over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

bench press

grimstat

Registered
How come when some people bench they bring the bar down to their chest and some people bring it less than half way down? What is the difference?

some people care more about others looking at how much weight they have on the bar then getting a quality movement.

i see powerlifters do it sometimes, but its rare. Odds are its an ego lift...

some people care more about others looking at how much weight they have on the bar then getting a quality movement.

So you would agree getting the full range of motion is better.

yes. I personally go to tap my chest and stop a little short of lockout, so i guess its not a full motion :p

The lower half of the movement is where your chest is most involved,sooo if working chest is goal bring to chest.Never been a fan of partial reps,just my opinion.

you are clueless:(

you are clueless:(

To each his own i guess. I didnt say it didnt have its place, as ive seen powerlifters at my gym that i respect do it (although they use wood blocks) but id say from what IVE SEEN, more often then not its a guy just trying to do much, much more weight then he can handle, and usually has his buddy pulling on the bar for the few inches he lowers it.

The lower half of the movement is where your chest is most involved,sooo if working chest is goal bring to chest.Never been a fan of partial reps,just my opinion.

What???:confused:

To each his own i guess. I didnt say it didnt have its place, as ive seen powerlifters at my gym that i respect do it (although they use wood blocks) but id say from what IVE SEEN, more often then not its a guy just trying to do much, much more weight then he can handle, and usually has his buddy pulling on the bar for the few inches he lowers it.

if you dont know.....then why comment???
you just make yourself sound like an idiot

if you dont know.....then why comment???
you just make yourself sound like an idiot

haha wow, i didnt know my comment would cause somebody to get so offended. Its not like i told the guy 'no, dont ever do that'. Just stating what IVE noticed when i see guys do it.

If you took the time to comment on my response, and you obviously have a strong opinion on the subject, can you answer the question asked cause id like to know as well. (this wasnt sarcasm or trying to start a fight. Just the only way i could word it i guess)

How come when some people bench they bring the bar down to their chest and some people bring it less than half way down? What is the difference?

OK, here is my humble yet I feel solid postion on this ....

As for powerlifting using blocks, yes there is a reason. Depending upon their program, they use stages of depth to prepare the muscle to maximize its full potential for a meet. Some also do this with squats and deadlift.

For those just training there are reasons. Bringing it less than halfway down, I have no idea.

For those leaving 3-4 inches, it keep the focus mainly on chest, not allowing the front delts to activate and take over and also saves on your tie ins.

I, myself, do not do a full movement, stopping short of touching the chest and feeling it out as to not activate the shoulders. depends on ones personal body mechanics. If I am working chest, I am working chest. Shoulders are moves all to their own.

That being said, what others have said can be true, it might be an ego trip. As for me, I can get more weight up with full range of motion, but it defeats the purpose unless training for powerlifting.

Again, just my opinion. Hope this answers your question with a little reasoning.

I would go down to the point where your upper arm about forms a 90 degree angle with your chest. If you take your elbows down too far it will shift most of the stress onto your shoulders and that's how I used to get overtrained/strained rotator cuff. Once I stopped going past that and touching my chest, my shoulder pain was gone.

I agree with HS. I think the anteriors take over for maybe the first couple inches in my experience. I personally can just do more weight going all the way down because its how ive always done it, and to me the extra weight i can use is more important then trying to avoid your shoulders taking any part. I figure its a compound movement for a reason.

I hear ya on the 'i work shoulders out separately' though. Again, just like you were saying, my PERSONAL HUMBLE OPINION BECAUSE OF WHAT IVE FOUND OUT WORKS FOR ME is i just avoid anterior work when i do my shoulders. Since ive cut down on shoulder work (and yeah i know its probably mainly cause i was massively overtraining them :p ) theyve made great gains.

To each his own with with it IMO.

Thanks for the clarification as far as powerlifters go too hottsauce.

OK, here is my humble yet I feel solid postion on this ....

As for powerlifting using blocks, yes there is a reason. Depending upon their program, they use stages of depth to prepare the muscle to maximize its full potential for a meet. Some also do this with squats and deadlift.

For those just training there are reasons. Bringing it less than halfway down, I have no idea.

For those leaving 3-4 inches, it keep the focus mainly on chest, not allowing the front delts to activate and take over and also saves on your tie ins.

I, myself, do not do a full movement, stopping short of touching the chest and feeling it out as to not activate the shoulders. depends on ones personal body mechanics. If I am working chest, I am working chest. Shoulders are moves all to their own.

That being said, what others have said can be true, it might be an ego trip. As for me, I can get more weight up with full range of motion, but it defeats the purpose unless training for powerlifting.

Again, just my opinion. Hope this answers your question with a little reasoning.

I agree! But I agree with shawn in the begining of this post also. Most guys that are coming down under half way or less are just doing it to cheat the movement and do more weight because they can't possibly do it full range. They also never show any kind of improvement. Every guy i see doing this has no clue about trainig. If you ask them why they just say this is how you bench. For most it is just an ego thing. These are the same guys that tell how much there bench goes up all the timem and bench 3 times a week. LOL

Last edited:
I've actually seen more the opposite of what was originally mentioned. Guys on Flat DB Presses (100+ LB each) only pushing 6-8". I figured it was to keep the pressure on the chest instead of temporarily offloading to the Triceps...

Blows me away to see guys pressing that high... I've only just started pushin' 50s - got a long way to go.

I agree! But I agree with shawn in the begining of this post also. Most guys that are coming down under half way or less are just doing it to cheat the movement and do more weight because they can't possibly do it full range. They also never show any kind of improvement. Every guy i see doing this has no clue about trainig. If you ask them why they just say this is how you bench. For most it is just an ego thing. These are the same guys that tell how much there bench goes up all the timem and bench 3 times a week. LOL

you are also clueless
and ignorant

A board press and a half ass bench press are 2 different things. Board presses work various points of your bench press and your lockout (triceps) depending on the number of boards used.

you are also clueless
and ignorant

Sorry bro not ingnorant or clueless. I been around this for a very long time(22 years). Yes there is a reason that some are doing partials but the ones that im refering to don't have a clue and don't now the first thing about training. I personaly believe in full range of motion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but all you've said now is that people are clue less. If you have an opinion then put some info down. Maybe it would shed a new light that could help peolpe that are new to this. Not trying to be disrespectful.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear