over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The freaks training split !

Paulo,

As a follow-up question... since you workout so much, have you experimented with training several times in day?

For example, instead of a 2-hour workout, how about a morning workout of 1 hour, and an evening workout of 1 hour?

Rich Piana said he used to train 2-3 hours a day, but he would split that into 2 or 3 sessions daily.

Have you tried that? If so, do you feel there's any advantage in splitting it up vs. just staying for 2-3 hours in a single workout?

Thanks.

I've always got the best results with my physique doing the 3 on 1 off routine.

Hi Paulo.

Thanks for sharing the split.

Based on your split, it seems that you feel like frequency is very important. Do you find you grow best training each muscle each 3-4 days, vs once every 7 days?

Not many pros that I'm aware of train each muscle group each 3-4 days.... but I can see where that would be beneficial if you can handle it.

Have you tried the modern popular split, that many pros follow, where you just hit a muscle group once every 7 days? Such as...

1) Chest

2) Back

3) Shoulders

4) Arms

5) Quads

6) Hams

Thanks

No I havent tried it and not even when I first started trainin. Always at least 2 bodyparts. And really pros dnt train more than 1 bodypart a day? Hard to believe but I woudnt know to be honest. U think they would want to take advantage of being able to recover using aas and gh etc. And now with Intra shakes which help a lot also. I've been making great gains since using this split and wil continue to do so.

Paulo,

As a follow-up question... since you workout so much, have you experimented with training several times in day?

For example, instead of a 2-hour workout, how about a morning workout of 1 hour, and an evening workout of 1 hour?

Rich Piana said he used to train 2-3 hours a day, but he would split that into 2 or 3 sessions daily.

Have you tried that? If so, do you feel there's any advantage in splitting it up vs. just staying for 2-3 hours in a single workout?

Thanks.

Wel first off I dont think I train that much. I know guys train 6-7 days a wk. only take a day off Whn they feel they need too. And no haven't tried that split. . I'm sure there can be advantages but also cons at the same time. I myself just like 1 session and 2 hours is perfect.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a cycle for you look like? I saw you now used 6iu pharm GH but what other compounds do you like?

I am going to try you training routine starting today. I always feel like i am missing out when only training everything once a week. And there are def pro's that train like this lol. First that comes to mind is Juan Diesel....he also trains every muscle group twice a week.

Wel first off I dont think I train that much. I know guys train 6-7 days a wk. only take a day off Whn they feel they need too. And no haven't tried that split. . I'm sure there can be advantages but also cons at the same time. I myself just like 1 session and 2 hours is perfect.

Hell yea you tell them Paulo, that overtraining shit is bullshit, these guys with 30min workout sessions are just being lazy. I like your approach to training. Now how is the training split during pre contest? Does it change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My coach has me doing this exact split. I have found that the trick to hitting a muscle twice a week is not mashing it but just taking one set to true failure with a few working warm up sets. Is this how your doing it?

CG

When training every bodypart twice a week , I train
the first sessions heavy with mostly free weights,
and the second session with mostly machines and high reps.

:love:

Ok if no one else is going to, I will. What is your favorite off season supper supplement cycle and what do you like for pre-contest?

The training split/routine he's talking about is by far the best I've ever done and can easily hit every part twice a week with plenty of time for full recovery. Ive done the 5 on 1 off, 4 on 1 off but honestly the 3 on 1 off has done wonders.

Phil Hernon had his clients doing the 3 on 1 off split too. Although I no longer work with him or follow his diet principles, I stick to his training routine, changing up some of the exercises and adding more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good change up for me. I have been doing
Chest, focusing on not involving the tries to much.
Back using straps to reduce bies.
Legs.
Rest.
Tries, front and side delts.
Bies, rear delts, and traps.
Rest.
I use a variety of drop sets best pause ect.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I'm kind of a "training split nerd". I always like to know what the top guys are doing (or have done). I like analyzing and dissecting training splits.... and what I've come to realize is that there probably is no "perfect" split. Every split has pros and cons, and various trade-offs you have to contend with. Even if you could somehow develop the scientifically optimum workout routine, it would likely interfere with your life, and be sub-optimal as far as how your time is spent throughout the day.

The fact is, lots of pros have achieved amazing results on a variety of splits, volumes, and intensities. What I've noticed is that training philosophies tend to shift with the times... right now what is popular is training bodyparts once a week, for under 1 hour per session. Nearly everyone is focused on blasting drugs, hammering food, trying to blast bodyparts with intense, brief workouts... and avoid the dreaded "over-training".

The 3-on 1-off split was what Lee Haney swore by, and he'd often train twice a day. In the 1980's, many other top pros in the 80s used a similar split of 3 days on, 1 day off.

Lee Haney's split:
Day 1 AM: Chest Day 1 PM: Arms
Day 2 AM: Quads Day 2 PM: Hams and Calves
Day 3 AM: Back Day 3 PM Shoulders
Day 4: Off
(repeat)

Using the 3-on, 1-off approach, you are hitting each bodypart every 4 days..... which ironically, is the same frequency that Ronnie Coleman used, albeit in a different format

Ronnie used a basic 4-way split, that he followed 6 days a week. Using this split, you are also hitting each bodypart every 4 days, and sometimes every 5 days due to the 7th day off.

Day 1: Chest and triceps
Day 2: Back and biceps
Day 3: Shoulders and traps
Day 4: Legs
Day 5: (repeat day 1)

Last edited:
Paulo,

What are your thoughts on heavy deadlifting?

Deadlifts are the one exercise that are extremely fatiguing to me, and seem to hamper my recovery on everything else. They also don't seem to fit well into any particular day and are hard to program in.

--Do you do them?
--If so, do you focus on lifting heavy, or for high reps?
--Do you feel they are necessary if you are doing stiff-legged deadlift for hamstrings?

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking, what does a cycle for you look like? I saw you now used 6iu pharm GH but what other compounds do you like?

I am going to try you training routine starting today. I always feel like i am missing out when only training everything once a week. And there are def pro's that train like this lol. First that comes to mind is Juan Diesel....he also trains every muscle group twice a week.

Offseason is vey basic. Test eq / test deca or npp. Don't use orals offseason. There good but I don't find I need them and the sides aren't worth it for me. It's about quality of life and eating food mainly on offseason. A lot of orals is water weight which really isn't a bad thing cause we need come water but it can cause sides like high bp, and lack of appetite etc. I wanna feel good in offseason and be able to eat cause I think that's how u put on real muscle tissue.

Paulo,

What are your thoughts on heavy deadlifting?

Deadlifts are the one exercise that are extremely fatiguing to me, and seem to hamper my recovery on everything else. They also don't seem to fit well into any particular day and are hard to program in.

--Do you do them?

--If so, do you focus on lifting heavy, or for high reps?

--Do you feel they are necessary if you are doing stiff-legged deadlift for hamstrings?

Thanks

Deads Are a good overall movement but your right it's pretty taxing on the system. I wouldn't do em too often. I mainly do rack deads so I can focus more on my back and if your doin stiffs already I don't think u need too.

Ya I'm sure your right JM I guess only 5 years trainin it hasn't caught up to me. But main point I was making was being able to swithchin it up training twice a wk anyways. One day start incline movement and 2 nd day flat. Or u could even first day incline bb and 2nd day incline hammer or db whatever u prefer. Being able to switch up exercises twice a wk I find helps a lot. And Hope your doing well brotha.!

5 years - AMAZING! Keep it up!!!

JM

Jay cutler and Ramy style!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
crankyfranky28
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner