advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any Ice Hockey Players/Trainers Here...Training Q???

6.8SPC

Registered
I have played ice hockey since I was six years old. I played all through my teens and early twenties, then stopped playing for a few years and am now 26. I have had the itch to start playing again so I signed up for a summer league team at my local rink. No big deal, just a bunch of guys playing for fun so it's not too serious, but I think training would help me make a smoother comeback. When I was playing in high school, there was not much pressure to hit the weight room as most of my coaches were old school and thought if we trained we would become "muscle bound". Stupid I know. Anyway my question is what types of exercises would be good for me to help build power and explosiveness and improve my game? I am a goaltender, so would be particularly interested in exercises that increase power and speed while in my stance and moving laterally. I have about two months to get ready. Ideas? Thanks, eh. ::port-smi

i think there is a former hockeyplayer on anabolicminds.com named realgains. he posts some in their endurance athletics forum

hockey is my first love, if u were a forward or defenseman i could help, dont know jack shit about goalie training except to do compound movements, the olympic lifts, unilateral leg work, speed work, conditioning

if your a goalie.... stretch stretch stretch lol.
do some wall sits, that will help with your stance in the gear, work on quickness w/ tossing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it without a glove on. i wouldt really say you need to hit the weight room, just kinda little thinks to help with keeping the gear on, keeping you limber, and agile, turns etc. u get what im saying

i would say full range of motion exercises in the squat and dead would help strenghten the muscles u need, the olympic lifts or the hang versions of them work on explosiveness which should help

really work on training your Iliopsoas

Thanks guys. Now that I think about it, I think flexibility is a key area for me to work on. I used to be able to do a full split in my pads and stretch all the way across the net. Not anymore :( , a little rusty these days. The last thing I want is to pull a groin or a hamstring, so I think I'll focus on stretching for now. Whoever said wall sits was right on too, I'll do those with a 45lb'er and work up from there. It takes a 'special' individual to want to play goalie. :p

I played 2 seasons MLRH(Major League Roller Hockey)1 for Philly & 1 for NJ...the yrs I played I did alot of plyos & alot of speed & agility stuff...unfortunatly I had to stop due to fracturing My shoulder 2 novembers ago:mad:

I played goalie way back in the day when i was younger(i started playing hockey at 2 years old). It wasnt my main position. i either was defense or left wing. But anyways, the one thing i remember as most important is being able to keep your pads tight to each other and practice falling to your knees and bouncing back up as fast as you can. And of course always keep your eye on the puck. I also agree with all the other comments made as well. be stretched out and strengthen your legs so you dont tire out! And if the other teams opponent is in your crease, knock him the fuk out...lol

Dusty

Dusty Henshaw was semi-pro I believe- maybe he'll see this or shoot him a PM.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear