over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bench press form question

Designbuilt

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
My younger brother has a very strange and bad habbit. Maybe someone on here has seen something like this and knows how to remedy it.

When he Benches, usually once he gets over 225, he stops at the bottom and pauses, I mean a long pause, then he pushes the weight up about an inch and takes about 5 bounces, right when I'm about to move in to take the weight, he somehow pushes out anywhere from 7-15 complete reps depending on the weight!

What in the hell is that about? He says that it's a bad habbit and badly wants to stop it. Has anyone here ever seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have never heard of this and I am not a trainer. However, I would think if he can do that, the weight is too light. Move up to a weight he cant "play" with.

A long pause ... bounce ... then rep out like that, its too light.

Also, if he enjoys benching he should be able to quit doing that crap b/c if he keeps it up it will lead to injury.

Pec tears are notorious on flat benchers who increase weight with poor form/technique.

If he is bouncing 225 when that weight is on the down bounce, how much weight is it really now transferred to his weak spot...be it muscle or joint.

Keep it up and you wont have to worry about fixing it a major injury will fix the bounce, it wont happen after that, he wont be benching!

?

does he do it every set? I do the same thing on first mid light set, but I don't bounce.. I bring weight down to chest, do partial lifts about 5 or 6, then move weight up fuirther and repeat, and so on.. but I do it to really stretch my front delts.. my shoulders stay pretty tight and I have to get a good sretch to prevent injury.. just curius.. ask if he hurts or has a pinching in shoulder when he brings weight down, the habit could be him hurting and not telling you, out of pride...

My younger brother has a very strange and bad habbit. Maybe someone on here has seen something like this and knows how to remedy it.

When he Benches, usually once he gets over 225, he stops at the bottom and pauses, I mean a long pause, then he pushes the weight up about an inch and takes about 5 bounces, right when I'm about to move in to take the weight, he somehow pushes out anywhere from 7-15 complete reps depending on the weight!

What in the hell is that about? He says that it's a bad habbit and badly wants to stop it. Has anyone here ever seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

I see that from alot of people, mostly in the past. They use to think it pumps up the muscle qucikly. I personally don't bench press, I will take dips, hammer strength, and dumbells anytime over bench.

First off thanks for answering. Secondly, he doesn't do it on purpose. It's alsmost as if he misses the lift, in fact he does, then he bounces it to gain momentum then bangs out about 10 reps in some cases. But at least 7.

I find that odd as hell! Than I tell him not to do that, because it can cause injury or at the very least he can get more reps in by not pausing, he said that he tries, but he thinks it's a mind thing at this point.

He does it in the Decline BP as well.

Yep sounds like he's started doing it to gain momentum as a way of cheating the weight back up and has made a bad habit of it, not a very good idea it's best to try and keep a steady tension on all muscles involved while doing any lift and pausing or bouncing won't do that.

First off thanks for answering. Secondly, he doesn't do it on purpose. It's alsmost as if he misses the lift, in fact he does, then he bounces it to gain momentum then bangs out about 10 reps in some cases. But at least 7.

I find that odd as hell! Than I tell him not to do that, because it can cause injury or at the very least he can get more reps in by not pausing, he said that he tries, but he thinks it's a mind thing at this point.

He does it in the Decline BP as well.

Maybe take bench out of the training program and put in floor press where he can't touch his chest?

maybe have him use a bent bar where he has to judge the lowest part of the movement without touching chest...the bar people use for shrugs

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Cptinsomnia
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws