advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Thinking Bodybuilder's Toolbox for health.(bp,cholesterol,heart,kidney,liver)

These are just some notes I have had for a while that I have accumulated for myself to be the healthiest bodybuilder possible. When we live this lifestyle and expose ourselves to the possible health risks in the long run, its probably in our best interests to have the mental fortitude to take care of our health and do what we can that is proactive.

Please feel free to add notes or your own opinions on what is on here, ask questions, and suggest other things that might be in our best interests.
Sorry if it seems just jotted out or thrown together but its a start towards a list, bouncing ideas off eachother, and educating eachother about what is on here and what should be on here and how we should take it to prevent health problems down the line.

Fish Oil...probably the best supplement out there for health. I like to take 10 a day.

NAC (best liver support out there)-glutathione precursor...seems 2-3g a day is suggested as fantastic for health.

NA-R-ala, or R-ala.....Super Anti-oxidant, liver support, glucose disposal agent 300-600mg/day

Vitamin D....5,000-10,000iu/day

Vitamin C....2-4g/day

Vitamin E....400iu 2x daily

Vitamin B complex......once daily

Niacin(flush)...non-flush seems to not work as well. (vitamin b3)

Ubiquinol...superior form of co-q-10. Cardiovascular health and anti-oxidant

Baby Aspirin....81mg to prevent heart attack/stroke, thin blood, help blood pressure

Saw Palmetto....prostate health

Apple Cider Vinegar.

(the following three are from a board sponsor and have been well documented by lk3 and phil)
Injectable CURCUMIN
Injectable GLUTATHIONE
Injectable RESVERATROL

****Some other things I have read about but don't know if they are essentials for everyone****

Tyler's Liver Detox
Nsi Hawthorne Extract
Himalya Heart Care
Iforce Heart Help
Magnesium Oratate(cardiomag 2.0)
Nattokinase
Tocotrienols
Sesamin(works in rats....not sure how effective it would be or how important)
Red Yeast Rice...many experts would opt to use this as a last resort to lowering cholesterol

Missing one organ... while on Supertest at 1500mg I got pancreatitis...the pain is ungodly... had to exlude fats for awhile until it went away in a couple weeks..ended supertest..threw it away... never had an issue again...soooooooo
keeping the pancreas healthy... I'll have to look into that

So not much for cholesterol. What kind of whole foods have you found to help?

Also I don't think I saw TUDCA mentioned for liver/cholesterol. Maybe I missed it. Thoughts? It also seems to have other interesting benefits

Last edited:
What does everybody think of Antaeus Labs Talos?

The Talos formula promotes cardiovascular health in all users, though it is specifically designed to help combat the negative effects of exogenous administration of androgens. Talos seeks to combat the adverse health effects of self-administered anabolic steroids, designer steroids, and prohormones with a combination of antioxidants, vitamins, and potent herbal extracts.

Ingredients:

Black Rice Extract, 25% Anthocyanins (1300mg per recommended daily dose)
It has long been known that androgens cause an adverse shift the ratios of lipoproteins; causing an increase in low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and a reduction in high-density lipoproteins (HDL). [1] This is due to an increase in postheparin plasma hepatic triglyceride lipase (HTGL) activity; HTGL is the enzyme responsible for the catabolism of HDL. [2] High LDL and low HDL levels are associated with atherosclerosis and heart disease. Anthocyanins have been shown to increase HDL and reduce LDL concentrations in humans, [3][4] which may be due to the inhibition of plasma cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP), an enzyme which transfers cholesterol from HDL cholesterol to very low density or low density lipoproteins. [4] There's also evidence that the hypolipidemic effects of anthocyanins may be due to increased CYP7A1 expression due to agonism of LXRα. [5]

"Our results suggest that anthocyanin supplementation in dyslipidemic patients has a beneficial effect on the lipoprotein profile, which includes a decrease in LDL-cholesterol and an increase in HDL-cholesterol concentrations." [4]

SAMe (400mg from 800mg S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Disulfate Tosylate)
Soon after the introduction of oral (17a-alkylated) steroids it became apparent that excessive doses or prolonged use can be deleterious to liver function, [6] and since then there have been several case studies of jaundice and liver failure secondary to oral steroid use – both self-administered [7] and in the clinical setting. [8][9] The hepatotoxic effects of oral androgens are of a primarily cholestatic nature.

S-adenosylmethionine is an endogenous methyl group donor and precursor to glutathione, which may be able to prevent androgen-induced cholestasis and liver injury. SAMe can inhibit bile acid-induced hepatocyte apoptosis, [10][11][12] downregulates expression of the inflammatory cytokine TNF-alpha, [13][14] and can reduce oxidative stress via glutathione replenishment, [15] which may also play a role in ameliorating the effects of cholestasis. [16] SAMe has been studied extensively as a safe and effective treatment for pregnancy-induced cholestasis, [17][18][19] and, in a case study, was even shown to reverse severe androgen-induced cholestasis. [20] Due to its distinct mechanism of action, it has an additive effect when used alongside UDCA/TUDCA. [10][18]

As a direct precursor to glutathione and an inhibitor of TNF-alpha and NF-Kb, the benefits associated with SAMe use are not limited to hepatoprotection. It is also in wide use as a general antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.

Ubiquinone (300mg)
Coenzyme Q10 is an essential component of the production of cellular energy. Supplementation has been shown to have a host of benefits, including lowering blood pressure, without significant side effects. [21] It can also maintain heart health by functioning as an antioxidant. By lowering the susceptibility of LDL to oxidation, it may reduce the atherosclerotic (artery-hardening) effects of LDL ("bad cholesterol"). [22][23]
"Our data support the concept that the CoQ10 level of the LDL subfractions is important in minimizing susceptibility of LDL subfractions to oxidation." [22]

Astilbin (200mg)
Anabolic steroids have been shown to increase blood pressure. [24] Androgens stimulate vascular production of 20-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (20-HETE), which induces endothelial angiotensin-converting-enzyme (ACE), leading to aldosterone secretion, vasoconstriction, and elevations in arterial blood pressure. [25] This is supported by observations of elevated aldosterone levels in steroid-using bodybuilders. [26] Astilbin is a potent, naturally-occurring ACE inhibitor. [27] ACE inhibitors reduce the production of angiotensin II, resulting in lower blood pressure and improved potassium retention and sodium excretion.

Trans-Resveratrol (200mg)
The naturally-occurring grape-derived antioxidant and phytoestrogen trans-resveratrol is believed to be cardioprotective through a number of mechanisms; amongst other things, it inhibits lipid peroxidation, induces vasorelaxation, and limits oxidative damage through the reduction of reactive oxygen species (ROS). [28]

"Resveratrol, a grape polyphenol, has shown considerable promise as a therapeutic agent in the treatment of liver ailments. Several studies have highlighted the hepatoprotective properties of resveratrol. Resveratrol has been shown to prevent hepatic damage because of free radicals and inflammatory cytokines, induce anti-oxidant enzymes and elevate glutathione content." [29]

Salicylate (175mg)
Administration of anabolic steroids or prohormones enhances platelet aggregation. [30] Salicylic acid decreases platelet aggregation by inhibiting the formation of thromboxane A2, [31] which may reduce the risk of blood clots, heart attack and stroke. [32]

B9, B6, and B12 (2mg, 60mg, 250mcg respectively)
Androgens like testosterone have been shown to increase levels of homocysteine, [33] and the self-administration of anabolic steroids can increase homocysteine levels dramatically. [34] Homocysteine damages the structure of the arteries, and hyperhomocysteinemia (high homocysteine levels) is a strong risk-factor for cardiovascular disease, blood clots, and strokes. [35] Folic acid (B9), pyridoxine (B6), and cobalamin (B12) reduce the levels of homocysteine. [36]

Astaxanthin (16mg)
Astaxanthin promotes healthy lipid metabolism as an antioxidant, [37] as a PPAR-α agonist, [38] and also by promoting expression of ATP-binding cassette transporters A1 and G1 (ABCA1/G1). [39] ABCA1 and ABCG1 mediate the efflux of cholesterol; helping to remove lipids from cells as the initial step in reverse cholesterol transport (RCT). RCT is the process by which cholesterol is shuttled back to the liver by HDL. [40]
"RCT is a pathway that transports cholesterol from extrahepatic cells and tissues to the liver and intestine for excretion. By reducing accumulation of cholesterol in the wall of arteries, RCT may prevent development of atherosclerosis. Cholesterol efflux, part of the RCT process, is a major process by which macrophages within the vessel wall secrete cholesterol outside cells." [40]

Also Krill Oil? Ive read studies that show its MUCH more effective than fish oil as far as cholesterol is concerned

I've noticed my lipid bloodwork improve faster after using orals with krill and fish oil combined than with just a bunch of fish oil. Works for me but I don't have studies.

Anyone use any of these supplements to improve triglycerides? My LDL and HDL are always OK but my triglycerides come back very high.

Why is it hard to find Methylcobalamin (the superior form of b-12) at a reasonable price?

From everything I have read, it is far superior to cyanacobalamin. Are there any reasonably priced places to find it?

in.

esp on more help to increase hdl and lower ldl. i am reading that more mono and poly fats in diet supp to help hdl?

Why is it hard to find Methylcobalamin (the superior form of b-12) at a reasonable price?

From everything I have read, it is far superior to cyanacobalamin. Are there any reasonably priced places to find it?

huh? Its pretty easy to find and isnt that expensive

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Methylcobalamin-5000mcg-Lozenges/dp/B0013OQGO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369165651&sr=8-1&keywords=jarrow+methyl+b-12+5000mcg"]Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Methylcobalamin (Methyl B12), 5000mcg, 60 Lozenges: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41azGrSpTEL.@@AMEPARAM@@41azGrSpTEL[/ame]

do I really have to specify injectable bro? :)

do I really have to specify injectable bro? :)

If Im not mistaken sublingual bioavailability is pretty good so why not take that way? Much cheaper and one less thing to pin.

To each their own I suppose

Anyone?

Does anyone use these anti-oxidants or know a lot about them? Which ones would these certainly come before/take the place of? ( other common anti oxidants )

Pyrroloquinoline (pqq)

Astaxanthin

Final Choices

Well, I decided to come back and bump this and give it some finality as to what I finally chose after quite literally dozens and dozens of hours of reading/researching etc.

Now Foods Vitamin D3 5000iu (10,000iu/d)
Now Ultra Omega 500/250 epa/dha (at least 4 a day)
Jarrow Formulas Toco-Sorb (1 a day) Tocotrienols/Vitamin E...antioxidant
Jarrow Ubiquinol QH-Absorb 100mg (1 a day) reduced(better) form of CoQ10, anti-oxidant +heart health
Now ALA 600 (at least 1 a day prob in AM) antixoidant, gda
Now NAC 600 (3-4 a day) antioxidant, liver health
Now Vitamin C (2-4g a day) antioxidant
Now Vitamin Bcomplex (1 a day)
Now Super Odorless Garlic (Garlic, Hawthorn Berry, Hawthorn Extract, Cayenne)
USP Labs Super Cissus (joints)
MD's Ultimate GDA (post workout meals + cheats)
True Nutrition ZMA-G (zinc, magnesium, b6+ gaba)
Apple Cider Vinegar (gut health, skin,alkalinization, acne)
Metamucil (fiber)
Methylcobalamin b12 (when I can find it)
Cinnamon (use in shakes + foods)

Inj Curcumin(in future)

I am focusing on health...but I also got 5 tubs of Glycofuse(cyclic dextrin)+ 5 lbs of Peptopro and 10lbs of Team Skip. Peptopro in heavy orange creamsicle and Team Skip in heavy dutch choc fudge!

This about rounds it out. As you can see my plans are 2-3g of EPA+DHA daily(not just fish oil), a serving or two of unsalted unroasted almonds daily, and 1 avocado a day!
Also...
Coconut Oil 1-2tbs/day
Red Palm Oil 1-2tbs/day
Mac Nut Oil
EVOO
Grassfed Butter
Grassfed Beef
Wild fish (salmon, cod)
Raw Milk
Spinach, Kale
(all staples as well)

The following will be a list of what I looked into. Some will undoubtedly one day be implemented but for now they did not make the cut.

Selenium (actually in the NAC supp in a small amount)
Synthergine (injectable liver protectant that would be next to add in if any problems arise using NAC, ALA, etc)
Inj. Glutathione
Inj. Resveratrol
Baby Aspirin
Grape Seed Extract
Celery Seed Extract Supports kidney health, joints, blood pressure
Sesamin
***(One Jarrow product has the above 3 all in one)
Hawthorn Berry/Extract (already have tiny amounts in Garlic supp)
Tudca
Astaxanthin
Niacin (if there are cholesterol probs. DO NOT use slow release)
Saw Palmetto
PQQ (pyrroloquinoline quinone)
Cayenne (already have a tiny amount in Garlic supp)
Stinging Nettle (root)
Nattokinase (already have blood thinning supplements like fish oil and vitE. Perhaps better choice than baby aspirin?)
Some have said that it is not a thinner, but a blood clearing agent preventing clots.
Red yeast Rice (not as effective of RYR several years ago due to FDA)
Green Tea Extract
Idebenone
Humic Acid
Fulvic Acid
Probiotics
Prebiotics
DHEA
Greens formula
Calcium
Evening Primrose Oil
Vitamin A

Last edited:
Just a small update...

Yes, I can be OCD, but my guess is many of us in this endeavor are.
So this is a bit ironic as Im sure Kaladryn rocks back in his chair with a smile on his face-thinking "i told ya so." (fish oil hoopla and vitamin c possibly not being good at high doses)

Fish Oil: While I am not going to stop taking them at this point, it may be wiser to take the 2-3g recommended dose of epa+dha rather than overdo it with 4-5g. Remember here, we are talking about the total epa and dha. It also may be wise to aim towards getting as much epa as possible in comparison to dha.

Vitamin C: May become a pro oxidant at highlevels..even 1g perhaps. For the last couple year I have subscribed to the theory of using anti oxidants around the workout and some research now shows it to be counter productive. Im planning on down sizing to 500mg pills and considering taking them along with a low dosed b complex 3-4x throughout the day with meals. Looking at perhaps 2g total daily of C. For low dosed b vitamin, the co-factor form is preferred andi would suggest Jarrow B-right.

Curcumin: probably scrapping the injectable idea and going with BCM-95 or Theracurmin which are much more bio available versions.

Toco-Sorb is a great tocotrienol supplement, but I think it may be wiser to go full spectrum with all 8 vitamin E isomers. Low alpha tocopherol, high gamma tocopherol and a good amount of tocotrienols. I suggest Jarrow FamilE. Red palm oil will take care of the rest.

Ubiquinol I need to take from 100mg to atleast 2-300mg. If money was no issue Id probably opt for 400.

Ill likely drop super cissus since I dont feel a world of difference in my joints.

Since my last post I added Astaxanthin. Im hot on the tail or grape seed extract, green tea extract, lycopene, ip6, and possible selenium as POSSIBLE worthy additions.

Really appreciate this thread K9. Do you know you can get methyl b12 over at dats forum?

My primary objective with supplementation right now is to find a 'cure' for the dam low back pumps I get from any AAS. I'm experimenting with high dose taurine and topical magnesium.

Also, are there risks associated with baby aspirin use?

I got a teeter to do inversions due to low back pumps. Seems to help a bit but could be the overall feeling of relieving tension in the area.

How is your bp? Taking any ai's?

3-6 tsp of extra virgin olive oil

omega 3 fish oil

81 mg aspirin

potassium 50 mg

Vit D3 4000

Vit C 1500

Vit E 400 x twice daily

L Citrulline Malate 4000mg usually four days a week

Tadalafil 10mg three days a week (don't mix w/citrulline)

Knight9 your list is great for the steak and potato body builder.

if you eat even a small amount (I juice due to ibs)
Tomatoes,carrot, celery, kale, blueberry, pineapple, chard, garlic, ginger ACV, sauerkraut..and seaweed ( Ubiquinol and other things) your covered in a slower adsorption way. Id add fish oil unless all you eat is fstt fish.

this leaves room for some helpful herbs and botanicals like
reservatrol, curcumin , milkthisle. And such

Knight9 your list is great for the steak and potato body builder.

if you eat even a small amount (I juice due to ibs)
Tomatoes,carrot, celery, kale, blueberry, pineapple, chard, garlic, ginger ACV, sauerkraut..and seaweed ( Ubiquinol and other things) your covered in a slower adsorption way. Id add fish oil unless all you eat is fstt fish.

this leaves room for some helpful herbs and botanicals like
reservatrol, curcumin , milkthisle. And such

Whats covered? Fiber and B vitamins?

Really appreciate this thread K9. Do you know you can get methyl b12 over at dats forum?

My primary objective with supplementation right now is to find a 'cure' for the dam low back pumps I get from any AAS. I'm experimenting with high dose taurine and topical magnesium.

Also, are there risks associated with baby aspirin use?

No problem! Thanks for that info-I will check it out!

A little risk with baby aspirin for some, but the blood thinning and anti coagulant effect likely far outweigh the negative for most, at least while on cycle.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear