over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are Great Athletes Made or Born

RazorCuts

Registered
Are Great Athletes Made or Born - or
Do They Have What It Takes to Survive The Lunacy of Their Coaches?
by Richard A. Winett, Ph. D.

NOTE: This article is a critique/analysis of an article titled 'Strength and Power Training of Australian Olympic Swimmers' which was published in Strength and Conditioning Journal 2002: 24:7-15. The authors are Newton RU, Jones J, Kraemer WJ, and Wardle H.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think that if I could just access the brainpower of professional coaches and the training routines of champion athletes, I could make some great strides forward. I say this with full awareness that as with any endeavor, to be really great at it, you need the very specific genetic characteristics called for by specific events in specific activities, of course, including sports. So, I realize that great athletes are born with the potential to be great athletes. Surely, they work very hard and then, I have thought, there must be something very special about their training programs that makes them even better, and more importantly, I can learn that "something very special" and adapt it to my own training.
I had never, however, fully understood that superior genetics enable athletes to tolerate extreme and unnecessary training programs and succeed despite their programs!

The article by Newton and colleagues provides great insight into the age-old "nature-nurture" debate in a startling way. Great athletes become great because genetic factors are so important they enable gifted people to overcome the sheer lunacy of their training programs designed by coaching and exercise science gurus unwittingly (or one can guess at times, wittingly) counter to any common sense and scientific exercise physiology data.

Newton et al. build upon many of the unsubstantiated premises in the American College of Sports Medicine's (ACSM) position stand 1 for advanced resistance trainers (arguably anyone training for about 6 months to a year; note William Kraemer is the third author of the present article and the lead author of the position stand). The unsubstantiated premises - statements made without clear empirical support - include the following:

advanced trainers require higher volume training programs to progress;
multiple sets of each exercise are superior for producing strength , power, and endurance increases and hypertrophy (muscle mass) than single sets of an exercise;
periodization models describe the most effective way to train;
each function - strength, power, endurance, hypertrophy - is maximized by a specific loading pattern (percent of RM), number of repetitions, number of sets, and time between multiple sets so that each function needs a separate training protocol;
specific resistance training movements can be used to mimic athletic movements and that improvement in these resistance training movements will transfer to the athletic field despite the differences in movement, speed, purpose, or context.
The ACSM's position stand also fails to emphasize that genetic factors are primarily responsible for variations in tolerance, responsiveness, and the overall outcomes of training, and that improvements by advanced athletes are very slight -although perhaps meaningful at the absolute highest level of achievement.

As "common sense" as the five premises noted above are, empirical support for them is largely lacking. At best, they are mere opinions. At worst, they result in training protocols that can be virtually incomprehensible and can take at least 10 - 20 hours a week to complete. This is not an exaggeration since the ACSM's position stand ends (p. 374) with a virtually non-interpretable table that calls for just such a training program.

One can only then imagine what happens when this approach to resistance training is joined with another form of training that is even more ridiculous - competitive swim training. Despite every indication in exercise science that specificity of training is a most critical cardinal principle of training (sprinters sprint, they don't jog for hours), swim training has not evolved. Swimmers essentially doing short events still swim for hours each day - often twice per day - doing primarily slower free style strokes even though their events last a very short time and require a very particular set of techniques and speed that has nothing to do with slow, very long distance, free style swimming.

For example, the swimmers highlighted in Newton et al. are 200-meter butterfly swimmers. The world record (www.swimnews.com) for women in the 200-meter butterfly is 2.05.43 and for men, 1.51.21. That is, much like an 800-meter run, the 200-meter butterfly is an extended sprint. But, you only need to perform at this super pace for about 2 minutes.

Not surprisingly given the very large volume of their training, Newton et al. note that many swimmers have shoulder injuries primarily attributable to overtraining. For example: "The cause of the inflammation or tenderness around the rotator cuff is typically the large volume of training, with some days amounting to over 14 km being swum" (p. 9). For the metrically challenged, 14 km is about 8.5 miles.

According to Newton et al., the approach to swim training, however absurd, has to be accepted and a resistance training program designed around the swim training to add strength and power and reduce injuries. With that much endurance training in the pool, adding muscle mass is next to impossible and, in any case, swim coaches believe (in the absence of data) that adding appreciable muscle simply will contribute to drag and slower swim times.

What follows then is a bizarre mix of resistance training exercises performed in ways to try to mimic swim movements, the use of medicine balls and the Swiss ball for different movements and static holds, and then 200 reps for abdominals.

As for the odd mix of resistance training movements, these are done 4 days per week for four sets of each movement with likely several minutes between each set as prescribed by the ACSM's position stand. The exemplar routines for two champion 200-meter butterfly swimmers featured about 104 sets per week, therefore requiring about 7.5 hours (1 minute per set and 3.5 minutes between sets x 104 sets) plus time for 10 sets of Swiss ball and 10 sets of medicine ball exercises twice per week and then various static holds. A good guess is that the total resistance training protocol requires about 10 hours per week. Newton et al. note somewhat apologetically that the volume of resistance training has to be reduced (compared to what they perceive as optimal) because of the great volume of swim training.

Consider that the 10 hours per week of resistance training is coupled with several hours per day of training in the pool. A good guess is that our 200-meter butterfly champion spends 30 hours per week training for an event taking 2-minutes and this estimate may not include time working on technique.

Now consider that interval training designed specifically for a 200-meter butterfly swimmer could take including warm-ups and cooldowns 12 minutes three times per week and that our 200-meter swimmer may want to do one longer swim of 20 - 30 minutes once per week2, for a total swim time of perhaps an hour per week. Consider that people can resistance train for about an hour per week - or less - and become much stronger - reach whatever your genetic potential is for strength - and adapt that strength to swimming3. Consider also that when you become stronger, you also increase your power, endurance, and muscle mass3.

Conceivably, two or at most three hours per week (total of all training!) of scientifically based training can replace training what for many has become essentially a full-time, exhausting job with little time or energy for anything else.

Thus, Newton et al. unwittingly not only showed the lunacy of current training for many champion athletes and the contribution of the ACSM to that lunacy, but have illustrated beyond doubt the central factor behind many champion athletes. Many champion athletes are so genetically gifted that they are champions despite their ridiculous training programs. They are so genetically gifted that they survive seemingly any and all physical assaults.

References

American College of Sports Medicine. Position Stand: Progression models in resistance training for healthy adults. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2002; 34: 364-380.
Tabata I.K., Nishimura F., Kouzaki Y., Hirai F., Ogita, M, Miychi, M., Amamoto K. Effects of moderate intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 1996; 28: 1327-30
Winett RA, Carpinelli RN. Potential Health-Related Benefits of Resistance Training. Preventive Medicine. 2001; 33: 503-513
Thanks to Arty Conliffe for feedback on earlier drafts.

"Nuff said

Says it all.

"Many champion athletes are so genetically gifted that they are champions despite their ridiculous training programs. They are so genetically gifted that they survive seemingly any and all physical assaults."

Dad the thing is most will never accept this. Do you know how many IM's i get about my HSIT routine? The thing is some of these guys have switched from a dozen routines over a few month period looking for the holy grail.
People do not want to hear the truth because it is to basic. They make a very simple task more complicated than it is because they will not accept thier genetic limitations.

RC

RC

who were those swimmers? I have a friend who i grew up with that was a very good swimmer. he was actually wanted to swim in the olympics but wasn't good enough. the only resistance traing he rarely ever did with his coaches was occasionally swim with some kind of weighted vest on,swim with bands attached to him while someone was holding them. and tread water holding a weight.

I think that Genetics card is used way to much to make excuses. Granted elite athletes are born, for bodybuilding you either have the structure or not, not everyone can the best or a be pro. not everyone can be massive.

but mostly every male in good health should EASILY be able to bench 315 or more. EASILY squat 4 plates per side with a lil bit of hard work. and be able to look good for what they were given. yet most gym goers can't even do that. And i know for sure that its not b/c of genetics.

and there is no way you will every get optimal results training 1 hour or less a week.

Conan21 said:
who were those swimmers? I have a friend who i grew up with that was a very good swimmer. he was actually wanted to swim in the olympics but wasn't good enough. the only resistance traing he rarely ever did with his coaches was occasionally swim with some kind of weighted vest on,swim with bands attached to him while someone was holding them. and tread water holding a weight.

I think that Genetics card is used way to much to make excuses. Granted elite athletes are born, for bodybuilding you either have the structure or not, not everyone can the best or a be pro. not everyone can be massive.

but mostly every male in good health should EASILY be able to bench 315 or more. EASILY squat 4 plates per side with a lil bit of hard work. and be able to look good for what they were given. yet most gym goers can't even do that. And i know for sure that its not b/c of genetics.

and there is no way you will every get optimal results training 1 hour or less a week.

I agree to some degree with what you are saying. Its RC said above about guys looking for the holy grail and getting advice from the genetically gifted guys and thinking "if I do what he does I'll look like him"

I think average guy can with out question look good, strong in shape, etc. But this is where hard work and conisistancy pay off.

Good read.

gym goers can't even do that. And i know for sure that its not b/c of genetics.

and there is no way you will every get optimal results training 1 hour or less a week.[/QUOTE]

i like 2/12 hour per week myself ;) :D .the best shape i was in,202lbs at 5%BF i was repping 315 for sets of 8 on the inclne (i do flat bench(kinda pointless for BB IMO,but they are like assholes-everybody has one) ) leg press 14 plates for set of 8-10(no squats since a back injury in 2000 and then 2 major car wrecks in 2003 and 2005-niether of them my fault(before that 495 for sets of 8-10).

well i'm headed back to the gym for a long awaited return:D 8months out 1 month back then 8 months out.god has it SUCKED!!.well time to get back in gear:eek: :D

leap

Many good points, all!

Yeah, I'd agree that the average guy, or gym-goer could look/perform better than they do.

Bench 315? Squat 405? Maybe, but I've seen a LOT of guys in gyms over the years for whom even that will probably never happen. I will say that almost everyone might be able to bench 225 for a few reps, or squat 315 for a few IF they work at it consistantly.

What gets tiresome is the constant notion that genetics plays little/no part in creating results, and that somewhere out there exists the perfect drug, training, diet, or combination of the three routine that will take anyone willing to work hard enough to championship status.

i agree that it won't happen for alot of people. but i'm saying they are probably capable of it.

my point is that. i don't agree with saying its all genetics. you either have it or don't. it doesn't matter how u train. your genetics will cary you to your training fate reguardless how ever you choose. if your not gaining strength, the only reasons are b/c your not eating enough, your overtraining, or ur genetics just suck.

a 315 single on bench and 405 single on squat is not that much weight. yet 315 is looked at as big weight in gyms.

when i helped train a few of the kids on the local highschool football team. alot of the kids were benching near/over 300 and squatting near/over 400. and these were 11th graders. not even seniors. and i though they looked pretty good for high shoolers.

so IMO a 315 bench for an adult who takes training serious is an easy task if 17 year olds who eat like trash can do it. considering they train properly and not blame it all on genetic limitiations.

Last edited:
Champions are born and made. You can't have one without another. Another huge factor in this equation is how this kid grew up. Did he grow up with a hard life? Did he grow up with a single parent? Did he grow up having everything and not having to work for anything in his life? Did he grow up in a abusive household. All these have to be factored in for ONE reason. DRIVE! You are not born with DRIVE. You pick up on this early in your young days alive. You can have all the talent in the world but without DRIVE and FIGHTING your way through tough times in life then I'll pick someone with less talent and that has more heart then anyone any time of the day. For example....Dorian Yates didn't have the best looking body in the world but his DRIVE and HEART was what make him so good. How did he become so DRIVEN? Early in his day he had a hard life and he made the decision that he wanted to be the best at something and he found his love. I highly disagree that champions are born.....

I think the point is that there is no special way to train, no special supplements, no amazing steroid combo, etc that is going to make a person with crappy genetics an amazing athlete. Either you have what it takes or you don't. As for Dorian, yes, aesthetically, maybe his body wasn't perfect. But, what he did have was a genetic predisposition to gain massive amounts of muscle and get drier than anyone I've ever seen. Those genetic qualities mixed with his "drive" is what made him a champion. How many average people in the gym do you really believe could do EXACTLY what he did (diet, supplements, juice, etc) and get the same results he got? My guess would be MAYBE 1 in 10,000.

1 out of 1 million......with out question...his drive was up there with Ronnie's

Genetics

you have a much greater probability of being the best if
you have superb genes. its without question. But has there ever been
bodybuilders with lesser genes beat bodybuilders with better genes.
has there ever been a powerlifter with less genetic make up out lift someone
with superb genes? has there ever been a football team outplay an opposing team whose members had better genetics. ABSOLUTELY.

did Lou Simmons have the best genetics?
or did alot of his success come from his application to training?

if a guy has been benching 300 lbs for a long time. and brings that up to 400 from changing training methods is that because of genetics or is b/c of what he did?

if a guy doesn't have the genetic makeup to look like Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman, what should he do to be the best that he could be? or doesn't it matter b/c whatever his genetics allow, he'll end up getting there?

if Dorian yates gains were b/c of his genetics,juice, maniac mentality(drive), why would anyone model what they do after him in any way shape or form since it was all b/c of his genetics in the first place?

very good article, and good read.. genetics is what it takes to get to the top of the sport, look some guys take 1 gram of test and are awesome while others are are taking all kinds of concoctions and still not reaching them and are far behind. Drive and dedication will get you far, but to the top of the pros? it may not happen.the same thing applies to other sports too, others will train more and harder but just cant reach those top players like kobe bryant in basketball for example

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131