over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bulking diet with lower carbs and high fats

fitnessmuscle

Registered
I've been wanting to try a little experiment but would like to get some opinions on this , a normal bulking diet macros would look something like 450g carbs with 100g fats , but was thinking of trying say 300g carbs with 250g fats daily , I know that's a big number fats but 75% is coming from healthy fats ,plus no garbage trans fats ,now the calories with the 450 c 100 f would be 2700k between the two ,the other diet 300 c 250 f would be like 3450k for the exact same grams of energy 550 , fats are more then double calories per gram compared to carbs a you know, that's 750k more, now which diet would be more effective in your opinion for bulking and the protein will be kept over 1 gram per pound so there's plenty there, has anyone ever tried something similar like that before , at the end of the day isn't calorie intake more important than macro percentages

If you're in a surplus already, you're not exactly eating low carb, so if you keep fat that high, it's going to be VERY easy for your body to store body fat. In this case, it doesn't matter a whole lot that they're from good sources, they're still going to get stored the same way. There is some validity surrounding separating the two a bit, but mainly if you're in a caloric surplus. If you're cutting, you're burning all the energy, anyway, so it doesn't really matter much. If you're still eating 300g carbs, you're not going to get fat adapted, so your body isn't going to prefer using fat for energy, anyway. Seems like a waste.

^^^^

:rolleyes: Where's your nutritional background come from? Bc thats not how it works....

In the grand schemes of literally a calorie is a calorie, yet the least experience stress about the most advanced applications of diet.
For "Bodybuilding" that fat wont be able to be used for storage glycogen leading to less cellular swelling, but the trade off is more fats are more efficient use of energy and more rapid ATP meaning more perceived energy.
The biggest concern is your fucking lipid profile on 250g of fats bruh rather than it's effect on work capacity of body composition. I'm all for athletes getting a more balance intake of fats:carbs but 300:250 isn't ideal.

If you're in a surplus already, you're not exactly eating low carb, so if you keep fat that high, it's going to be VERY easy for your body to store body fat. In this case, it doesn't matter a whole lot that they're from good sources, they're still going to get stored the same way. There is some validity surrounding separating the two a bit, but mainly if you're in a caloric surplus. If you're cutting, you're burning all the energy, anyway, so it doesn't really matter much. If you're still eating 300g carbs, you're not going to get fat adapted, so your body isn't going to prefer using fat for energy, anyway. Seems like a waste.
Ya I haven't done anything yet just wanted more info , I didn't really know what high fats do physique wise ,but I know carbs play a big part in muscle gain, they are protein sparring, what got my attention was the calorie difference from the same amount of grams ,750 calories is alot more ,the higher carb diet would give me a total of 3300 calories ,while the high fat diet would give me 4150 calories per day, big difference you know and while bulking you want to gain as much weight and size as possible, at least I do anyway, just curious of what results might look like , but I haven't done anything yet

Looks like someone had the same thoughts as I had lol .only my carb intake is much higher than his ,100g carbs bulking is nothing , good find bro

What I do is start off with 1.5g protein and 1/2g fat per pound of body weight. They start adding in carbs.
Start with 50g in the meal before training ,50g during and directly after training in an intra and post workout shake and 50g in the post workout meal.
After a week evaluate where you are heading , if you are not gaining then add 50g carbs to a couple more meals. If the volume of food is such that you have a hard time eating everything then adding in some healthy fats will increase calories while not adding a ton of food volume.
Of course everyone is different.
I've seen people multiply you weight time 17 and that's supposed give you a base calorie intake. So 200lbx16=3200 calories
200lb x 1.25g Protein = 250g = 1000 calories
200lb x .5g fat = 100g = 900 calories
3200 total calories - 1900 fat and protein calories
Results in 1300 calories - 325g carbs

There are dozens of different ways to skin a cat , it boils down to figuring out what works best for you. Some people need a large volume of food and do not , some need alot more calories than other at the same size.

Maybe I'm confused, why do you keep comparing the different cal values?
When you bulk, you are going to have a set maintenance level of calories.
And with that, you can find new macro ratios while still staying at maintenance.

So just like in your first post it's:

300p/450c/100f
OR
300p/112c/250f

Ya I haven't done anything yet just wanted more info , I didn't really know what high fats do physique wise ,but I know carbs play a big part in muscle gain, they are protein sparring, what got my attention was the calorie difference from the same amount of grams ,750 calories is alot more ,the higher carb diet would give me a total of 3300 calories ,while the high fat diet would give me 4150 calories per day, big difference you know and while bulking you want to gain as much weight and size as possible, at least I do anyway, just curious of what results might look like , but I haven't done anything yet

Maybe I'm confused, why do you keep comparing the different cal values?
When you bulk, you are going to have a set maintenance level of calories.
And with that, you can find new macro ratios while still staying at maintenance.

So just like in your first post it's:

300p/450c/100f
OR
300p/112c/250f
Ya bro I don't know where you got that 300 grams protein from lol ,I've never said I run it that high, 1 gram per pound ,I weigh 185lbs ,so the protein is the same either diet ,450g carbs 100g fats in one ,the other 300g carbs 250g fats but protein the same , 300 grams protein I would do if I was cutting not bulking , I'm confused about what you asked me bro ,comparing calorie values ,what do you mean

Man I honestly started doing this recently and feel incredible. Previous bulk was around 550-600g carbs with 80-90g fats. Tired and groggy all day. This time based on a friends experience I tried what you are referring to and I really don't need any caffeine all day, full of energy and the pumps on higher healthier fats is nuts. On around 300 carbs and 160-180 fats. I wish I would have doing this a lot sooner. I feel the weight is also more true weight because im not holding bloat and water from all those carbs.

Man I honestly started doing this recently and feel incredible. Previous bulk was around 550-600g carbs with 80-90g fats. Tired and groggy all day. This time based on a friends experience I tried what you are referring to and I really don't need any caffeine all day, full of energy and the pumps on higher healthier fats is nuts. On around 300 carbs and 160-180 fats. I wish I would have doing this a lot sooner. I feel the weight is also more true weight because im not holding bloat and water from all those carbs.
Ya bro that's what I was looking for, someone who actually tried it so I thank you for that ,also that article the other guy put up about the same topic in 2015 ,lots of very experienced members here had lots of good things to say about the diet

I started at 1.5g pro/1-1.5g carbs/.75g fat all x bodweight. At first was more on lower end on the carbs at first and just roughly had 50 with breakfast, 50 pre shake/50 post shake/50 post meal.

It's difficult to put on fat when you aren't eating fat. Plus, carbs are good at preventing protein breakdown. Fats don't do that as much as carbs do.

Honestly I think your approach is pretty sub optimal.

You want to build lean muscle and your going low protein, moderate carb, high high fat

I'd do high protein, high carb, low or moderate fat.

If you really don't want to eat carbs shift some to fat while keeping calories the same ( math). But not 250g per day.

^^^ :unsure: whaaa ??

Yeah. I mean, personal experience seems to prove that for me. But there's some interesting mechanistic explanations for this as well.

The energy cost of digesting protein, and the inefficiency of converting excess aminos to glucose, makes it nearly impossible for protein to ever cause fat gain.

And as for excess glucose, while it can be converted to fat, there's usually somewhere in the body that it can be stored as glycogen first, but by chance any does get converted to fat, that fat can be burned as energy before it's stored as body fat too, so it's a long chain of events - all of which require energy - for any of it to go to body fat.

It's not impossible, but it's difficult to put on fat when you aren't eating fat.

Yeah. I mean, personal experience seems to prove that for me. But there's some interesting mechanistic explanations for this as well.

The energy cost of digesting protein, and the inefficiency of converting excess aminos to glucose, makes it nearly impossible for protein to ever cause fat gain.

And as for excess glucose, while it can be converted to fat, there's usually somewhere in the body that it can be stored as glycogen first, but by chance any does get converted to fat, that fat can be burned as energy before it's stored as body fat too, so it's a long chain of events - all of which require energy - for any of it to go to body fat.

It's not impossible, but it's difficult to put on fat when you aren't eating fat.
You have no fucking clue what your talking about, best to sit the sidelines on this thread and read and learn.

I've been wanting to try a little experiment but would like to get some opinions on this , a normal bulking diet macros would look something like 450g carbs with 100g fats , but was thinking of trying say 300g carbs with 250g fats daily , I know that's a big number fats but 75% is coming from healthy fats ,plus no garbage trans fats ,now the calories with the 450 c 100 f would be 2700k between the two ,the other diet 300 c 250 f would be like 3450k for the exact same grams of energy 550 , fats are more then double calories per gram compared to carbs a you know, that's 750k more, now which diet would be more effective in your opinion for bulking and the protein will be kept over 1 gram per pound so there's plenty there, has anyone ever tried something similar like that before , at the end of the day isn't calorie intake more important than macro percentages
This is very similar to how I eat when trying to gain. I maintain very well on keto. I also eat all my carbs around workouts. Doing this fat gain is minimal. Insulin sensitivity stays much higher.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear