over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

BCAA's vs. EAA's

Yep, this has been known for many years, which is why I have consistently recommended leucine ONLY....never BCAA's.

In fact, new research shows that consuming all 3 BCAA's (leucine, isoleucine, valine) will actually REDUCE leucine's muscle building effect, while possibly causing further reductions in insulin sensitivity.

According to all the research that has been done over the last 5 years, the best way to use aminos is to use leucine at timed intervals as an mTOR booster (simulator of protein synthesis), while using EAA's solely as another form of building blocks.

BCAA's appear to have no place in a bodybuilder's amino acid regimen.

Let me clarify this statement above, as I did not add context when I posted it. When I said "no place", I was NOT saying that isoleucine or valine provide no benefits or that they should never be used in a bodybuilder's program at all. Obviously, as two of the 7 EAA's, both aminos acids are required just to build muscle, not to mention all the other benefits they provide. My comment was solely in reference to the stimulation of mTOR driven protein synthesis. When this is the goal, using leucine alone is superior. Given the context of the greater discussion, I thought my comment was self-explanatory, but upon re-evaluation I realized that it could easily be taken the wrong way. Hence, the clarification.

Both isoleucine and valine provide many benefits, particularly isoleucine (from a bodybuilding standpoint). Most notably, isoleucine has been shown to enhance insulin signaling, increase Glut-4 mobilization, and increase glucose uptake into muscle tissue--all valuable effects for a bodybuilder.

Last edited:
Let me clarify this statement above, as I did not add context when I posted it. When I said "no place", I was NOT saying that isoleucine or valine provide no benefits or that they should never be used in a bodybuilder's program at all. Obviously, as two of the 7 EAA's, both aminos acids are required just to build muscle, not to mention all the other benefits they provide. My comment was solely in reference to the stimulation of mTOR driven protein synthesis. When this is the goal, using leucine alone is superior. Given the context of the greater discussion, I thought my comment was self-explanatory, but upon re-evaluation I realized that it could easily be taken the wrong way. Hence, the clarification.

Both isoleucine and valine provide many benefits, particularly isoleucine (from a bodybuilding standpoint). Most notably, isoleucine has been shown to enhance insulin signaling, increase Glut-4 mobilization, and increase glucose uptake into muscle tissue--all valuable effects for a bodybuilder.

Always appreciate your posts man

They have two completely different roles. Leucine, which is one of the three BCAA's, is the primary simulator of protein synthesis, while EAA's are the building blocks used for muscle growth. Without leucine's stimulatory signal, the other EAA's are essentially worthless.

Of course, we consume in leucine any time we eat a complete protein source, but research has shown it takes about 4.5 grams of leucine, administered in bolus form and rapidly absorbed, to maximally stimulate protein synthesis. We can't accomplish this with traditional whole food protein sources, such as red meat, eggs, etc. We need to consume leucine in its purified form in order to achieve this...although hydrolyzed whey is also an effective alternative due to its high leucine content and rapid digestibility.

But, if your just looking to maximize protein synthesis without having to consume all the other aminos in whey protein hydrolysate, purified leucine is the only way to accomplish this.

Yes I do realize this. Although I should have stated that I would assume leucine would be included in the amino mixture no matter what because of its role in protein synthesis signalling. I was implying that BCAAs cover the bases but if someone feels like they are missing something for some reason then to just include the EAAs on top

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws