. However, I do a lot of isolated work with my delts. Front, side, rear... I know everyone has there own methods, but this is working for this newbie. :) If I don't isolate my rear delts I start to feel as if my front delts are getting all the attention.

I don't do any pressing movements for delts anymore. All lateral, front and rear delt raises and my delts bigger and more capped than ever. All I ever got from doing shoulder presses was hurt..

Yeah, I was just like you. I started lifting at about age 15 and by the age of 32 or so I started getting the shoulder issues. It would be one shoulder for a few months and then that one would heal up and then the other one would be messed up etc.

Believe it or not, you can grow larger shoulders just doing lateral raises along with what you normally do for chest.

Call me crazy but I also think spot injections (aas and hgh) have helped make my shoulders really strong points of mine.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jan912
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws