over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbilical hernia.

ericraven2003

Registered
Looks like I have started getting one of these in my belly button. Going to dr Friday. Anyone had this and had the surgery to resolve it? Outcome?

Looks like I have started getting one of these in my belly button. Going to dr Friday. Anyone had this and had the surgery to resolve it? Outcome?
I had an inguinal hernia and still recovering from surgery. I'm 5 weeks recovering and still not aloud to do anything, but walk. I tried lifting last week and it was the dumbest thing I could have done. I was in alot of pain and still have some. Just listen to your doctor. Worse part was, my bals didn't move for 5 days. I even tried eating pizza lol.
Hoping I can lift next Wednesday after I see the doctor. Basically got to start all over and go extremely light weight

I had umbilical hernia, had it fixed a few years ago, have about a 2" scar above my belly button. I would get pain and discomfort from time to time. Chances of strangulation are minimal but its definitely an eye sore. I had trouble getting out of bed for the first few days and couldn't stand up straight. Didn't stop me from shoveling snow on my deck, also hung a 55" flat screen TV within first week. Started running on an elliptical after the first week. Dr cleared me for all activities after second, said I couldn't do any damage to the repair at that point. There was some discomfort still and workouts were self limiting based on pain threshold but I was back in the gym the second my dr cleared me.

I've been living with mine for well over 20 years.

Same. Mine isnt umbilical, but to be honest it is so small I only felt it for a very small period of time and I forgot I even had it.

I suppose they technically dont heal, but sometimes they lessen to a point to where you dont notice them anymore.

I wouldnt worry about the surgery if you are. Its very routine.

I had umbilical hernia, had it fixed a few years ago, have about a 2" scar above my belly button. I would get pain and discomfort from time to time. Chances of strangulation are minimal but its definitely an eye sore. I had trouble getting out of bed for the first few days and couldn't stand up straight. Didn't stop me from shoveling snow on my deck, also hung a 55" flat screen TV within first week. Started running on an elliptical after the first week. Dr cleared me for all activities after second, said I couldn't do any damage to the repair at that point. There was some discomfort still and workouts were self limiting based on pain threshold but I was back in the gym the second my dr cleared me.
I had mine done along with 2 inguinal hernias, all at the same time. The inguinal hernias have been good. The umbilical I had lived with for about 20 years before getting it fixed. if you dont fix them ,most keep slowly getting bigger each year.

About 6 months after surgery, I blew my umbilical hernia out again doing dead lifts. The surgeon will tell you that its stronger than before because of the mesh, but that was bullshit in my case. Now, about 15 years later I am still living with it. I doubt I will fix it again.

I had an umbilical and Diastasis recti repair done about 2 years ago. It was a shoudice technique with no mesh. Been holding up and looks pretty good.

Recovery was much faster than laparoscopic with mesh. If at some point it fails, I will probably do laparoscopic with mesh and just bite the bullet with the longer recovery.

I had an umbilical and Diastasis recti repair done about 2 years ago. It was a shoudice technique with no mesh. Been holding up and looks pretty good.

Recovery was much faster than laparoscopic with mesh. If at some point it fails, I will probably do laparoscopic with mesh and just bite the bullet with the longer recovery.
How is the scar with that? The diastasis runs a long way. Mine seems to be from the belly button all the way up to my ribs almost. Does an incision run the entire length?

How is the scar with that? The diastasis runs a long way. Mine seems to be from the belly button all the way up to my ribs almost. Does an incision run the entire length?

No scar fortunately. He was able to go in through the belly button and stitch from there. Mine wasn't large but now I have small bump (almost like the sutchers under the skin or something). It looks better now though cosmetically. When he got in there I had 3 small hernias. He decided to not use mesh because he said the mesh would be stronger than the surrounding tissue holding it which could potentially cause a tear where it would have been stitched in.

About 6 months after surgery, I blew my umbilical hernia out again doing dead lifts. The surgeon will tell you that its stronger than before because of the mesh, but that was bullshit in my case.
That sucks. The believe the mesh is supposed to kind of fuse into the tissue, shouldnt fail but at the same time, sometimes the body can reject the mesh. Not sure if you've seen the TV commercials about the lawsuits because of certain type of mesh they used to use that led to complications...mine was fixed after that. Moat I've deadlifted since is 500lbs and I strap a belt on tight. Think mine was initially caused from steroid bloat along with squatting or deadlifting heavy. Mine was also slowly getting bigger, really turned my wife off. Id fix it again if it came back.

I have one also. It’s above my belly button and has gotten bigger in the past year. I don’t know when I will get it fixed.

That sucks. The believe the mesh is supposed to kind of fuse into the tissue, shouldnt fail but at the same time, sometimes the body can reject the mesh. Not sure if you've seen the TV commercials about the lawsuits because of certain type of mesh they used to use that led to complications...mine was fixed after that. Moat I've deadlifted since is 500lbs and I strap a belt on tight. Think mine was initially caused from steroid bloat along with squatting or deadlifting heavy. Mine was also slowly getting bigger, really turned my wife off. Id fix it again if it came back.
After mine failing, I lost faith in it getting fixed. Statistically I think hernia surgery repairs have a much higher failure rate than original fix. Now with my heart failure both me and my doctors feel its best to avoid all surgery that isn't essential. If it becomes a serious problem ill have to get it done. It's still relatively small and really mostly just cosmetic at this point.

I had one repaired a few years ago...had it for probably 10 years. Only got it fixed because I'd met my deductible that year and the surgery was free. Other than cosmetics, it wasn't an issue. I was concerned, however, that it could become one eventually. I'd deadlift and pop it back in again and go about my day. Post-surgery, I stayed away from lifting for about 2 weeks and then slowly did some very light lifting. After 6 weeks, I started back to normal. Good time to deload, stretch, and heal. The physicians assistant post op went to my gym and she said most people start getting back at it around 6-8 weeks.

Thanks guys. My regular doc confirmed what it was. Now waiting for an apt with surgeon.

I've had this surgery done too. Mine was done with three small incisions that left essentially no scarring. They inserted a piece of mesh to strengthen the repair. Several years later of heavy lifting and I've not seen any issues. The recovery kind of sucked not being able to do much or lift weights, but once you get out 8 weeks or so it is smooth sailing in my experience.

I've had this surgery done too. Mine was done with three small incisions that left essentially no scarring. They inserted a piece of mesh to strengthen the repair. Several years later of heavy lifting and I've not seen any issues. The recovery kind of sucked not being able to do much or lift weights, but once you get out 8 weeks or so it is smooth sailing in my experience.
Dont know what I did wrong, but mine tore out again. Mine tore about 6 months after surgery too.

Dont know what I did wrong, but mine tore out again. Mine tore about 6 months after surgery too.

My doctor told me taking it easy through recovery would make or break me when it came to long term success. The muscle fibers actually attach themselves to that mesh material and create a more solid repair. Going after physical activities too soon can weaken those attachments and make a future failure far more likely.

Mine is several years behind me now. I feel completely comfortable with the repairs so far. That's not to say I couldn't have future issues, but so far, so good.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
crankyfranky28
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131