over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Swimming for Cardio

richiec

Verified Customer / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anybody here swim for cardio?

Is there anyone who thinks that swimmming is counter-productive for putting on size?

I'm thinking of incorporating swimming into my cardio routine 2x/week for 45min. each

my opinion is that being immersed in water for that long signals your body to hold on to fat. no science to back that up just my feeling.

my opinion is that being immersed in water for that long signals your body to hold on to fat. no science to back that up just my feeling.

I never thought about that Tom , I guess that could be true as a survival instinct!!

I always figured it was perfect cardio , no impact , using way more muscles that walking or running , you have WAY less chance of getting dehydrated as your body is kept cool (typicaly , not in my pool that currently 91deg!!))

Have you ever seen a fat Olympic Swimmer? :p

This is the type of cardio id dream about doing on dnp lol.. I remember sweating my ass off this past winter, man I would have loved to swim in my pool and do cardio.

I'm so tempted lmao, but I wont!

Have you ever seen a fat Olympic Swimmer? :p

no chef you're correct. they are not fat but nor are they overly muscular for all the calories they burn in thier training. i can't put my finger on it but they are lean with a loose physique not rock hard like olympic gymnasts. there's just something about spending long periods of time in water that makes them have a swimmers type body and not difficult to pick out in a line-up of athletes.

the Australian institute of sport is trying to address that. as many female swimmers are now being prescribed land training to combat high fat levels.

"research published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine shows that swimming has no effect on weight loss .

Professor Grant Gwinup compared three exercise programs (walking, cycling and swimming) for three months. Each program began with up to 10 minutes of daily exercise. The length of each workout was increased by five minutes every week.

Test subjects following the walking program lost 17 pounds of weight during the three-month study.
Those following the cycling program lost 19 pounds of weight.
However, subjects following the swimming program actually gained 5 pounds.
In other words, subjects who walked or cycled lost weight, while the swimmers gained weight."

Great cardiovascular workout, shitty fat burner comparatively

Ok, It's late so I am gonna make a request first. Let's all give this PM thread our experiences, opinions, and advice on this topic.....then comes the important part: Explain why we feel this way. It would be sooooo increadible if most question's were handled this way and less posts by a guy with 50 posts that says.."no, it sucks.... do this....it works for getting me INSANELY shredded"
Sorry if I started that as a "grumpy butt" but like I said, it's late...... but damnit!!! I saw this and had to put my "Science Stamp" on it before bed because living in the Florida heat.... I get this question all the time.

Swimming is a great "calorie burner" and "cardiovascular workout".... However,if training for an optimal fat-burning workout then there are far better options. In this case I could post studies proving multiple sides of things, like why each of these is the best for fat loss; HIIT training, Aerobic/Anaerobic intervals, calories/tissue breakdown, "a calorie is a calorie weightloss" vs. Nutrient Partitioning, blah, blah, blah......
All can be proved and disproved in studies and there cannot be 7 best ways.... Back to the question Scotty, Geeze!
I believe in thermogenisis, a lot of us do... That's why we take clen, ECA, DNP,t3, ect. Ok, for the nitpicker ignoring my previous request.... Yes the all also increase metabolic rate and overall calorie expendature... BUT,
Remember the theory about raising the body temperature by 2 degrees or so in order to get our body to preferable break down adipose tissue over "calories-a combonation of protien, glycogen, and fat". That was the original reason Dan Duchaine told us to add clenbuteral to our diet plan when our body started to adapt to calorie restriction. He tested his athletes by taking their temperature in the a.m. and p.m. If their temp dropped, they added clen and retested. The test usually showed that the core temp went back up and stayed there until the body adapted again, usually about 2 weeks or so. Then he added T3 because the adaption was a result of thyroid slowdown due to the clen putting the body into hyper-drive. T3 was dosed at replacement doses and then the temp testing process continued through the diet with T3 dose adjustments.
Ok, Scott.... So what the F--k does this have to do with swimming? This answer will be shortened....I promise! Your body adjusts it's temperature in water as a survival mechanism (I have tested this in our Sports Med Lab many times). A quick example is overheating in a hot tub or someone getting hypothermia and freezing in cold water for too long. So unless you are swimming in a pool for an hour that is exactly 100.7 degrees (PLEASE DON't BE THE DUMBASS WHO TRIES THIS!!!) then you are not learning from all this early experimentation that was done. Remember, this experimentation is how we got all our cool protocals and cycle types for all those good Supps and DVD's.
Anyway, I do believe in various types of cardio and fatloss workouts and wish I could beat the June and July Florida sun getting ripped in the pool..... It's not the best option. I really do hope that someone get's though this long-winded post and it helps them in some way. haha, take care.
Big Evil

Last edited:
big bapper turned me on to short intense cardio sessions. he was believer in it.

I'm a big believer in short intense cardio. I do swim but not for long periods of time. I go all out for 20 or so minutes then go for a nice run. If you are trying to cut up I do believe swimming is beneficial. I have no scientific evidence to back this up. Just personal experience.

I have no idea what the temperature of swimming pools is but the ones I've been in were rather cold. That in and of itself will make you appear less muscular/more fat/less vascular.

Go sit in a hot jacuzzi for an hour (completely immersed) and tell me you don't look a lot leaner afterwards.

It's the temperature, not the water.

bahahahaha good one Tom.

we have an indoor pool at the gym, so the temp is regulated and kept warm. I'm only reffering to swimming maybe 2 times per week for cardio, to mix things up. Treadmill gets boring

I have no idea what the temperature of swimming pools is but the ones I've been in were rather cold. That in and of itself will make you appear less muscular/more fat/less vascular.

Go sit in a hot jacuzzi for an hour (completely immersed) and tell me you don't look a lot leaner afterwards.

Yep, but we are talking about getiing leaner, not looking leaner and your body's temperature adapts more dramatically to those temps in water though than outside in the normal climate. I am all for swimming for exercise and calorie burning....everything has it's place....If you do jumping jacks for an hour you will burn calories too. I was just explaining why an hour in the pool everyday has a different effect on lipolosis and the cosmetic effect he is looking to improve than the same calorie expendature exercise done not emersed in water. Try it for 30 days - 5 days a week, the result will be night and day. It's not speculation on my part....we have done it..... Both in my internships with J&J years ago and in the Sports med lab at my work. Everything does have it's place though... kinda like.....fruits and salads are healthy, and so is chicken....Do you get where I am going with this?

And yes about "looking" leaner in hot and cold water.... That is just vasodialation and cell constriction on many levels.... Oh, and cold water can make your pee pee small too.

Yep, but we are talking about getiing leaner, not looking leaner and your body's temperature adapts more dramatically to those temps in water though than outside in the normal climate. I am all for swimming for exercise and calorie burning....everything has it's place....If you do jumping jacks for an hour you will burn calories too. I was just explaining why an hour in the pool everyday has a different effect on lipolosis and the cosmetic effect he is looking to improve than the same calorie expendature exercise done not emersed in water. Try it for 30 days - 5 days a week, the result will be night and day. It's not speculation on my part....we have done it..... Both in my internships with J&J years ago and in the Sports med lab at my work. Everything does have it's place though... kinda like.....fruits and salads are healthy, and so is chicken....Do you get where I am going with this?

And yes about "looking" leaner in hot and cold water.... That is just vasodialation and cell constriction on many levels.... Oh, and cold water can make your pee pee small too.

What exactly is different than what I just said? Just go swim in hot water instead of cold ..

What exactly is different than what I just said? Just go swim in hot water instead of cold ..

I am not getting on your case bro.... I was just doing the "explaining" part that I get thanked for by members for.... But since you asked...

Originally Posted by Moen

I am not being a smart-ass at all so please do not take this that way, I will just directly answer your question to me. It is different because you said: Sit in jacuzzi for an hour - not swim in it (that would be one big ass and fun jacuzzi though!) and looking leaner afterwards is too different to what I explained to even go into. Oh, and it is the temperature OF THE WATER that is refferenced, that has a very different effect on the body than it being 100 degrees outside (not in the water). Sry, you asked...... I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone, I am trying to help

Last edited:
Anybody here swim for cardio?

Is there anyone who thinks that swimmming is counter-productive for putting on size?

I'm thinking of incorporating swimming into my cardio routine 2x/week for 45min. each

I swim and run laps in the pool for 15 mins a day 5-6 days a week after weights. It has worked great for me.

FYI. It was the only cardio I did when I lost my 46lbs. It burned fat great for me.

The pool seems to get longer and longer the more laps I swim. :confused:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Kamren
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner