over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Belt squats

Dens228

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
As I get older I've started paying for my sports career, mainly my joints. A discovered many years old fractured vertebrae in my neck ended my squatting and pushed me to leg press as my primary leg movement. The trouble with that is even slowing the negative, or adding a pause at the bottom, or constant tension I have to use a pretty fair amount of weight which I'm starting to feel more in my knees no matter what the foot placement. It's not bad........yet.

I was thinking of giving belt squats a go mainly because I'd be using a lot less weight.

Has anyone used belt squats and a main or one of their main exercises? I train at home so I'd be purchasing one if I go that route making it hard to try before I buy.

I've used them for years. Both a cable/plate loaded (one of Westside's original units) as well as a leverage unit I have at home. I mainly squat but belt squat has been a great way to add relevant volume with carryover but not loading posterior chain. Rogue Rhino is nice. I have a copy of the Sorinex J Squat at home. Edge fitness makes some as does I think Titan and others.

Also leverage units are about 90-95% of cable driven so a great home option and not giving up much.

I love belt squats! Just fabricated a DIY version of Sorinex’s J*Squat attachment. Have you ever used Kabuki’s Transformer bar? It has been a game changer for me doing squats. It’s gotta hefty price tag, but it’s definitely worth it!

My quad workouts consist of belt squats, squats using the Kabuki transformer bar, leg extensions, and hacks.

Cage

I was also looking at some of the plate loaded leverage squat machines but it seems they may put a lot of pressure on the knees too.

I wish I could figure out a way to make belt squats more comfortable. At lighter weight I'm fine but when I start adding plates the downward pull of the belt creates a pain in my groin and hips. Ive tried putting my knee sleeve or a towel between myself and the belt but it still painful. maybe my set up is wrong idk.

My gym has a pit shark and I love it! Anything spinal loading is a no go for me so this is great.
Pit shark is greattt, love using it.

As I get older I've started paying for my sports career, mainly my joints. A discovered many years old fractured vertebrae in my neck ended my squatting and pushed me to leg press as my primary leg movement. The trouble with that is even slowing the negative, or adding a pause at the bottom, or constant tension I have to use a pretty fair amount of weight which I'm starting to feel more in my knees no matter what the foot placement. It's not bad........yet.

I was thinking of giving belt squats a go mainly because I'd be using a lot less weight.

Has anyone used belt squats and a main or one of their main exercises? I train at home so I'd be purchasing one if I go that route making it hard to try before I buy.
As a former football player, i feel you dude. Honestly, you just gotta find whats comfortable.
I have even had problems finding belt squats that "feel good" for me. Question, how do hacks feel? And is it mostly your knees right now? Like a "sheering" sensation?

I wish I could figure out a way to make belt squats more comfortable. At lighter weight I'm fine but when I start adding plates the downward pull of the belt creates a pain in my groin and hips. Ive tried putting my knee sleeve or a towel between myself and the belt but it still painful. maybe my set up is wrong idk.
Get yourself a SPUD belt....and put it over your regular belt....much more comfortable at high weight. Wrap your knees if you have to,

Pit shark is greattt, love using it.

As a former football player, i feel you dude. Honestly, you just gotta find whats comfortable.
I have even had problems finding belt squats that "feel good" for me. Question, how do hacks feel? And is it mostly your knees right now? Like a "sheering" sensation?
Hacks are a no go with any decent weight. It feels mainly like stress on the patella tendons.

I have the Bells of Steel belt squat in my home gym. Highly recommend it. Easy to assemble, easy to move. You can change how you load the plates. My gym has a pit shark but the belt has a permanent fold or crease in it that digs into the side of my hip no matter where I leave the belt.

I have the Bells of Steel belt squat in my home gym. Highly recommend it. Easy to assemble, easy to move. You can change how you load the plates. My gym has a pit shark but the belt has a permanent fold or crease in it that digs into the side of my hip no matter where I leave the belt.
Get your own belt. SPUD. I've never looked back.Those crap belts in the gym used to dig into me as well..pinching etc.

I was also looking at some of the plate loaded leverage squat machines but it seems they may put a lot of pressure on the knees too.
I don’t notice any whatsoever on the one from Titan. I picked it up this year and stuck it in the corner of my home gym.

My only issue with this machine is it’s not ideal for tall people. I’m gonna make something to keep the shoulder pads elevated for starting out, and finishing. My wife is 5’4” and has zero issues. I’m 6’2” and it’s a lil low. But there’s work arounds for that!

Cage

I was getting that too. You may be too upright and shooting the knees out too much. I was doing that and felt like the same discomfort i get from sumo deadlifts. Then I tried "screwing" my feet into the platform while deliberately hinging hips back. Don't do this to the degree that your are getting inward knee valgus or doing a good morning though. This will take the extra stress off your groin.

This ^^^. Automatically puts your body in a "safe"/natural position. I've had one for about 3-4 years. Takes all the spinal loading away which I think is huge for the older lifter and/or those who are trying to minimize training mileage.

Also works great for stiff legged DL's. Take away the load from the upper body and puts it on the hips. Almost a traction-like feeling for your lower spine.

I was getting that too. You may be too upright and shooting the knees out too much. I was doing that and felt like the same discomfort i get from sumo deadlifts. Then I tried "screwing" my feet into the platform while deliberately hinging hips back. Don't do this to the degree that your are getting inward knee valgus or doing a good morning though. This will take the extra stress off your groin.
Okay thanks. I'll give this a shot. it almost feels like the belt is cutting into my skin so maybe leaning over it like you're saying would help take the pressure off.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Mosthated808
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws