over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

An open letter to IFBB Pro & NPC on Anabolic Steroids

Flexican

Registered
Thought I'd share this if anyone has not seen it. Thoughts comments...?

An Open Letter to the International Federation of BodyBuilders Pro Division (IFBB), and the National Physique Committee (NPC), on the Recent Federal Indictment of NPC Texas Chairperson Lee Thompson on Steroid Conspiracy Charges

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990 criminalized the non-medical use of anabolic steroids (AAS) for the purpose of improving muscle strength, body composition and physical appearance. Bodybuilders who use anabolic steroids for physique enhancement have since faced the possibility of arrest and prosecution if caught in possession of steroids even for merely personal use. This has had disastrous effects on gainfully-employed, otherwise law-abiding individuals who have been arrested and prosecuted under federal steroid laws. The stigma and loss of reputation associated with federal drug charges persist even when charges are dismissed or downgraded.

The use of anabolic steroids in competitive bodybuilding is, by all accounts, widespread and pervasive. Not surprisingly, numerous individuals associated with the network of competitive bodybuilding, including IFBB/NPC competitors, have been entered into the criminal justice system due to their alleged involvement with AAS. The IFBB/NPC has been conspicuously silent on the increasing number of bodybuilders, personal trainers, and gym owners specifically targeted by overzealous prosecutors.

The recent arrest and indictment of NPC Texas Chairperson Lee Thompson on federal anabolic steroid conspiracy charges presented an opportunity for the IFBB/NPC to publicly criticize existing steroid laws and the application of those laws in a modern-day witch-hunt. Regrettably, IFBB/NPC official(s) instead may have attempted to cover up and suppress the information. When the attempted deception was embarrassingly exposed, matters were made worse when the public disclosure of the truth was maligned. The IFBB/NPC failed to recognize that the real enemy is NOT the disclosure of the truth BUT the flawed anabolic steroid law enforcement policy that unfairly affects those involved.

The IFBB/NPC leadership has gone to great lengths to maintain the illusion that anabolic steroids are not an issue in competitive bodybuilding. Discussion of the existence of AAS in the IFBB/NPC is strictly prohibited. Any connection between competitors’ steroid-related legal problems and IFBB/NPC sanctioned contests is not permitted. The IFBB/NPC has even revoked press credentials for writer(s) who have violated these unwritten rules.

It is time for the IFBB/NPC to embrace honesty and confront the reality of steroid use in the IFBB/NPC. The IFBB/NPC should openly address the steroid witch-hunt that has affected many IFBB/NPC competitors (and at least one top IFBB/NPC official). The IFBB/NPC needs to speak out against the mainstream steroid hysteria and the war on steroids that have demonized and criminalized the use of AAS for bodybuilding and physique enhancement.

Hopefully, the IFBB/NPC will act, not only to protect its own, but to also protect the legal and physical well-being of the hundreds of athletes who participate in IFBB/NPC sanctioned contests. Such an agenda would include steroid law reform and steroid harm reduction. Competent and forward-thinking leadership is required to transform the perception of the IFBB/NPC from an organization that hypocritically and distrustfully addresses the AAS issue to one that candidly and credibly addresses AAS use.

Respectfully yours,

Millard Baker
Founder, MESO-Rx

GREAT letter!

Read this silly article today in the Houston Chronicle in regards to the recent drug bust in the area. Baker also makes a comment here.

Will regulation muscle its way into gyms?
By MOISES MENDOZA Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
June 5, 2009, 6:56AM

In the fitness world, some people will do anything to get rippling muscles and tight abs, including taking steroids or other performance enhancers.

The arrests last week of more than 70 local trainers, gym owners and others allegedly involved in dealing steroids and other drugs throughout the Houston area brought that fact home.

But the arrests have also put the spotlight on an increasingly troubled fitness industry and the people in it.

There are 150,000 trainers nationwide. But the business is almost entirely unregulated, making it difficult to monitor trainers — legitimate or unscrupulous.

Insiders say there’s no easy way to stop illicit drug use, and many even believe that performance enhancers can be beneficial if used responsibly.

Whatever their views, no one doubts that the temptation to use steroids is strong.

“If you know who to go to, steroids are relatively easy to obtain,” said Millard Baker, who runs MESO-Rx, a Web site that discusses steroid issues.

Stories like that of Brian McNamee, the trainer who says he injected professional baseball players with drugs, creating a perception that it’s mostly athletes who are using.

But reality is different, experts say.

More than 40 percent of male adult anabolic steroid users have college degrees and range from bankers to scientists, according to a 2007 study in the Journal of International Sports Nutrition.

Looks, not sports

They’re not using steroids to compete in sports but largely to make themselves more attractive, according to the study — and they often rely on personal trainers or fellow workout partners to get there.

The field of personal training is highly competitive. At many clubs, trainers work as independent contractors, and their livelihood depends on how many people train with them.

Temptation to provide quick results prompts some to tolerate or even encourage drug use, said Shauna Jackson, a Houston-area personal trainer since 2001.

“Everyone is looking for the magic pill,” Jackson said.

Initiation to drugs often begins with someone who’s unusually fitness-conscious, wants to push himself hard and picks an unscrupulous trainer, said Tuan M. Tran, a bodybuilder who works with clients at BONA Fitness on Westheimer. “Then the trainer might say, ‘You can get where you want to be; you just need to take this substance and this substance,’ ” Tran said.

If they see results, users can get more drugs from workout partners or people they compete with.

“Some of these people you know are cheating, you know are using,” said Aura Gallardo, who’s a personal trainer, also at BONA .

Can they be used safely?

The problem is compounded because some in the fitness and bodybuilding worlds have long believed that performance-enhancing drugs can be used responsibly, although doctors warn that serious abuse leads to side effects such as damaged testicles.

One of the few to speak openly about that view was Dan Duchaine, who wrote numerous books about the use of steroids in bodybuilding and fitness and died of kidney problems in 2002 at age 47.

Duchaine was known as the “steroid guru” and is widely credited with popularizing their use.

Matters aren’t helped by fragmentation in the fitness industry. There are many different certifications that trainers can obtain. No state requires trainers to be licensed. Anyone, qualified or not, can claim to be a personal trainer.

And there’s no guarantee that even well-known, corporate gyms will hire ethical people — at least one suspect in the busts last week worked for an area LA Fitness, officials said.

A government role?

Government oversight isn’t a solution to the drug problem, said Wayne Hunt, who co-owns Professional Fitness Instructor Training in Richmond.

“The regulation really has to come from within the industry,” Hunt said. “We have to regulate ourselves.”

But some have said tighter government requirements could ensure that only highly qualified people call themselves personal trainers.

A bill pending in California would require trainers to have a bachelor’s degree in an exercise-related field or be certified by one of several organizations that have achieved accreditation nationally.

David Nall of Austin said if he wanted drugs they would be easy to obtain.

But when the 33-year-old started working out and then competing in fitness events several years ago, he decided to be clean.

“It’s just a personal thing, and that’s what it has to be for these guys, a personal decision,” Nall said.

But sometimes the biggest fitness buffs can’t bring themselves to reject drugs.

Bust causes concern

That’s why the recent arrests have rocked Houston’s fitness community and led many trainers to monitor TV coverage of the busts with bated breath.

Trainers have been asking themselves, “Will I know any of these guys?”

Dahelia Hunt, who co-owns the Richmond fitness school with her husband, is one of those nervous TV watchers.

So far, though, she said, she’ hasn’t seen anyone their school has trained.

[email protected]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6458953.html

Gobal dept

What a waist of money.

I never knew Millard Baker founded Meso rx. I've read a lot of his articles on his blog and I know he's a good writer. I guess ya learn something new everyday.

I like how they put in the second article, " The problem is compounded because some in the fitness and bodybuilding worlds have long believed that performance-enhancing drugs can be used responsibly, although doctors warn that serious abuse leads to side effects such as damaged testicles."
Most doctors only spout out whats been taught to them already in medical school which could have been 50 years ago. There are plenty of doctors out there that know steroids have their place and can be used safely. There aren't any drugs without side effects it's all about if they can prove the benefits outweigh the sides. And IMO AAS's benefits def. outweigh the sides which can be controlled. I love when I'm on, stronger,hornier, feel better about myself. I'm ready for my next cycle now. I'm thinking about making this an extended cycle this time too. Maybe a cruise or two and maybe come off in six months. Just kinda playing it by ear now. Still planning it out.

It kills me too that a woman is allowed to use AAS if she wants to become a tranny. A doctor will prescribe it but it's so hard for a grown man to get HRT when he gets older or even when his levels aren't where he wants them.

While I'd personally like to see testing in the npc/ifbb. I realize this wouldn't stop use outright but it would help to put a cap on abuse.

Shorter cycles and esters might lead to a healthier sport for the competitors and better sales at the box office. It would certainly make it cheaper for the competitors.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131