advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone here had disc problem/surgery in the neck?

Max32

Registered
Specifically, C5, C6, and C7. Most likely have a slightly bulging disc in C5. Gone to chiros and physical therapy for a while. The issue is this: What I previously thought was thorasic outlet syndrome, is a bulging disc creating pressure on the nerve root around C5 that is causing muscle deactivation on my right teres maj/minor and rotator cuff muscles. I literally have a gap in my musculature. Some docs rec surgery, others do not think it is necessary and to let the nerve come back on its own. Neck is stiff as hell, and I am kinda freakin' out at this point. Was planning on doing Jr Nationals, but will hold off as training has not been that great on chest and shoulders specifically. Any help or advice in this area is greatly appreciated guys....

I did have a herniated disc...but it was L-5...no surgery just rehabed myself.

I know this one is in your neck. do your best not to go under the knife.

anti-inflamitories and ice are training. look into some serious rehab...avoid the knife at all costs.

I had fusion of c-6,7 back in 93.I resisted surgery recomindations for 18 months and tried physical therapy among many other things to no avail.Finally had the surgery and have never had another problem.Can only speak of my experience and everyone has different results from surgery altough neck seems to have better results from surgery than lower back.

I would recommend light, very careful traction. I have one of those over-the-door home traction things, they cost like $20. I use it all the time for my neck problems. FWIW I had C4-5-6 all fused (from the front, car racing accident), then broke them all (white water canoe accident), and had to have them fused again this time from the back. Then later I blew out the C6-7 disk right below the fused block, and was scheduled for surgery to fuse it to the rest when I discovered the traction. Cured the C6-7 problems and I haven't looked back. It is also good for the tightness and constant nerve issues due to the C4-5-6 fusions and assorted soft tissue damage from surgeries.

Surgery should be a last resort, something I wish I had known way back when.

Here's the thing I have, except I threw away the water bag and have a 25 lb weight attached to it. You should work up slowly:

http://www.painreliever.com/4390.html

Last edited:
medium al and paul,

Has the surgery limited yuor weight training, and if so, in what way?
Curious as to whether things like haevy shrugs, benches, and deads are still ok - I know this varies form patient to patient.

Everything is OK now, just took a long time to rehab and to learn ways of doing things that don't aggravate them. I have my own sereis of injury-specific exercises and stretches depending on what is going on. I do use a 4-way neck machine and that has helped a lot. Had some ongoing neurological problems and that has made for some strength imbalances, but easy to work around and offset them. Lot of maintenance deep muscle massage.

I have other injuries that limit the big lifts more, couple of laminectomies @ L5-S1 and L4-L5, and L5 is fused to S1. These interfere with heavy squats and deads more than the neck. Had right shoulder glenoid & labrum tears, tore off the outer proximal bicep, and rotator cuff fixed couple of years ago, that limtis bench a bit. No worries. Squats and deads stay between 400-500 lbs, bench around 300-350 depending on training cycle. Any heavier and things start to break. I am 50 BTW.

I suppose I should quit and be an emaciated distance runner or something but I like lifting too much.

I was in a car wreck in high school and the car flipped over. I was thrown partically out of the car. My right arm was trapped under the roof, which actually saved my life. My C5 & C6 were broke and the disc was crushed. They took a piece of my hip bone to replace the disc and fused the 5th & 6th together. I was 17 years old. I don't have any problems out of it. They said I have about a 25% disability. I'm lucky to be alive much less walking.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • Bio
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar