advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Abnormal blood test -- because of diet soda!

Silencer

FOUNDING Member
Registered
As someone who gets blood tests all the time on cycles, I got a surprise today: my doc looked at the results and asked if I have been drinking a lot of diet soda lately. I told him when I'm doing a keto diet (which I started last week), I drink it constantly for the caffeine and taste.

He then showed me that my phosphorus levels were way higher than normal! The rest was standard "on" readings: slightly lower HDL, very high test, slight elevation in liver readings (still within norm). But he said high levels of phosphorous can leach calcium from your bones.

Just found it surprising that its not the 625mg/test that tripped up a flag (though my doctor knows I'm on, so he knows what my panels typically look like), but my Diet Coke intake!

Guess it is back to water...:D

As someone who gets blood tests all the time on cycles, I got a surprise today: my doc looked at the results and asked if I have been drinking a lot of diet soda lately. I told him when I'm doing a keto diet (which I started last week), I drink it constantly for the caffeine and taste.

He then showed me that my phosphorus levels were way higher than normal! The rest was standard "on" readings: slightly lower HDL, very high test, slight elevation in liver readings (still within norm). But he said high levels of phosphorous can leach calcium from your bones.

Just found it surprising that its not the 625mg/test that tripped up a flag (though my doctor knows I'm on, so he knows what my panels typically look like), but my Diet Coke intake!

Yeah, that shit is hard on your teeth too. You should think twice about drinking so much! Im wanting to say that it might even form phosphoric acid somewhere, but im not sure.

i stay clear from all diet drinks and anything containing asparthame. the market is going crazy with that shit because the patent on asparthame ran out a couple years ago. Now every company is using it because its cheaper than sugar - even my favorite protein brand now uses asparthame!!!
I dont mean to turn this thread political, but there is def too much research that suggests that this shit taken in regularly can cause major health issues. just type in "asparthame consiparacy" in google and you will get plenty of stuff to read.

So yeah, I would stick to water. we are involved in enough risks using the compounds that we are. i dont want another thing to worry about. :)

numerous studies have shown diet soda can lead to metabolic syndrome.

Diet soda intake and risk of incident metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).
Nettleton JA, Lutsey PL, Wang Y, Lima JA, Michos ED, Jacobs DR Jr.

Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas, USA. [email protected]

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: We determined associations between diet soda consumption and risk of incident metabolic syndrome, its components, and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: Diet soda consumption was assessed by food frequency questionnaire at baseline (2000-2002). Incident type 2 diabetes was identified at three follow-up examinations (2002-2003, 2004-2005, and 2005-2007) as fasting glucose >126 mg/dl, self-reported type 2 diabetes, or use of diabetes medication. Metabolic syndrome (and components) was defined by National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III criteria. Hazard ratios (HRs) with 95% CI for type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and metabolic syndrome components were estimated, adjusting for demographic, lifestyle, and dietary confounders. RESULTS: At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11-1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27-2.20] for type 2 diabetes). Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men >or=102 cm and women >or=88 cm) and high fasting glucose (>or=100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption. Associations between diet soda consumption and type 2 diabetes were independent of baseline measures of adiposity or changes in these measures, whereas associations between diet soda and metabolic syndrome were not independent of these factors. CONCLUSIONS: Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

PMID: 19151203 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]PMCID: PMC2660468Free PMC Article

crap.. is anything good anymore.. i drink literally 4-5 cans of diet soda a day.. love the stuff.. diet dr pep.. :(

damn how much was you drinking? i drink diet dr pepper but only a couple a week.

damn how much was you drinking? i drink diet dr pepper but only a couple a week.

All the studies have found that just one per day is enough to get the negative effects :(

Had a buddy end up in the ER thinking he was having a heart attack. Ending up being the six diet cokes he was drinking a day!

DLStryker

if you have to drink diet soda, drink light colored ones like diet sprite and fresca.

wow... considering that almost everyone i know drinks diet soda, and have been for decades, and nothing bad ever came out of it... i'd say it's just another one of those "bad" things for you cuz it tastes sweet with no guilt...
and that study... it's basically a correlation... correlations aren't always correct... in fact, in my line of business, they're almost never right.

anyway, silencer, how many diet sodas were you drinking?

If you go crazy with diet soda you can cause sympathetic stress to the CNS, causing adrenal burn out or fatigue. This is not a good thing for some one with bodybuilding goals but I think diet soda still can be used correctly while dieting. Doc is right high levels of phosphoric acid can inhibit magnesium/calcium. This isn't something I would worry much about though.

wow... considering that almost everyone i know drinks diet soda, and have been for decades, and nothing bad ever came out of it... i'd say it's just another one of those "bad" things for you cuz it tastes sweet with no guilt...
and that study... it's basically a correlation... correlations aren't always correct... in fact, in my line of business, they're almost never right.

lol,
Well in science and healthcare a "correlation" is a first step to look further into something.This is one of many studies now linking diet sodas and metabolic syndrome.This is also on pubmed which isn't exactly blowing smoke like prevention magazine or some bullshit.

A two-liter of Coke Zero every day (just under six cans I believe), mostly with meals since they were pretty bland and I like the taste. Normally I drink milk with all my meals when I'm not on a diet, but obviously that's a no-go on a keto.

If you go crazy with diet soda you can cause sympathetic stress to the CNS, causing adrenal burn out or fatigue.

Wouldn't the ECA stacks and clen do this as well, even more so than my soda? Not arguing, but simply curious. I do find myself fatigues a lot, but used to chalk it up to not enough sleep and anadrol. :)

Lastly -- kid1dakota -- is it possible, as buselmo was saying, that the causality of metabolic syndrome is not diet soda? I'd venture to guess a lot of fat or obese people tend to drink diet soda, so could these studies be wrong because people who tend to drink diet soda = people who tend to already have diabetes or other weight issues, so it doesn't apply to regular joes? Do they control for the sample in these studies to get cross-sections of population?

Last edited:
Lastly -- kid1dakota -- is it possible, as buselmo was saying, that the causality of metabolic syndrome is not diet soda? I'd venture to guess a lot of fat or obese people tend to drink diet soda, so could these studies be wrong because people who tend to drink diet soda = people who tend to already have diabetes or other weight issues, so it doesn't apply to regular joes? Do they control for the sample in these studies to get cross-sections of population?

Alright;
I have been meaning to write something for a long time on this board on studies.What is relevant and what is bogus(which I have seen a lot of cut and pasted onto this board) etc...What criteria makes a study hold weight amongst peers in healthcare or in the scientific community etc..

My first week of Chiropractic school I had an instructor say "If you are going to be healthcare professionals the first thing you need to learn is what is credible information and what is bogus and where to find it.You need to be able to state where you got your information which needs to come from credible sources."

"I heard"... "they say"... and especially "hear say" or "bro-science" on message boards is not credible information.I understand the chemicals being used in bodybuilding don't have a whole lot of testing behind them.Also they are being used in supraphysiological doses and some being used outside the scope of which the are intended.This is even more the reason to be cautious about where and who you get your information.

Some foul mouthed idiot saying "fuck it dude bros I have pinned a gram a day with used pins and me and my bros have never got an abcess so don't worry and it never happens" is the type shit going around and unfortunately taken to heart by some.:eek::(

I am also seeing a lot of guys knocking or disregarding very credible information that is posted from very credible sources that hold up amongst the best in the medical community.Yet some guy on an internet message board that is not even a healthcare professional flat out refutes it or has the odasity to refer to it as "just some study" and it false.Another good one using the " its not true because this hasn't applied to anyone he/she knows " ?!?!?!

What is a credible study?
First is a peer reviewed published medical journal: This is a long process that is nit picked by unknown peers in your profession.This is a long process and very thorough.

So silencer says "the causality of metabolic syndrome is not diet soda? I'd venture to guess a lot of fat or obese people tend to drink diet soda, so could these studies be wrong because people who tend to drink diet soda = people who tend to already have diabetes or other weight issues, so it doesn't apply to regular joes? Do they control for the sample in these studies to get cross-sections of population?"

All that was addressed believe me!! that study posted was a peer reviewed published journal.You think a bunch of Doctors putting in time and resources didn't think to use a good cross section? come on!

Most of the journals from pubmed are gold standard in the industry as it is stuff posted from JAMA,NEJM,etc..

Next is university studies from an accreditted Universities.They are studies from leading researchers in the world that are working as instructors and have a lot of resources and are held to very high standards.

So to sum it up:
when you post up a study or comment on a study you should understand what is credible.
1) peer reviewed published medical journals
2) University studies (accreditted only)

One last note as I have seen a lot of stuff posted that used rats,mice and or a test tube studies.A lot of times that is where science starts in animals or in a test tube but until it passes human clinical trials more information and testing is needed for conclusion.

You can still drink diet soda/diet drinks. I am not a huge advocate of artificial sweeteners, but as someone who knows first hand how hard dieting can be...they can be better than cheating on your diet!

The key is to look at the ingredients. Coke and Pepsi contain PHOSPHORIC ACID. Its very acidic and can definitely cause mineral loss. (these alkalizing minerals are recruited from bones so as to help balance your body's/stomach's pH)... most root beer, lemon-lime/fruity-type sodas etc do not contain phosphoric acid and aren't nearly as "mineral leaching" or bad for your digestion etc.

-Alex

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • MikeS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear