advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A refresher on how some former patriots handled negative comments about our country.

There would be no US if it wasn´t for Spain too, unfortunately ignorance of history is widespread.

Actual patriots are quick to acknowledge the real history of our country. The American ideal (rugged individualism) is unique in world history but it could not have happenned were it not for the assistance of countries like Spain and france early on. Both the Spanish and French governments that helped us achieve our independence are also not the same governments they are today and that should be recognized before people start badmouthing those countries specifically. The Vichy French during WW 2 are a far cry from the France that aided our war for independence. We must acknowledge their significance in our history while simultaneously recognizing that we must use historical perspective when realizing the glories and flaws of our beautiful democracy.

Is it just me or does anyone else also feels being overly patriotic to ANY country is a little on the dumb side?

I was born in South Asia. My dad was an airline captain so we travelled a lot and even as a kid I couldn’t wait to get out of that shithole. Moved to the US at 17, made good money, became a US citizen and so far America has been great to me. As long as it stays that way I’m here. But it would be pretty foolish of me to say that I wouldn’t ever consider moving to some part of Europe, Australia, Philippines or Thailand, etc if I found down the road my quality of life is much better there compared to here especially if I want to retire before 50.

It’s just like a training program, if it’s not working anymore then be open minded enough to try something new. You might actually like it a whole lot more.

One of my US born Caucasian friends moved to Lisbon because of the tax benefits since he is all into crypto investments and last time I asked him if he misses America he told me he would rather take a shit on the star spangled banner before moving back. And this is former US Army veteran who has done tours of Iraq so who am I to argue with him?

Is it just me or does anyone else also feels being overly patriotic to ANY country is a little on the dumb side?
No, it's not just you. This wave of nativism and ultra-nationalism has wound up in disaster every time it's been tried leaving everything it touches in death and ruins. Poland today is flooded with the very nationalism that put Auschwitz there and killed many members of my family. From my Uncle Adolf (it was a common name) in Normandy to the camp at Treblinka in Poland. It's not dumb. It's lethal.

Been to the castle as well. It was an amazing tactical advantage for defense considering the weaponry back then. Smaller than I expected too.
Pele's castle which is not much farther away is so much nicer. Take the whole tour inside if you ever visit. It is stunning.

I was born in South Asia. My dad was an airline captain so we travelled a lot and even as a kid I couldn’t wait to get out of that shithole. Moved to the US at 17, made good money, became a US citizen and so far America has been great to me. As long as it stays that way I’m here. But it would be pretty foolish of me to say that I wouldn’t ever consider moving to some part of Europe, Australia, Philippines or Thailand, etc if I found down the road my quality of life is much better there compared to here especially if I want to retire before 50.

It’s just like a training program, if it’s not working anymore then be open minded enough to try something new. You might actually like it a whole lot more.

One of my US born Caucasian friends moved to Lisbon because of the tax benefits since he is all into crypto investments and last time I asked him if he misses America he told me he would rather take a shit on the star spangled banner before moving back. And this is former US Army veteran who has done tours of Iraq so who am I to argue with him?

I was born in USA and live there all my life. A couple years ago I moved to Romania, never regretted it. Cost of living is real low. Bucharest where I live, has some of the lowest crime of any major city. Virtually no violent crimes or homicides. People welcome Americans here. We have an Army base in Bucharest. After all the benefits, no way would I shit on a country like USA, who has given me more opportunities then most countries could ever give. USA has given me the opportunity to live here debt free and that makes me proud to be American.

No, it's not just you. This wave of nativism and ultra-nationalism has wound up in disaster every time it's been tried leaving everything it touches in death and ruins. Poland today is flooded with the very nationalism that put Auschwitz there and killed many members of my family. From my Uncle Adolf (it was a common name) in Normandy to the camp at Treblinka in Poland. It's not dumb. It's lethal.
Spot on. It’s quite disturbing to see. I love this country as much as anyone, but there’s a difference between having pride while knowing things can still improve and being a nationalist.

Spot on. It’s quite disturbing to see. I love this country as much as anyone, but there’s a difference between having pride while knowing things can still improve and being a nationalist.
The word patriotism comes from 'patriot'. Which in turn came from the French word patriote which means "for love of one's father" (or fatherland in this case). Nationalism has come to mean "exalting one's nation above all others" even to their detriment (Ghengis Kahn, Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, Adolf Hitler). None of which ended well. For anyone. All short-lived and have never worked. The US represents a multiplicity of "nations". Me? I love America. This is my home. But I like many countries.

Like @pesty4077 , I'm an expat American.
Living as a permanent resident in Japan I enjoy the benefits of both countries, and love what the USA stands for.
I want my daughter to retain her American citizenship (which might be a challenge) and be able to explore the country of her birth one day.

But here in Japan there are reminders of what happens when patriotism becomes nationalism. What may be one of the most peace-loving nations on earth was once a ferociously nationalistic military dynamo bent on expanding its empire.
People died and sacrificed without question. They believed they were chosen by the gods to lead and thought all others inferior. The conquest of others seemed logical.

Living in Japan also enables me to look back home and observe more clearly.

Modern Nationalism is extremely dangerous and too many lack the education and self-awareness to recognize it. Too many others embrace it.
It serves a useful purpose of those in power to redirect the anger or suffering of the people, to make them feel aggrieved, and to give them a target for their anger and hate.
It was said many good people became Nazis in pre-war Germany; they weren't all evil, they we experiencing real or imagined hardship and became convinced they were superior to those "causing" their problems.
Once separated, elevated, and empowered the citizens will cheer on the destruction of all "enemies of the state", foreign and domestic.

Like @pesty4077 , I'm an expat American.
Living as a permanent resident in Japan I enjoy the benefits of both countries, and love what the USA stands for.
I want my daughter to retain her American citizenship (which might be a challenge) and be able to explore the country of her birth one day.

But here in Japan there are reminders of what happens when patriotism becomes nationalism. What may be one of the most peace-loving nations on earth was once a ferociously nationalistic military dynamo bent on expanding its empire.
People died and sacrificed without question. They believed they were chosen by the gods to lead and thought all others inferior. The conquest of others seemed logical.

Living in Japan also enables me to look back home and observe more clearly.

Modern Nationalism is extremely dangerous and too many lack the education and self-awareness to recognize it. Too many others embrace it.
It serves a useful purpose of those in power to redirect the anger or suffering of the people, to make them feel aggrieved, and to give them a target for their anger and hate.
It was said many good people became Nazis in pre-war Germany; they weren't all evil, they we experiencing real or imagined hardship and became convinced they were superior to those "causing" their problems.
Once separated, elevated, and empowered the citizens will cheer on the destruction of all "enemies of the state", foreign and domestic.

Great post ❤️

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner