mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The anabolic response to protein ingestion during postexercise recovery has no upper limit in magnitude and duration in vivo in humans

You'd make an absolutely shredded corpse.

Y'know, silver lining and all that.
I just found the name of my next death metal band I am starting. I play the drums @Drax has the guitar, we need someone to growl and burp, perhaps @OuchThatHurts will step up like DIO did for OZZY after a few 😂 slivovitz and rakija shots

I just found the name of my next death metal band I am starting. I play the drums @Drax has the guitar, we need someone to growl and burp, perhaps @OuchThatHurts will step up like DIO did for OZZY after a few 😂 slivovitz and rakija shots
In! Marshall half stack and Gibson Les Paul Raven coming in HOT! ☠️🔥🤘🏾

Can some one else extrapolate what @homonunculus is saying here? I'm just more confused lol.

Would starting protein synthesis with 30g EAA immediately PWO, then 50g hydrowhey, then 50g whey iso, then 50g casein be "optimal"?

Obviously made that above up but trying to piece together his thoughts.
What don't you understand, my man?...

-S

What don't you understand, my man?...

-S

Hmm. Let me ask another way. If you were trying to put on muscle would you do anything differently after seeing this study or just stick with the whey and cereal lol?

why would it be overkill to have a huge protein feeding post workout?
I drink my inta (40g cyclic dextrin, 20g clear whey, gluta, leucin...), then come home, take my mixer and put in 800ml water, 8 icecubes, a bit xanthan, 5 scoops whey and mix it to the most delicious shake on earth and 30min later i have a whole food meal consisting of 300g meat
since i do that my recovery is top notch even when cutting
He said 30-50-50-50 all not solid food 180gms of powders in a small window again IMO is overkill but maybe it’s just me, I did all that before and then shifted focus to whole clean foods and believe them to be superior. Yes there’s a place for aminos and waxy maize carbs around training but 30 gms aminos followed by 3 50 gram shakes ids a bit much AGAIN IMO and I believe some aminos and a shake should be chased by Whole Foods and not powder powder powder.

He said 30-50-50-50 all not solid food 180gms of powders in a small window again IMO is overkill but maybe it’s just me, I did all that before and then shifted focus to whole clean foods and believe them to be superior. Yes there’s a place for aminos and waxy maize carbs around training but 30 gms aminos followed by 3 50 gram shakes ids a bit much AGAIN IMO and I believe some aminos and a shake should be chased by Whole Foods and not powder powder powder.
well, the hydro whey/whey combo is unnecessary imo but the rest is okay in my opinion.
whey for me is still one of the best protein sources out there. And idc if it is powder form or a brick.
tons of successful bodybuilders blend their chicken etc. Makes it also a shake and therefore isnt considered whole food?

well, the hydro whey/whey combo is unnecessary imo but the rest is okay in my opinion.
whey for me is still one of the best protein sources out there. And idc if it is powder form or a brick.
tons of successful bodybuilders blend their chicken etc. Makes it also a shake and therefore isnt considered whole food?
You can be a successful bodybuilder but if you blend your chicken in water your life is a fail 😂

JK

You can be a successful bodybuilder but if you blend your chicken in water your life is a fail 😂

JK
since i have a huge appetite and i am a former "fat-kid" i really dont know how it feels if you have to stuff yourself to achieve the caloric goal.
But i can imagine gtting in 6000-8000 kcal somewhat clean is a pain in the ass xD

As a child I was a picky eater but the desire to be big taught me how to eat a lot and for me even eating 500g of protein and 1200-1300g of carbs a day is no problem.

Throughout 2021 and 2022 I ate no less than 500g of protein and 900-1300g of carbs every day without any problems - I was often even hungry lol

since i have a huge appetite and i am a former "fat-kid" i really dont know how it feels if you have to stuff yourself to achieve the caloric goal.
But i can imagine gtting in 6000-8000 kcal somewhat clean is a pain in the ass xD
I was just messing with you 😝
I actually tried this method to gulp down more chicken...hated life and digestion was WORSE!

As a child I was a picky eater but the desire to be big taught me how to eat a lot and for me even eating 500g of protein and 1200-1300g of carbs a day is no problem.

Throughout 2021 and 2022 I ate no less than 500g of protein and 900-1300g of carbs every day without any problems - I was often even hungry lol
Did you have to eat a lot more back when you were building your most muscle mass compared to the last few years?

Did you have to eat a lot more back when you were building your most muscle mass compared to the last few years?
exactly between 2021 and 2022 I had the highest muscle mass but the calories were similar to previous years the main change was a change in the training approach to a higher volume and larger amounts of GH

Hmm. Let me ask another way. If you were trying to put on muscle would you do anything differently after seeing this study or just stick with the whey and cereal lol?
Man, I'd not change a thing given this study, TBH.

Brandon and I really dig in on this study here on his podcast: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/chasing-clarity/ep-93-dr-scott-stevenson-is-7We3NEdvU01/

The short n' the not so sweet of it is that if you take their findings at face value, you could simply get by (and grow) by taking in two 100g protein only (milk protein) meals per day and eating NOTHING else (as done in the study), which doesn't pass the reality test.

Among the issues:

--> They tested milk protein, which is 80% casein and we've known for a long time (>25yr) that casein is a "slow protein," d/t it's affect on GI motility.
--> Casein lumps in the gut, just like if you let it sit after blending even, and some of the digestion-derived peptides bind opioid receptors in the gut and slow digestion, just like when someone is prescribed opiate pain killers and gets constipation - not what you want if you're trying to eat to grow.

--> Also he finding that there was no "muscle full" effect (halting of protein synthesis even though EAA where available) just after a training bout isn't surprising (known from previous studies), but I was surprised that myofibrillar protein synthesis was elevated for so long, without any incoming energy in the form of carbs or fats.

--> I was also surprised (as was Donald Layman, Layne Norton's PhD advisor at U. of I, per an interview I heard) that there wasn't an increase in AA oxidation in the higher dosed case. (Again, at face value, we're taking continuous MPS with no increase in protein oxidation with just 100g protein every 12 hr.

--> But what they found wasn't even approaching maximal rate of protein synthesis seen in the literature , as they've seen higher (numerically) at least just in another study they published about the same time with a LOWER dose of protein (albeit averaged over a shorter time period).

In the study in questions: 100g milk protein --> MPS of about 0.047%/hr (read from graph) averaged over 12 hr.

In the study below: 45g Peroein (casein or way)measured over 7hr 0.056%/hr (CASEIN) vs 0.064%/hr for Whey (NS) averaged over 7hr
1. Trommelen J, van Lieshout GAA, Pabla P, Nyakayiru J, Hendriks FK, Senden JM, Goessens JPB, van Kranenburg JMX, Gijsen AP, Verdijk LB, de Groot LCPGM, and van Loon LJC. Pre-sleep Protein Ingestion Increases Mitochondrial Protein Synthesis Rates During Overnight Recovery from Endurance Exercise: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Sports Medicine 53: 1445-1455, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-023-01822-3

-----> STILL, the 4-8hr myofibrillar protein synthesis values were lower (mathematically) in this study than in the study cited just above (over 7hr), which does suggest a saturation effect (again, just comparing across studies and the other study where they used tested different conditions).

Also, with the exception of myostatin, they found no treatment x time interaction for any of the molecular makers of anabolism and they measured basically everything you could - seriously just about everything! (So, kudos there)

--->So, IMO, the idea, as noted in the title, that there is "no upper limit" to the anabolic response isn't supported here really at all and REALLY CAN'T BE unless they were to test up to LUDICROUS amounts of protein, like 300g, and were to demostrate that MPS continues to climb, which data FROM THEIR OWN LAB doesn't suggest would happen, as I interpret it, given a only a 45g dose can protein at least equal if not higher rates of MPS)

------------

Also, a reality test here is that if you were to try to use THIS KIND OF PROTEIN (milk) to obtain a continuous long standing amino acid influx (eating just twice per day), you'd probably end up with some GI issues, which would shut down gains. (I've seen this often with folks who try to eat too much greek yoghurt for instance. GI goes to hell in a hand basket. LOL).

ALSO, these were UNTRAINED subjects and we know from Damas et al that the acute MPS response (first workout in newbies) does NOT predict long terms gains (eventual muscle growth), likely b/c of the muscle damage damage that is incurred. (MPS measured a few weeks into the program is a much better predictor). So these MPS measurements aren't good predictors of muscle growth anyway, per the rest of the literature. (This also makes the lack of increase in protein oxidation all the more puzzling to me, but I leave it to someone who understands the limitation of these methodologies to decipher why this study seems to run against the grain of the rest of the literature.

The only thing they didn't directly measure - it's apparently very expensive and technically difficult is muscle protein breakdown, which would have been VERY informative, IMO. I'd rather have had than info. vs. the rest of the somewhat (IMO) superfluous measurements they made.

So, again, no, this study doesn't change my thoughts on protein intake a/o timing in the real world.

(BTW, too, I've read and heard a TON of reviews on this study and these points seem to be missed universally. I think it's crappy that this click-baitish title was actually not edited out, but this research group has a lot of clout - deservedly - so I guess that's the reason why.

Perhaps not the best analogy, but imagine if someone advertised a tire that would never, ever need replacing ("no upper limit in mileage") - that it would last forever - that was only tested up to half of a typically tire's lifespan (I'm comparing tire lifespan that with the 100g protein being perhaps 50% of a daily intake). Would you believe that that tire will last forever it it hadn't really be run for at least 100,000 miles, much less 1,000,000 miles?... (Me neither... LOL)

-S

Doc Stevenson, you're up there in the top of individuals(across the spectrum) who have contributed the most and clear the murk with everything we happily tangle ourselves in. Boots on the ground.
Thanks, man

Whole food meaning in this case not ultra refined. In the end our stomachs turn it all to liquid and I agree whey especially hydro is awesome. My point on over kill woukd be rescinded if it was just 1 50 gram shake then on to food. Again it’s the 30 then 50 again 50 and once more 50. If it’s 30, 50, then chicken and sweet potatoes I’m saying “damn good” set up. Also if you’re eating 5-7 meals a day the carb spike with aminos intra is a good thing but with constant clean food all day the blood is already full of aminos and nutrients so there isn’t a great need to supplement. Only supplement I’ve found that seems to be able to just taken in insane doses without a drop off of efficacy is leucine.

Doc Stevenson, you're up there in the top of individuals(across the spectrum) who have contributed the most and clear the murk with everything we happily tangle ourselves in. Boots on the ground.
Thanks, man
You're welcome, my man and thanks for the kind words. Glad you found this helpful! (I actually felt with this study it was so important that I did my podcast, Brandon's podcast (Jeff wasn't there) and another in German with Marc Drossel... LOL)

-S

You're welcome, my man and thanks for the kind words. Glad you found this helpful! (I actually felt with this study it was so important that I did my podcast, Brandon's podcast (Jeff wasn't there) and another in German with Marc Drossel... LOL)

-S
Are you against the use of casein due to the casomorphins under any circumstance when trying to gain, including before bed?

This is the most elementary shit. I can't believe we're going over this again.

Are you against the use of casein due to the casomorphins under any circumstance when trying to gain, including before bed?
Absolutely not! Totally makes sense in that context ("nighttime protein" before bed, either when bulking or dieting down), as tolerated.

It's simply the idea that starting and ending the day with an 80g dose of casein (in 100g milk protein), day after day, is something I can imagine causing GI issues for some people.

(Mainly what I'm getting at is that what's been lacking in looking into this study, for whatever reason, is recognizing what was actually done here and the idea that casein is a slow protein, e.g., useful for a night time protein that could result in prolonged MPS isn't ground breaking.)

-S

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
old timer2
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity