over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Umbilical hernia.

My doctor told me taking it easy through recovery would make or break me when it came to long term success. The muscle fibers actually attach themselves to that mesh material and create a more solid repair. Going after physical activities too soon can weaken those attachments and make a future failure far more likely.

Mine is several years behind me now. I feel completely comfortable with the repairs so far. That's not to say I couldn't have future issues, but so far, so good.
Yeah, i took it easy for about 3 months. No dead lifts, squats, bentover rows, etc for 3 months. No weights at all for 1 month. Light on everything. When I started back on exercises that would put pressure on the area, I started out with a weight I could do at least 20 reps with. Pretty sure i did everything right. A whole 6 months later it tore. The surgeon must not have done a good job on mine. My two inguinal hernias I had fixed didnt blow out though and he did all 3 at the same time.

We just have to realize that there are some things that are out of our control.

There's a doctor out of Ohio that a few open Olympia competitors have gone too. He advertises as having patients back in the gym within 4 days of the surgery.
It makes me wonder if you can go back to the gym sooner than the conservative 4-6 weeks most doctors quote and that the aforementioned doctor has just realized this rather than a special technique.

I'll be joining the umbilical hernia surgical repair club (lol) so I'm being optimistic that I'll be able to go back in half the time they tell you normally...
Good luck with yours OP

I had the mesh done, didn’t take it easy enough after surgery and 4 weeks later it was there again and had to get another surgery.

I had the mesh done, didn’t take it easy enough after surgery and 4 weeks later it was there again and had to get another surgery.
How did the revision surgery go? I think getting one repaired is harder to do than the original surgery.

How did the revision surgery go? I think getting one repaired is harder to do than the original surgery.

much better than the first one but that’s because they didn’t do another mesh, they just stitched everything together. That was almost two years ago and no recurrence. Mesh was more painful recovery too.

Had mine done. No biggie.
Same here. I had a surgeon who’s son was a competitive bodybuilder so he understood that I didn’t want a scar and he knew all about roids and HGH. I was doing cardio 3 days post surgery and lifting heavy 9 days post surgery. He repaired 4 hernias I had in the umbilical region. He made me promise to not lift weights for 30 days but I couldn’t wait but 9 days.

much better than the first one but that’s because they didn’t do another mesh, they just stitched everything together. That was almost two years ago and no recurrence. Mesh was more painful recovery too.
Thanks for the information. i will keep that in mind if mine gets worse and I want to get it repaired. I will see about having done what you did. The mesh was lousy for me. Maybe you and I were exceptions to the rule.

Same here. I had a surgeon who’s son was a competitive bodybuilder so he understood that I didn’t want a scar and he knew all about roids and HGH. I was doing cardio 3 days post surgery and lifting heavy 9 days post surgery. He repaired 4 hernias I had in the umbilical region. He made me promise to not lift weights for 30 days but I couldn’t wait but 9 days.
Did you get mesh? I had it and my hernia repair tore easily.

I had mine repaired about two years ago. No mesh, just put it back in and stitches me up. About 6 months ago it started coming back. On the fence about getting it done again. This time it’s more minor. I’ll likely monitor and only have surgery again if it gets to a point where it bothers me too much. Not there yet. Really sucks to have gone through the whole thing only to have it come back though.

I had mine repaired about two years ago. No mesh, just put it back in and stitches me up. About 6 months ago it started coming back. On the fence about getting it done again. This time it’s more minor. I’ll likely monitor and only have surgery again if it gets to a point where it bothers me too much. Not there yet. Really sucks to have gone through the whole thing only to have it come back though.
I am in the same boat. Mine blew out about 6 months after surgery and ive had it now for about another 16 years. It is gradually year after year growing larger. I saw a surgeon and she said mine was small. It doesnt feel small.

Did you get mesh? I had it and my hernia repair tore easily.
No. I told him I wanted him to use the smallest gauge sutures, no mesh, and I couldn’t have a scar because I’m competing in bodybuilding. He was so professional. You can’t tell I ever had a hernia.

I have mesh in mine. Been about 10 years. Looked like a thumb coming out of my belly before the surgery. Hated that fuckin thing.

I have mesh in mine. Been about 10 years. Looked like a thumb coming out of my belly before the surgery. Hated that fuckin thing.
Wish mine had held up.

Had 2 surgeries last year and nearly died, the first time my body rejected the mesh, so they had to take it out and put a biological mesh in. Then I got MRSA during the 2nd surgery/hospital stay. My stomach will never be right, I would think long and hard about having surgery, it seems hit or miss.

I had mine done along with 2 inguinal hernias, all at the same time. The inguinal hernias have been good. The umbilical I had lived with for about 20 years before getting it fixed. if you dont fix them ,most keep slowly getting bigger each year.

About 6 months after surgery, I blew my umbilical hernia out again doing dead lifts. The surgeon will tell you that its stronger than before because of the mesh, but that was bullshit in my case. Now, about 15 years later I am still living with it. I doubt I will fix it again.
Wow, once I had my umbilical hernia fixed, I threw deadlifts out the arsenal.

Wow, once I had my umbilical hernia fixed, I threw deadlifts out the arsenal.

I have a partial, and dropped deads and heavy squats out last year for good.
Had my doc look at it and said it's OK, no need for surgery and I want to keep it that way.

I had an umbilical hernia fixed in 2009. Went to see the doc b/c my wife made me :)....Oh, and it was sore, etc. He was concerned about strangulation (or incarceration; I don't remember) but scheduled the surgery for a few days after my initial visit. That was right around Labor Day; I was cleared to lift sometime in Dec (or like the first of the year; I think I took it easy for about 3 months at his direction). I promised the old lady I would follow his direction and not do something stupid. And I did follow his orders. Thankfully, I haven't had any issues since (knock on wood) and the incision(s) were actually done inside my belly button, so you can't see anything noticeable. Competed June 2010; that time off seemed to help.

-s

What causes these embilical hernias? What can you do to prevent hernias in general?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear