over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MY THOUGHTS ON NUTRITION

What would you say that people fail the most with during the offseason or failing when trying to add new muscle to thier frame?

i did a quick little typical day of eating on one of the websites that tracks cals p fat carb etc and if you see the attached pics that is basically how i eat, on top of what is listed there i usually up pretty late at night and there is another small meal usually some sort of chicken lean cuisine at 300cals or so, and also maybe a banana or some kind of fruit mixed in throughout the day...so add that up to the pics and low 3k's cals....being pretty hard gainer are the food choices too clean, too dirty:) should i carb it up more etc? what are your thoughts!! thanks so much mag for this thread...just the little pieces of info from many informative threads like this i have made best gains of my life recently!

dont pay attention to the spacing of them..did it quick..like the turkey burger is with the protein shake not at lunch with the lunch chicken meal etc basically everything is spread out pretty evenly over the day

You got a PM.

I am wondering what you think of taking HCL as a supplement (poliquin has discussed this) because most are defidient in stomach acid? I am skeptical and would like to hear your thoughts.

I'd like to know why he thinks most people are deficient??

Magnum,

How much fat per Lbs do you consume in the offseason?....I hear the most said .5 per Lbs!!

I don't really count. My main sources of protein are ground beef 90% in the offseason whole eggs cottage cheese peanut butter fish chicken turkey. I use olive oil, fish oil and butter too.

OK, I am not Magnum, but I do know a little about nutrition. (By the way, I am a hard gainer too.) From the meals you listed, you are eating 3005 calories, 252P, 208C, 129F. Not a good diet for growth. You are not eating enough calories, for serious growth. 252P is not near enough, carbs should be higher and fats are too high, IMO. I am very interested in hearing Magnum's approach on this.

Bro thanks, but I'm no know it all. I love to hear other opinions, that's the way we all learn. :)

Can fats and carbs be eaten in the same meal? I've read that will lead to fat gain.

To be honest it doesn't bother some guys to eat large amounts of beef and rice together a far as digestion goes. I use carbs last in the offseason so it isn't really an issue. As I've said before, just keep adding carbs until you have reached your personal limit, that is when you start to gain too much BF.

I like reading about different nutritional approaches.

I guess I have sort of a nutritional question: I think you worked with Betty Pariso and King Kamali and probably a lot of other folks.

What has been your experience [without naming names of course..lol] working with pros compared to amateurs?

Which group is easier to work with?

Which group is more satisfying to work with?

What are the most difficult aspects of working with pros as far as previous drug use and the lack of response to to nutritional strategies?

Definitely easier to work with amateurs since they have a tendency to question your methods less. I find it satisfying to work with all kinds of people, but it is a little more satisfying to see a beginner win his first show, little compares to that.

I have never gotten a lack of response with any pro or top level amateur, sorry if that sounds conceited as it wasn't meant to. As far as supps go I feel a lot of things that are being used are sometimes overkill or needless, but try and convince them of that. :D

What would you say that people fail the most with during the offseason or failing when trying to add new muscle to thier frame?

Easy, making the same mistakes over and over again and being too closed minded for change.

So, here is the big question - Do you believe in offseason cardio? As I frequently do offseason cardio, but at pretty low-mod intensity to fire up my hunger! And I hate going from not doing any cardio in the offseason to going all out with cardio when I prep! I know I have heard the saying that doing cardio in the offseason is like taking a shower in the rain. However, I think if you eat enough in the offseason it is not a problem!

So, here is the big question - Do you believe in offseason cardio? As I frequently do offseason cardio, but at pretty low-mod intensity to fire up my hunger! And I hate going from not doing any cardio in the offseason to going all out with cardio when I prep! I know I have heard the saying that doing cardio in the offseason is like taking a shower in the rain. However, I think if you eat enough in the offseason it is not a problem!

I'm not really for or against it if you stay lean enough then there really is no big transition as you can ease into it come contest time.

You should be doing some sort of cardio for heart health. Offseason or not, I follow the national guidelines. 4-5 sessions/wk lasting 20mins at 70-85% MHR.

Magnum my problem is related to the amounts of carbs off season. I have been reading your diet philosophy and others pretaining to high fat, high protein low carb diets this is my problem. My diet is close to as follows:

9am 6 large eggs 3 whole/3 whites, greens usually greek salad lots of evoo

10 am LBA's or bcaa/eaa drink

11am LBa's one cub raw almonds

12pm chicken breast, brocoli, or spinach peanut butter salad (gomai)

1pm LBA's or bcaa/eaa drink

2pm one can tuna, 1 avocado, mayo

3pm (1hour before training) carbs???? lba's and olive oil

4pm (workout) pre workout shake of bcaa/eaa 4iu of humalog

(Intra workout) Bcaa/eaa

5pm Post workout LBA's, wild rice, steak, greens

6pm half steak, nother cup of rice

8pm LBA's / cup of almonds / veggies and dip (green)

10pm LBA's / Bcaa/eaa / Evoo

My question is my cals are high around 5k and I'm gaining lean mass and actually losing a little BF% but during workouts and the day after when I eat even less carbs I feel flat. Is this a good set up or do I need more carbs?

My supplements are 4g Vit C ed/ 10g fisht oil/ 6 grams CLA/ 6oz Wheat grass / astraligus 20%.

What would be a good example of carbs on workout days and post for growth and keeping lean?

Magnum my problem is related to the amounts of carbs off season. I have been reading your diet philosophy and others pretaining to high fat, high protein low carb diets this is my problem. My diet is close to as follows:

(Intra workout) Bcaa/eaa

My question is my cals are high around 5k and I'm gaining lean mass and actually losing a little BF% but during workouts and the day after when I eat even less carbs I feel flat. Is this a good set up or do I need more carbs?

My supplements are 4g Vit C ed/ 10g fisht oil/ 6 grams CLA/ 6oz Wheat grass / astraligus 20%.

What would be a good example of carbs on workout days and post for growth and keeping lean?

Back at ya tomorrow. :)

(Intra workout) Bcaa/eaa

Your diet looks very good. You say that you are gaining muscle and even losing some fat so you're on track there. Now I always tell everyone, it's one thing to "feel" flat, but how do you look?

Try this if you like and see how it goes for a couple weeks. Change your noon and 2pm protein to 8 oz ground beef 90% is fine. 3 pm meal same as 10 am.

Go 4ius slin before workout drink 40 grams carbs (liquid) and another 40 (no slin) during workout.

keep slin same as far as after workout.

Thanks brotha I will give it a go, and let you know how it goes!

Go 4ius slin before workout drink 40 grams carbs (liquid) and another 40 (no slin) during workout.

keep slin same as far as after workout.

Magnum, I thought you didn't like slin and thought it ruined physiques. Has your opinion changed?

last meal of the day

If a guy is awake from 6am to 11pm, and eating 6 meals a day, what time should his last meal be?

Staff online

• MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Shasta Perkins
NapsGear