over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Contest Prep and your relationship

Now I'm going to ask you an honest question, not trying to be a dick but genuinely wondering...

Was it worth it? Like really worth it to where you look back and say that you're okay with the fact you acted like that and had to put your significant other through that?

I could never honestly live with myself doing that, and I can't really think of a valid reason other than making tons of money so my family would be set for life lol...again thats just me don't take it as an insult, no disrespect intended I'm just curious on different people views on their relationships.

Hey bro, no offense taken. My wife knew I competed before we met and when we first started dating(although not living together), I prepped for a show. She was floored on how my body changed and how strict and extreme I was with my diet/training. Since we didn't live together at that time, we only saw each other when we could. Looking back, she made most the effort. Bodybuilding is a very selfish sport, She knew this and was there to support me the best she could. I am very lucky. She knew bodybuilding was my passion and just wanted me to be happy. When the show/prep was over I made sure I made up for lost time. She was getting massages and foot rubs on a daily basis among other things...
Like I said in the above post, there were certain drugs that if I decide to prep again, I will not touch. Or go crazy on the doses as I have in the past. With every prep that I did, I learned what works and what doesn't work with my body/mind.
Getting back to your questions, of course I regret some of the things i said. I love my wife and would never want to hurt her. Was it worth it?? Hmm. Tough question because nothing beats the feeling of standing on stage knowing that you look great and gave everything you have for that moment. Again, very selfish thinking. But at the same time, I knew my wife was just as proud as I was. In the big picture, is competing worth losing your family over? Hell no, that show will come and go. From personal experience, once I get off some of those prep drugs, I'm like a completely different person. I just know that I am lucky enough to have a patient and supportive wife. Shit, every time she gets her period, I always ask her if she is on prep..lol it's that bad. So it goes both ways.

My relationship suffers. I may never compete again because of it. It’s not worth it, I’m not sure if it’s the tren or just long dieting but when I’m on tren I just want to be left alone and I over react on about everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been married 3 times. My first two wives left me during my contest prep. Yes it can be a strain especially with children.

The drugs, dieting and focus needed to place well in comps now...your seriously better off being single. The sacrifices one needs to make (especially around holidays) will allienate you from family, friends, coworkers. Most of these people will label you unsociable, reclusive, obsessed and they're not wrong. Just what it's going to take if you want to obtain a title, bragging rights and a $50 tropy that'll eventually end up in a landfill.

My fiancé and I both competed for a period of about 4 years. I did 2 shows and she did 4 (she had much greater potential then me lol) our first show we did together and it to be honest, was probly the easiest on our relationship and for prep. No bad food in the house, no issues of one eating shitty food while other was in prep and we prepped meals together. Sex life was non existent for about 10 of those 14 weeks but as most competitors know, that usually means nothing at the time. When we did our individual shows, to say the relationship was strained would be an understatement. Competitive bodybuilding can be such a selfish endeavour and it's very hard to see it when your actually in it. The stress, the constant mood swings, hangry attitude towards everything and just the overall atmosphear in the household becomes very cold and seems like the partner is always walking on egg shells. We both decided after she did figure nationals that we'd had enough. It was a great experience but definitely not one id like to relive and I can confidently say the same for her as I know I became a complete prick to not only her but most people who were close to me and it was based solely on something I was choosing to do to myself. Obviously I can't speak for everyone and I'm sure there are people/couples who handle it much better. I just wasn't one of them haha

M18

Definitely affects my relationship. Easily annoyed, constantly busy working, doing cardio, going t gym, prepping food, tanning, grocery shopping, posing in the mirror, shaving body, on and on, you are going 1000 MPH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the middle of a pretty difficult prep, but I'm constantly aware that I'm in a altered state and everything I feel or think must be double checked. There are moments when I say something that I immediately realize is because of the diet and I appologize for. Basically anything I feel that isn't nice I immedately assume is one hundred percent from the prep. This is the only approach that works IMO, probably a good idea when not in prep too ;)

Oh I should mention, this is my forth prep, the first three my wife did with me. We did pretty well dieting together, but it's definitely easier at the end to have someone really supporting you full time and not having to worry about their own diet as well, it's awesome actually. If you are lucky enough to a have someone willing to put up with the silliness of bodybuilding dieting and be supportive too, you are a very lucky person. I look forward to being a super supportive partner for her someday when she is doing a show by herself, I'm going to put as much into it as I put into this prep.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of a pretty difficult prep, but I'm constantly aware that I'm in a altered state and everything I feel or think must be double checked. There are moments when I say something that I immediately realize is because of the diet and I appologize for. Basically anything I feel that isn't nice I immedately assume is one hundred percent from the prep. This is the only approach that works IMO, probably a good idea when not in prep too ;)

Oh I should mention, this is my forth prep, the first three my wife did with me. We did pretty well dieting together, but it's definitely easier at the end to have someone really supporting you full time and not having to worry about their own diet as well, it's awesome actually. If you are lucky enough to a have someone willing to put up with the silliness of bodybuilding dieting and be supportive too, you are a very lucky person. I look forward to being a super supportive partner for her someday when she is doing a show by herself, I'm going to put as much into it as I put into this prep.

Absolutely...I'm very lucky but also tend to feel guilty in that situation because I can't reciprocate the way I should or want to when dieting like that.

:D

Yes it all matters. That said I love this lifestyle and this is what brings me alibe. Without it I woud be dead , I truley feel bodybuilding, competing has saved my life and thats why i do it . I would be depressed without as yes its pushing things, but anything n life it worth doing what you love if you do it safely and have fun

I competed in 33 shows. In the beggening it was pretty hard on my marriage but my lady had patience.
As time went on it did get better you learn to adapt and are a little more aware of being a prick coming on and you try to contain yourself.
With that said it still had its moment, I never carbed depleted and messed around with my sugar levels which also make you irritated I just crused in
With what I was doing.
I’ve seen relationships break up from contest prep
And even tho we dedicate ourselves to the sport and to the thinking I wanna win at any cost you have to ask yourself do you really even if you loose the love of your life.
Bodybuilding is only for a period of time injuries happen
And we get side lined for whatever reason and sooner or later it comes to an end
And what we are left with is memories and if you loose your girl most of wish we had her back
My lady stuck with it with me for the 15 years I was on stage. When I retired from it I still had her and the memories of hell she said she went through at times
It takes a strong women or a dude to with stand the grind one goes through with the dedication and drive at any cost along with ththe mood swings that do come with preparation

Last edited:

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner