advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Thinking Bodybuilder's Toolbox for health.(bp,cholesterol,heart,kidney,liver)

FYI the dose of Siliphos (Silymarin Lyposome) used in rats was 200 mg/kg and the human study referenced in that article was 13g/day divided into 3 doses, which is obviously a much higher dose than forum Broscience has been recommending with Milk Thistle. I think it would probably be prudent to look into this more before relying on the usual PCT dose protocols of Milk Thistle to heal your liver.

The Thinking Bodybuilder's Toolbox for health.(bp,cholesterol,heart,kidney,live

Was just trying to read up on milk thistle and read it can mimic the effects of estrogen? This was web MD so I am not saying I'm convinced.

N-acetyl-cysteine

Kal, what are thoughts on this compound for improving liver values and overall liver health?

Kal, what are thoughts on this compound for improving liver values and overall liver health?

My doctor, who is very respected on things like this, DOES like milk thistle, so I would recommend it. Glucuronic acid might be the best supplement for liver health in regards to bodybuilding. However I think the best thing is make sure you have longish periods of time where the liver has a chance to repair itself, that is, you remove all things that could stress it and let it heal, I wouldn't even take liver protectants during this period.

If I had to pick brand names, it would be Synthergine and Liver Armor.

The Thinking Bodybuilder's Toolbox for health.(bp,cholesterol,heart,kidney,live

Kal I thought you said milk thistle had low bio availability?

Where do I get the last thing you mentioned? I also take Now NAC everyday.

Great thread. What brand are you guys using for fish oil?

I used to have vitamin food stores in San Diego in the early '70's. I have worked out and taken supps for a long time. My son is a bone doctor and i'm a licensed health professional. The very best Omega 3's I know of and use come froma internet company called Pure Encapsulations. They sell to licensed people such as accupuncturists, dentists, chiro's, nurses - who then reatil to their customers. I buy for my own use at teh wholesale price level. The fish oil supps are way more potent and as clean as this Dr. Sears guy. The one I'm taking has 750 mg of EPA in one capsule. That's about 2x the Dr. Sears product and way less expensive. Any of you with some kind of license or your partner has one, check them out. Their products are over the top.

I take garlic for bp but not sure what to take for cholesterol???
I have used nician but not a fan. Any other recommendations??

Thanks

Cholerest SC from Metagenics.com is great for lipid level balance. I use that along with several liver formulas, ala, Pure Encapsulaions Fish oil, and olive oil, walnuts, and coconut oil.

I think I will add Garlic Extract to my regimen.
Still researching celery seed extract and grape seed extract to determine if they are worthy. Anyone with opinions?

I think I will add Garlic Extract to my regimen.
Still researching celery seed extract and grape seed extract to determine if they are worthy. Anyone with opinions?

celery seed is good for bp from what i know;)

Anyone using Tocotrienols?

Wondering if anyone is using them. They sound promising.

With research, I have seemingly opted to not include apple cider vinegar in.a daily regimen, nor will I use stinging nettle root.

I will however, probably implement Saw Palmetto, Grape Seed Extract, and some form of garlic supplementation.

I looked into celery seed, hawthorne berry, hawthorne extract, and cayenne and for me, I dont think they are necessary at this time.

Coq10 OR ubiquinol is still being deliberated about importance and price.

Niacin will probably be left out at this point but looking for suggestions on joint formulas.

My final health regimen will be heavily based on anti-oxidants.(NAC,ALA,VIT C, VIT E etc)

Probably also going to rely on bulk cinnamon and not caps. Several tsp a day.

Still welcoming input everyone!

You guys that supplement a lot with it.. do you buy bulk cinnamon by the pound?

You guys that supplement a lot with it.. do you buy bulk cinnamon by the pound?

Are you looking at it for it's insulinogenic effect? I have bought bulk cinnamon sticks as when ground they add far more flavor but that's my sole use for them.

Yes, the taste is a bonus...but its health effects are more what I am after.

I pretty much take everything you take but instead of saw palmetto I take beta sitosterol. It's a 100 times more potent that saw palmetto and if you take **broken link removed** you get other vitamins and minerals too that make sense to take when you're bodybuilding.

I use the Vitamin Shoppe brand of Omega 3s.

**broken link removed**

600 EPA / 240 DHA.

Hope it is ok quality wise. I will order some from Carlson soon though.

I also take :

No flush niacin

baby aspirin

Flax seed oil capsules

Liv 52 (US version - not sure what the difference is in it and the original)

Saw Palmetto

Advanced Cholesterol Formula (**broken link removed** probably a waste of money though... what do you think?)

And another liver support from a non-sponsor here (that I get free which means it is probably crap judging from the rep this person has)

Reading this I see I need to add in NAC and Red Yeast. It's great to find threads like this and learn something new.
Green Tea Extract

Great idea for a thread!

Health conscious things to do/keep in mind for bodybuilders:

Cardio:
Cardio 4-5x per week, 20-30 mins on elliptical or stairmaster, or something else easy on the knees and joints. Maybe a brisk walk with your dog in the morning around the block for 30 mins. Doesn't matter if you're an ecto and you are scared of burning calories or burning muscle, make up for it by eating more. Doesn't matter if you can get "cut" without cardio, do it for your health

BP: Monitor Blood Pressure Regularly. Be aware of the timing on readings because certain times have different readings ie right after exercise, right after a large high sodium meal, etc. If on the higher side, might want to utilize baby aspirins at 81mg. But it won't do jack shit if you're at something like 160/100 lmao, will need BP meds for that or a reassessment of your cycle/compounds.

Bloodwork: Get bloodwork done, at least every 3-6 months. Optimally you would do it before, during, and after a cycle. Go to privatemdlabs.com if you want a private blood panel done.

Blood Donations/Phlebotomy: Donate blood while off cycle right after a cruise and right before blasting again. Ideally during this period because the hormones other than cruise doses of test are out of your system. Ethically, it's wrong to donate while on cycle because some random old person on the verge of death can be getting your juiced up tren blood. So, morally, if you are in the middle of a cycle you should go to a doc rather than the bloodbank and get a phlebotomy done.

Fruit/Veggie: Listen to your mom and eat your fruits and veggies. Try a variety, but my staple in my fruit diet is fresh pineapple i cut myself, because it has liver detoxifying properties and anti-inflammatory properties. My surgeon once told me that you need to buy fresh pineapple because the canned ones dont provide the same benefit.

Meats: If you have the money, opt for organic and grass fed meats and free-range cagefree eggs/chicken, raw grass fed milk (can get expensive quick though which is why many cant do this). Won't make you grow any bigger or faster but it will have a positive impact on your bloodwork if it is bad... Keep the red meat consumption down and eat more fish and chicken. Go to a fish market or asian grocery store or something instead of eating the same salmon/canned tuna/tilapia. Variety is the spice of life! Even Evan Centopani says he does this, and he is one of the most health conscious, intelligent pros ever. If you are in a culturally diverse area, try new foods from different cultures, spice up your life, it might even make for an interesting date night. lots of interesting foods out there from different cultures

Fluids: stay hydrated with a lot of water, especially if you are on tren to help flush out the metabolites. Ideally, you should just drink a shitload of tea. Don't go buying commercial tea, if you want to ahve some fun with this, go to a chinese herb shop and try all the teas/smell them. There are a ton of different kinds and a lot of them have plentiful health benefits and different tastes. Personally my favorite is jasmine green tea because it has a very flowery taste. Pure cranberry juice not from concentrate is great to help flush your body

Massage Therapy/Foam Rolling: Helps promote fascia stretching, loosens up muscle, accelerates recovery, helps prevent scar tissue formation, keeps muscles from knotting, helps promote better nutrient/oxygen/blood delivery in the massaged areas, etc

I have lots more to add to this, lots more to add on everything above and also other things, esp my take on roids and which ones are especially bad and not worth running, and which ones are good with minimal damage, things to do for joint/tendon health etc maybe will add later

Cardio #1 for longevity, health promotion.. Specifically high intensity i.e. sprinting to increase IGF, neurotrophins (BDNF, NGF)

Damn, this mega dosing mindset that more is better runs counter to longevity and health promotion.. If that is the desired outcome..

I'd shitcan the high dose Vit C and E, they both can be pro-oxidants at levels that many of you are using, and their antioxidant role inhibits the function of ROS in the activation of growth promoters in response to resistance exercise as well as suppress the endogenous enzyme antioxidant systems, SOD, Catalase, and Glutathione.

Oxidative stress is not always a bad thing, "ROS act as signals in exercise because decreasing their formation prevents activation of important signaling pathways that cause useful adaptations in cells. Because these signals result in an upregulation of powerful antioxidant enzymes, exercise itself can be considered an antioxidant. We have found that interfering with free radical metabolism with antioxidants may hamper useful adaptations to training."

example:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
Antioxidants prevent health-promoti... [Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
**broken link removed**
Response and adaptation of skeletal muscle to e... [Front Biosci. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

on and on...

be careful with red yeast rice as well, the active compound is lovastatin a potent statin drug wtih it's own side effects, not to mention many of the products contain variable amount of active compound..

and combining high dose omega 3s, aspirin, and/or garlic, ginger, ginkgo, and many others not good either... thinning your blood too much is not a good thing either....think cardiovascular accident (stroke) in the presence of unregulated sustained high blood pressure...

if your lab work is/are within normal limits as well as your BP, Heart Rate etc. are WNL then some of that stuff is not needed...comes down to your goals, short term cycle, long term health/longevity and what you supplement with..

Can you prove your claims on C and E becoming pro-oxidants?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
PenguinPiss
NapsGear