over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Being Big Fat and Muscular...young-to-old and dead

bigshadow

Banned
So the Trey Brewer thread stirred up a lot of controversy...and I don't think its right to make Trey a poster child as some of us have done. There are lots of big, fat, and muscular guys out there...in every town and every corner of the globe. There are also a lot of fat guys out there with no muscle. lol.
Like some have eluded to, Powerlifters look much worse in the offseason than bodybuilders and compete with much more bodyfat (the big boys anyway).

So let's not try to trash or make an example out of Trey...who obviously is a good guy from some of the testimony in that thread.

What most of the veterans are trying to say to the younger guys is that living your life BIG, FAT, and MUSCULAR will result in an early death and as Phil has said...is not living the lifestyle of a bodybuilder. Get Big or Die Trying right? Well...I know a few guys who "Died Trying." Good guys. Nice Guys. Guys who were passionate, loving, and left families behind early in life...the ones that come to mind were 280+.

So guys(and Vet's)...let's try to make this less subjective and more objective for our young readers and identify the health risks.

This is by no means a complete list of health risks so you guys feel free to add to this list.

1.Long term AAS Abuse
a. Physical
1. Bad Lipid Profiles
2. Increased BP from both Bloating and the compounds themselves
3. Liver Damage from Orals
4. Increased Cortisol Levels from possible side effects like sleep deprivation, etc...
5. Possible Prostate or Testicular Cancer Rate Increases

2. Carrying Excessive Weight
a. Excessive BMI- A BMI of 50 gives a 250% Increased Chance of Dying Each Year vs. a Normal BMI. What about BodyFat % I hear you ask...
According to studies my physician cited to me, Football players who are superbly conditioned but overweight have an average life expectancy of 54. Current male average is 76. It doesn't matter if your carrying excess fat or muscle...the heart still has to work harder.

b. Risk of Type II Diabetes

c. Hyper Tension and High Blood Pressure

d. Congestive Heart Failure

e. Sleep Apnea

I think its helpfull to look at this picture in terms of "Risk." Then begin to offer advice on how to manage that risk or let the reader decide if the reward outways the risk.

Feel free to contribute and add or subtract as you see fit.

a. Excessive BMI- A BMI of 50 gives a 250% Increased Chance of Dying Each Year vs. a Normal BMI. What about BodyFat % I hear you ask...
According to studies my physician cited to me, Football players who are superbly conditioned but overweight have an average life expectancy of 54. Current male average is 76. It doesn't matter if your carrying excess fat or muscle...the heart still has to work harder.

Holly smokes 54??!! That's insane, I never heard that before. My Dr. was just lecturing me on my BMI, I thought he was full of manure, I thought that only counted if you were fat. Guess not.

Very true Shadow. When you are young you tend to think that you are invincible. As you live life and get perspective, you realize that is not true. And what you do when you are young can very much effect what kind of quality of life you will have later in life.

Aspirin

Aspirin. thinning the blood a little makes it easier for the heart to pump. I just read a current study where test subjects who took aspirin in the EVENING (baby aspirin size) lowered their systolic pressure measurably. The same effect was not seen in subjects who took the same dose during the day.

An aspirin at night keeps the reaper out of sight. ;)

Aspirin. thinning the blood a little makes it easier for the heart to pump. I just read a current study where test subjects who took aspirin in the EVENING (baby aspirin size) lowered their systolic pressure measurably. The same effect was not seen in subjects who took the same dose during the day.

An aspirin at night keeps the reaper out of sight. ;)
good shit.

do you think it helps when i take it with my eca stack??

lol.

no but in all seriousness.... im going to start doing that. i dont have much of a long life ahead regardless. but if i can extend it just a little by doing something so easy and simple..i might as well...my body could definitely use some TLC

I had a whole host of medical red flags at my heaviest, even acid reflux, they all went away when i lost the weight, my doctor said I had the blood pressure and organs of an 80 year old, at 17 years old. and being obese even if you have muscle permanantley alters your insulin sensitivity, even when you lose the weight, I will always have insulin resistance, and I struggle with it on a dialy basis

It is not just being heavy, eating to much in a single sitting especialy fat, Is very dangerous, and most people dont realise this. It can cause damage to the heart, your body needs time to digest a meal, things like plaque build up over time, gorging is very dangerous and turn s your heart into a ticking time bomb, and you never know until it is to late.

It is important to seperate ones meals instead of gorging, and things like fiber from real food are very important for preventing cholesterol and plaque build up, the more you eat the more fibre you need. Every meal should incorparate some type of greens.

Nothing including, asprin and other medications, will save you from abusing your body over time

Last edited:
I had a whole host of medical red flags at my heaviest, even acid reflux, they all went away when i lost the weight, my doctor said I had the blood pressure and organs of an 80 year old, at 17 years old. and being obese even if you have muscle permanantley alters your insulin sensitivity, even when you lose the weight, I will always have insulin resistance, and I struggle with it on a dialy basis

It is not just being heavy, eating to much in a single sitting especialy fat, Is very dangerous, and most people dont realise this. It can cause damage to the heart, your body needs time to digest a meal, things like plaque build up over time, gorging is very dangerous and turn s your heart into a ticking time bomb, and you never know until it is to late.

It is important to seperate ones meals instead of gorging, and things like fiber from real food are very important for preventing cholesterol and plaque build up, the more you eat the more fibre you need. Every meal should incorparate some type of greens.

Nothing including, asprin and other medications, will save you from abusing your body over time
bro fat doesn't clog arteries or mess up your heart. simple sugars, spiked insulin levels, and bad cholesterol levels do that.

gorging is fine, too. just gorge on things like broccoli and vegetable stir fry's... :D :D :D

So the Trey Brewer thread stirred up a lot of controversy...and I don't think its right to make Trey a poster child as some of us have done. There are lots of big, fat, and muscular guys out there...in every town and every corner of the globe. There are also a lot of fat guys out there with no muscle. lol.
Like some have eluded to, Powerlifters look much worse in the offseason than bodybuilders and compete with much more bodyfat (the big boys anyway).

So let's not try to trash or make an example out of Trey...who obviously is a good guy from some of the testimony in that thread.

What most of the veterans are trying to say to the younger guys is that living your life BIG, FAT, and MUSCULAR will result in an early death and as Phil has said...is not living the lifestyle of a bodybuilder. Get Big or Die Trying right? Well...I know a few guys who "Died Trying." Good guys. Nice Guys. Guys who were passionate, loving, and left families behind early in life...the ones that come to mind were 280+.

So guys(and Vet's)...let's try to make this less subjective and more objective for our young readers and identify the health risks.

This is by no means a complete list of health risks so you guys feel free to add to this list.

1.Long term AAS Abuse
a. Physical
1. Bad Lipid Profiles
4. Increased Cortisol Levels from possible side effects like sleep deprivation, etc...

e. Sleep Apnea

I think its helpfull to look at this picture in terms of "Risk." Then begin to offer advice on how to manage that risk or let the reader decide if the reward outways the risk.

maybe i misunderstood but all this also applies even if your lean. lets not confuse being lean with being healthy. i also do not believe in the bmi chart, i believe cardiovascular health is the determining factor. i have a 63 year old dad who is all of 5'4" tall and is damn near 200lb but is in very good cardiovascular shape. cycled damn near his whole life and now is on doctor prescribed hrt at 250mg per week. he does aerobic running on the tread mill (walk, jog, run, repeat) his bmi is very high yet all his blood work and various stress tests show zero health problems. i believe you can be big and be healthy, it all comes down to cardio. i believe dante (dogcrapp) is 100% correct in his cardio recommendations while getting bigger.

My father is a 57 y/o, retired, 265 lbs., fat-ass, couch potato with better blood pressure and cholesterol then me, although my bf is 1/3rd his and I'm 1/2 his age. Did I mention he eats fried and fast foods, pounds coffee and smokes cigars daily?

My mother has high blood pressure and bad cholesterol, so so do I...

maybe i misunderstood but all this also applies even if your lean. lets not confuse being lean with being healthy. i also do not believe in the bmi chart, i believe cardiovascular health is the determining factor. i have a 63 year old dad who is all of 5'4" tall and is damn near 200lb but is in very good cardiovascular shape. cycled damn near his whole life and now is on doctor prescribed hrt at 250mg per week. he does aerobic running on the tread mill (walk, jog, run, repeat) his bmi is very high yet all his blood work and various stress tests show zero health problems. i believe you can be big and be healthy, it all comes down to cardio. i believe dante (dogcrapp) is 100% correct in his cardio recommendations while getting bigger.

Yes Edge. That is what I was trying to say. The risks are still greater whether you are lean or fat.
And of course we all know the person who is defying the odds...doesnt mean the risks are still not there.

1.Long term AAS Abuse
a. Physical
1. Bad Lipid Profiles

e. Sleep Apnea

A RARE glimpse of sanity in a world obsessed with being as "big" as possible!

Nice post!

Made my mistakes with going the bigger is better route. Plus had some personal reasons. Went up to 237 thinking, Man that will help! WRONG! Now there isn't anything wrong with that if done properly. I just remember the hours and hours of cardio getting ready for a last show (3 hours a day). That's why I tried staying as close to 200lbs. for trimming down this time. I would rather lose 25lbs. than 60lbs.!

Now you guys got me worried. Last week had a real bad stomach
virus that put me in the hospital. Had Xrays, Cat scans and EKG
done. Well Doctor told me EKG came out abnormal and need to
follow up with stress test. Scary part, I'm 51 and weigh 278lbs.
the only thing I ever did was cycle test for a year that's it. So
take heed to these words. Doctor said it may not be that
serious but I am scared. To add I was 10lbs heavier before the
virus.

Last edited:
Bottom line is if you are competing and trying to get to the size need be to be real serious you aren't going to do that and be real healthy period.

I just think there is a line, competing or not and if you're not you can be healthy.

and by competing I don't mean mr. joe blow I mean at a national level.

bro fat doesn't clog arteries or mess up your heart. simple sugars, spiked insulin levels, and bad cholesterol levels do that.

gorging is fine, too. just gorge on things like broccoli and vegetable stir fry's... :D :D :D

MY explanation was A VERY SIMPLE one and I left out many steps(no the actual fat you eat does not DIRECTLY clog arteries, but it does cause your brain through its many feed back loops, into clogging your arteries(this is what has been shown most likely), I am not one that likes to argue but I feel this is a very dangerous misconception

My father was a neuroscience researcher at princeton, and onething he always made very clear is just how little we really know, about the human body, people that have these definitive answeres to why things work are not using science they are trying to sound smart. They may not know why, but studies are VERY definitive(through the process of repetition that, saturated fat, when ingested in a single sitting in a large amount(saturated fat in itself is possibly even healthy in proper amounts) has a very strong correlation with plaque build up, plaque build up has a VERY strong correlation with heart disease(this has been studied in humans and animals). Any one that tells you they know the exact process by which this works is absolutley lying to you or themselves, the brain uses feedback loops with the organs to deal with everything you ingest slightly differently, This is a VERY Complex process, and not so simple like people like to point out. WE may not know how things work but through the process of repetiton of study after study if you are consuming alot of saturated fat it is a safer bet to spread this out over many meals and it is likely that consumption of fiber is also helpful.

Some of the people on this site are VERY BIG, some of them are among the largest people on the planet, they are also some of the (nicest people I have talked to btw) with the amount they consume even of real wholesome food it is VERY important to seperate their meals. I am just agreeing with most of the people here that people are going overboard, and some of the younger athletes need to take better care of their health
"gorging" is not fine and should be kept to a minimum especially when high fat foods are involved

Last edited:

problem is most sports require a do or die attitude.push till you cant and then push some more. starve 25 lb off in 2 days. double sessions in 100 degree heat with a helmet on. and thats just high school.
had a friend, 22 yr old die of a heart attack. he was a wrestler and cut wt in a bad way for a long time. used ripped fuel to not sleep,study and still train. one practice he sprinted from the field to the school..colapsed....dead at 22 of a heart attack. no warning signs. so it doesnt take 50 yr to finaly see effect of abuse on the body. its not just drug abuse, or eatig bad nor being over wt. just abuse period! push hard enough and you may just die tomorow.
god bless
lucian

R.I.P. Jim Quinn (my friend not the bber.):(

Made my mistakes with going the bigger is better route. Plus had some personal reasons. Went up to 237 thinking, Man that will help! WRONG! Now there isn't anything wrong with that if done properly. I just remember the hours and hours of cardio getting ready for a last show (3 hours a day). That's why I tried staying as close to 200lbs. for trimming down this time. I would rather lose 25lbs. than 60lbs.!

same for me.....I'm done letting myself get really out of shape. Losing 25 pounds is easy, losing 50 sucks.

I hear ya on that, plus there aren't enough movies, music or TV to watch 3 hours a day!!!! LOL! I end up talking to myself .... and answering .... scary!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws