over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Developing Lower Quads

mgangers

Newbies
Hi Guys,

This is my first real post on this board, I've been lurking for several months, learned quite a bit from all of you, this is a great board.

Anyway, I need help or advise, I been lifting on and off for 10 + years, really seriously for the last 2.5, I've made good progress on my entire body, including upper thighs, I put just over 4 inches on upper quads in the last couple years, the only part that I'm having issues with is my lower thighs, no matter what I do I cant seem to make that area grow, my leg workout looks like this, I do this once per week

1) 5 to 10 minutes on bike
2) 3 sets 15 reps leg extension (warm up)
3) squats all the way down as follow 135 X 15, 225 X 15, 315 X 10, 365 X8, 385 X 6, 405 X 3 to 4 (Have a hard time going all the way down on last set)
4) I use a smith to do leg press (workout at home) 3 sets X 12 reps at 500lbs
5) the I rotate hack squats, walking lunge and smith lunge 3 sets X 8 reps, again all the way down
6) then I finish with either standing leg curls 4 sets X 10 reps superset with sumo DL or lying leg curls 4 sets X 10 reps superset with SLDL

I can barely walk for the next 2 days after leg day

Some stats about me:
I'm 42, 5'-10" 204lbs, 10% BF, as previously said been lifting on-off for 10 years but very seriously for the last 2.5

Any help or advise anyone can offer would be great

Thanks,

MGA

i've found that not going all the way down on things like leg press really hit the lower quads. i still run with the full range though.

Lower Quads

Tough to target, you said you bike. Try biking with very heavy tension staying seated. Not exactly squatting 500lbs, but will certainly hit that part of your leg. Maybe 30 seconds all out effort. 90 seconds extremely light recovery. Do that a few times.

what works for me is feet close together and high on the platform of the legpress. 4 sets of 20reps and useing a full range of motion. I was getting results in about a month just by ADDING THAT

no leg extensions for real not just a warm up. i really feel it in the lower quads. try narrowing your stance on regular squarts or give box squats a try. also heavy deads work for me pretty well. i have never heard of someone trying to add to lower quads. most people lack upper quads. this has been my emphasis as of late

Last edited:
Try this routine
Leg Ext. 3 x 30
Peterson Step Ups(targets VMO) 3 x 20 each leg.
Front Squat 3 x 12 (heels elevated,feet 6-8 inches apart,ATG)
Hack Squats 3 x 10 (feet together,balls of your feet at the bottom of plate)

guys, dont you think targeting the "lower quads" to be impossible????????

i mean, you can pick angles that hit the vmo, or perhaps the lateralis, but you cant hit the lower part of the vmo or lateralis, and the lateralis runs the entire length of the quad....????????

genetic shape characteristics perhaps?????

guys, dont you think targeting the "lower quads" to be impossible????????

i mean, you can pick angles that hit the vmo, or perhaps the lateralis, but you cant hit the lower part of the vmo or lateralis, and the lateralis runs the entire length of the quad....????????

genetic shape characteristics perhaps?????

I agree. It has a lot to do with genetics. Genetics even vary a lot between brothers. My brother has been training partner for over 10 years so we both do the same workouts. While both of us have big upper legs his lower quads look ridiculous and mine are still pretty weak in comparison. Deep back squats, front squats and hacks have helped but there’s only so much you can do.

Way to much volume, why dont you cut it down and try hitting your legs twice a week...and you cant hit lower quads...do you really think you can isolate one part of a quad muscle? Just squat heavy, and let genetics do the rest.

I would do less work give them more rest and use leg extencions for your working sets taking them to failure and beyond.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131