over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DC style training

Does DC training involve a weighted stretch or stretch under tension following the working sets?

Yes it does after a given bodypart is done. Its a long stretch that is painful, but doesnt necessarily have to be weighted.

From Dante’s mouth:

Here's the official DC methodology, which is slightly different from Dr. Clay's version:

Say you're getting ready to do barbell military presses. After a few warm-up sets (there's no specific guideline for this, according to SM; just do what you need to do to get your joints and muscles ready to work), you load the bar with a weight you think you can lift 10 times. Do as many reps as you can with perfect form until technical failure, the point at which you can't do another perfect rep.

Put the weight down and take 10 to 15 deep belly breaths. "The deep breaths help supply the body with oxygen and let you partially recover," SM said.

Pick up the weight and do another set of perfect reps until you once again reach technical failure.

Set it down, take 10 to 15 more breaths, and then bang out a few more perfect reps.

Your goal is to do between 11 and 15 total reps. "If you get 15 or more, you know you'll have to increase the weight the next time you do the exercise," SM explained. And if you get fewer than 11, it means you need to either lower the weight or shoot for more reps the next time.

To make it even more brutal, some advanced guys do one static rep to extend the set. Continuing with the shoulder press example, after you set the weight down for the third time, you'd take 10 to 15 more breaths, pick it up, and then hold it in a "power position" (elbows slightly bent), with the muscles under tension for 30 to 60 seconds. But this is only recommended for advanced guys.

Not every exercise uses the rest-pause technique. "For safety reasons, we don't do it on quads, calves, or back-thickness exercises like deadlifts, rack pulls, or bent-over rows," SM said. They do straight sets for those exercises.

Not every rep range is between 11 and 15. On the Widowmaker, for example, you do an all-out set of 20 reps on the squat with a heavy weight.

Even on rest-pause sets, the reps will end up between 20 and 30 for biceps and triceps exercises, and if you switch to dumbbells over barbells or machines on compound exercises, you'll also increase reps.

The reps may be high, but that doesn't mean any aspect of the training is easy. On DC message boards, a regular theme is the need to work hard enough to elicit a positive response from each rep.

Hell just YouTube DC training. The original DC training DVD with Jason Wojo is on there. I remember buying that DVD back in 2006/2007

Last edited:
Butt hurt much? jesus...relax dude.

This entire thread is just saying...EXPLAIN DC TRAINING....not some random "rest pause" shit. DC is rest pause but rest pause is not DC. Please figure that out.

https://www.intensemuscle.com/forum...-read-this-first-and-then-ask-questions-later

please dive into this entire forum before another smart answer is written

Exactly bro. Nobody wants to take the time to read and learn about the system from the actual official source which could takes days, weeks and months. Instead they want to be spoon fed which is almost always incorrect anyway. lol

Man i dont know where to begin.....LOL

Ill try to get to this when i get some time...I just skimmed it

This has been covered several times, but the more I search and read the more confused I get, as the info is kind of everywhere. So I'm going to try to narrow this way down so I can simplify the answers as much as possible.

Let's say I am just doing chest today. What would a typical DC style chest workout look like?

what the heck ill try to make the time now.

I wrote a bunch on the first few pages here. https://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/136884-best-training-splits.html
thats what i like advanced guys to do......people who need overall size pronto would be better off served doing things like everyone on this thread is talking about. Every single top amateur and pro bodybuilder who I took thru the paces I absolutely made them do beginning DC training because its a learned process. You cannot teach that kind of urgency and "going to the well and back" without learning the basics to it

I trained DC for a while and made great gains, or at least to my understanding of DC so I could be wrong here too lmao but here it is;

You pick 1 exercise for Chest, say incline bench press on smitch machine (as you will be going to failure)..

1-2 warm up sets with 135lbs, 15 easy reps or so..

185lbs x 10 reps nice and slow..

225lbs x 8 reps (this is already supposed to be very difficult, not an easy 8)

Take 3 deep breaths and go again for 2-3 reps (you’re dying on these but continue very slowly)

Take 3 more deep breaths and go again 1-2 reps (you’re literally seeing stars and dying)

And if you have someone there to help you, they can assist you on the positive and you do a few more negatives SUPER slow until you literally can’t hold the weight....

Chest workout complete lol...

Yea thats not quite it...

Slowmoe,

Not to offend NEMSZ, but they are incorrect. If you are confused because of the numerous threads and posts acros multiple boards; read this. This is Nate Green's interview with Scott McDonough. This is as straightforward as it's going to get for information in one location.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/how-to-build-50-pounds-of-muscle-in-12-months

I havent read that for a long time....and didnt now but Mcdonough consulted me on that and if i remember right he did a good job

Really because Dante explains it almost exactly as I explained it in his article with Simplyshredded...

As many warm ups as needed. Then work your way up to a weight you can do about 6-8x that’s really heavy and do rest pause your rest pause sets for reps ranging from 12-15. Super slow and you can do negatives at the end if you have someone to help... Complete muscle failure and the point is to progress in weight or reps each workout...

I dont think i ever did an article with simplyshredded to be honest Nemsz

Ummm it was an article/interview of/with Dante Trudel... Soooooooooo....

And he’s given several different layouts of what he would do with a DC split... Maybe it’s not the original but it’s definitely from him unless he can come on here and confirm he never gave that interview...

Literally the only thing I got wrong was instead of 15 breaths I put “3 breaths” lol

OP was asking what a cheat workout would look like DC style...

I wrote the warm up sets and the rest pause.. It’s only one exercise per body part to failure, with rest pause.. Is it not?

i just punched in simply shredded and DC training.....the one that i saw they took from either an interview I did with Flex Magazine or Ironman Magazine. The one i saw looked correct and correctly talked about the 3 failure points of a rest pause set

Well because you threw out the words “just grab a weight and go to failure” etc

Im pretty sure that’s what the guys in the 70’s were doing with their 135lb bench presses for 300 reps lol

And Dante does say that increasing weight is imperative for DC training as more muscle lifts more weight etc...

I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s common sense that older guys not only shouldn’t be DC training, but doing chest and back etc for 30 reps isn’t DC training as it misses the point of increasing weight to gain muscle etc and also, I think LK3 made the point the other day that if you haven’t reached the size you really want by your mid-late 30’s, you’re really starting to play the whole risk/reward factor of gaining size beyond that.. I don’t think it’s intelligent for a 45 year old guy to gain 30lbs of muscle (obviously depending where he’s at) but if he’s a newbie then yea, sure.. But if a guy is 45 y/o say 5’8 200-215lbs around 10-12% I think it would be foolish to try and keep pushing at that age, especially if it’s a hobby.. You’re asking to not only get hurt externally but internally as well...

I think Concreter is another guy (late 40’s? If I remember) who can attest to that who tore his pec doing 405lbs on the bench and now trains higher volume...

See i just dont agree with that.
Bodybuilding is about gaining muscle mass. Everyone and their brother knows I dont like the flat bench press (i believe its not an if but when you tear your pec).
Ive repeatedly told people to raise their rep ranges with age....at 34 is usually the time i raise their rep ranges.

Everyone is always worried about getting hurt in this sport. I am 53 years old man and I still train as heavy as I possibly can in the rep ranges i deem safe. For myself (on work sets) thats 16-24 on rest pauses and 13-16 on straight sets with some few exceptions. If i tear a muscle on a 16 or a 24 rest pause....thats just bad luck man. I dont want 45 year old guys grinding out 5's and never have. I have never gotten how that has gotten so convoluted and confused over the years. I think everyone knows I am all about progressive weights and they automatically think 3's and 5's and 6's......I dont get it.
If you take that exercise today with 50lbs for 20 reps and in 2 years you are doing 150lbs for 20 reps you just gained a boatload of muscle mass there is no doubts about it. Muscle mass comes from progression regardless of the rep range.
Ive said this before and Ill say it again. If you wash up on a deserted island and there is a shoulder press machine on it and you want to get bigger shoulders you can only do one thing and one thing only. You have to keep lifting heavier and heavier for reps in a safe rep range to get larger shoulders. There is nothing else you can do. You can start at 40x20 and go up to 100x20 over time and stay there but you will only get as large at the 100x20 adaption allows you to.......you are going to have to make your way up to 150, 200, and 250 x 20 to get even larger.

Last edited:
i didnt make any comment on training. just trying hard to add size, lots if ifs and and buts but in general.

and constant progression is important regardless of rep range.
i did exactly as dc said for years and really how i trian is just a very modified versin of that to suite injuries and help me to prevent my personal known injury issues.

Just follow Dante on IG and read his shit.

DC really isn’t that hard to understand. Just gotta be smart and listen to your body/CNS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone have any insights on arm training specifically for dc? Grew every body part significantly except for arms. Currently playing around with higher rep ranges and better execution.

Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone have any insights on arm training specifically for dc? Grew every body part significantly except for arms. Currently playing around with higher rep ranges and better execution.

All I’m gonna say is heavy dips work [emoji847]

Dante is a saint for resharing info over and over again from all the years passed.

i just punched in simply shredded and DC training.....the one that i saw they took from either an interview I did with Flex Magazine or Ironman Magazine. The one i saw looked correct and correctly talked about the 3 failure points of a rest pause set

Can’t they get in trouble for that? Lol Either way I’ve read a few of your things, not everything clearly.

See i just dont agree with that.
Bodybuilding is about gaining muscle mass. Everyone and their brother knows I dont like the flat bench press (i believe its not an if but when you tear your pec).
Ive repeatedly told people to raise their rep ranges with age....at 34 is usually the time i raise their rep ranges.

Everyone is always worried about getting hurt in this sport. I am 53 years old man and I still train as heavy as I possibly can in the rep ranges i deem safe. For myself (on work sets) thats 16-24 on rest pauses and 13-16 on straight sets with some few exceptions. If i tear a muscle on a 16 or a 24 rest pause....thats just bad luck man. I dont want 45 year old guys grinding out 5's and never have. I have never gotten how that has gotten so convoluted and confused over the years. I think everyone knows I am all about progressive weights and they automatically think 3's and 5's and 6's......I dont get it.
If you take that exercise today with 50lbs for 20 reps and in 2 years you are doing 150lbs for 20 reps you just gained a boatload of muscle mass there is no doubts about it. Muscle mass comes from progression regardless of the rep range.
Ive said this before and Ill say it again. If you wash up on a deserted island and there is a shoulder press machine on it and you want to get bigger shoulders you can only do one thing and one thing only. You have to keep lifting heavier and heavier for reps in a safe rep range to get larger shoulders. There is nothing else you can do. You can start at 40x20 and go up to 100x20 over time and stay there but you will only get as large at the 100x20 adaption allows you to.......you are going to have to make your way up to 150, 200, and 250 x 20 to get even larger.

I understand completely what you’re saying and it makes sense, I mean, I don’t think I was too far off, though maybe it’s been a while or I read some of your earlier stuff but it seems like you did emphasize a lot on heavy weight and those rep ranges (the whole 10-15 rest pause), it could’ve just been me not reading enough of your stuff to address different situations..

I just feel like I laid it out as basic as possible without going into detail about OP’s particular situation..

But when I disagreed with the lower weight and higher rep range I guess I meant to address it if he was a younger/advanced guy with no injuries... And maybe I was bias towards what I like too :eek:

I hate the thought of high volume (for certain things) as for me not only do I feel like I’m wasting time but my progress is significantly slower than with lower volume and heavier weight...

Just follow Dante on IG and read his shit.

DC really isn’t that hard to understand. Just gotta be smart and listen to your body/CNS

YES. He's been dropping some awesome stuff on Instagram! Really enjoying it.

Hell just YouTube DC training. The original DC training DVD with Jason Wojo is on there. I remember buying that DVD back in 2006/2007

Wojo and an old member here if I remember correctly... bulldog something or other. One of the only BB dvds I've ever bought. I remember reading cycle for pennies in my church family center place (they had internet), around like 17 or 18 years old I think, circa 02ish. Dante influenced me spending all my dishwashing money on ProComplex and training unlike anyone else in the gym lol. Couldn't have found a better start in the game... forces you to train brutally hard and intense. Actually just got back to the two way split after, shit probably 14 years. Forgot how much i loved it. Hopefully spark some new growth...

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonyfits