advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Did you actually ever think that what you do is healthy?

Swaglantern

Registered
Forgive the long post, but as the year dwindles down - I thought it would be good to have some perspective. Brokong is being the saddened. I've come across a few posts on here where people are having medical issues, and what not. First, and foremost I hope everyone comes out the other side and rises up like a phoenix! Stay strong brolos!. But to the point. I was never under the impression that bodybuilding was healthy? I remember a few years ago watching this video, and It was Jay Cutler having an interview, and he's walking up some stairs while talking. He basically starts sweating profusely, and straight loses his breath. I mean he seriously can't finish the sentence. This guy MAYBE went up about a flight and a half of stairs, and he's not even 35 yet....anyway - the point I'm trying to make is that when man involves himself in a GOAL ORIENTED endeavor- It's not necessarily about whether its good for you or not. It's about something you want- something you are trying to accomplish, and it's a selfish, vain endeavor-Which is the way it's always been. Do boxers not understand that they may suffer brain damage? Do we think that the guys in the Tour De France who ride a bike 120 miles a day FOR A MONTH in oxygen deprived environments think that it's good for them? Do astronauts sit back and really think to themselves that what they are doing is totally logical? What about the test pilots who died one, after one trying to break the sound barrier? Sooner or later we all have to make decisions based on what we are trying to accomplish in this world....and we have to live with those decisions. If you don't know what you want...Figure it out, and make sure you're prepared for everything that comes along with it because it WILL change your life in one way or another. Ok- I'm off to say some prayers..

P.S. The 350lb lard ass sitting at McDonalds manhandling a Big Mac isn't thinking about how much fatter he can get....I'm certain that isn't his goal...but I could be wrong- so we at least have that.

To the normal eye we look very healthy yes! I remember thinking to myself when i was competing how messed up we really are.We refuse to eat any fats and dirty carbs because they are not good for you but yet we.....
1.Inject items that we have no clue what is in them or were they were made.
2.Put the heart ,liver and kidneys on constant strain
you guys can add to this list this was just 2 that i came up with

Bodybuilding itself is healthy.

Hormone enhanced bodybuilding is another story.

I lifted natural for 30 years and ended up on TRT anyway. Doctors said I probably needed trt 20 years ago. So bodybuilding didn't help or hurt on that part of my health.

I used to run and nearly ruined my knees. I had a bad back problem. Bodybuilding eventually repaired both.

body building is healthy, adding some extra test (trt) can increase your life span, health, vitality... it is the extent that people take it to that make it unhealthy. On gear or not being 250-325lbs is not healthy and a major strain on the body.

The rare occasion I look at bodybuilders competing and they are shredded to the point of ass cheek striations, all I can think is "damn they are so sick and not well right now", just the simple strains the body is under. You read about guys here taking 3-4g of gear a WEEK and have liver problems etc, did they think that was healthy? I say who cares, make your own decisions and live with them.

I think in general it's never good for u if u take things to extreme. Let's take typing for example, type at a high speed day in day out and year after year and u end up with carpal tunnel. A little glass of wine here and there is good for u, but a bottle a day will fry ur liver.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Hormones can be used in a fairly healthy fashion, or they can be abused.

Actually, bodybuilding is not healthy, natural or not. Eating to gain weight reduces life span. They've shown this in scientific literature.

One example...

They've done on in monkeys recently that failed, but I'll still side that the bodybuilding lifestyle is highly conducive to the production of ROS and DNA damage.

"It has been known for some 70 years that restricting the food intake of laboratory rats extends their mean and maximum life span. In addition, such life extension has been observed over the years in many other species, including mice, hamsters, dogs, fish, invertebrate animals, and yeast. Since this life-extending action appears to be due to a restricted intake of energy, this dietary manipulation is referred to as caloric restriction (CR). CR extends life by slowing and/or delaying the ageing processes. The underlying biological mechanism responsible for the life extension is still not known, although many hypotheses have been proposed. The Growth Retardation Hypothesis, the first proposed, has been tested and found wanting. Although there is strong evidence against the Reduction of Body Fat Hypothesis, efforts have recently been made to resurrect it. While the Reduction of Metabolic Rate Hypothesis is not supported by experimental findings, it nevertheless still has advocates. Currently, the most popular concept is the Oxidative Damage Attenuation Hypothesis; the results of several studies provide support for this hypothesis, while those of other studies do not. The Altered Glucose–Insulin System Hypothesis and the Alteration of the Growth Hormone–IGF-1 Axis Hypothesis have been gaining favor, and data have emerged that link these two hypotheses as one. Thus, it may now be more appropriate to refer to them as the Attenuation of Insulin-Like Signaling Hypothesis. Finally, the Hormesis Hypothesis may provide an overarching concept that embraces several of the other hypotheses as merely specific examples of hormetic processes. For example, the Oxidative Damage Attenuation Hypothesis probably addresses only one of likely many damaging processes that underlie aging. It is proposed that low-intensity stressors, such as CR, activate ancient hormetic defense mechanisms in organisms ranging from yeast to mammals, defending them against a variety of adversities and, when long-term, retarding senescent processes."

Last edited:
Short answer,no. But I do the best I can to help make it as "harmless" as possible.

It has the potential to be healthy but I worry about so many things in my life this life is one thing I do control. Never thought of it as healthy oruunhealthy just a way to grow mentally and physically.

Awesome responses - yea I should have clarified, and I reason that there is a difference between weight training and "body building."

say you go to a doctor . you feel fine, yet....you're just not happy with yourself.
he says he'll prescribe a drug to make you feel better....
the side effects include hypertension, negative cholesterol effects, damaged heart, damaged liver, accelerated hair loss, shrunken testicles due to a disrupted endocrine system, breast enlargement with possible lactation, impotence, etc .....
would you take that drug? would you let your son take that drug?

Some issues we are going to have regardless if we partake of the bodybuilding lifestyle or not. Genetics and family history are a huge part of whether or not we have problems. High Blood pressue and type 2 diabetes run in my family. I have high BP but have staved off diabetes. I do have kidney issues however. It is a direct result of letting my blood pressure go for so long unchecked. Fortunately I got it in check before I developed serious issues with my kidneys.

Now, I take bodybuilding and everything that comes with it in moderation so as not to cause myself further harm. I would in no way take the amount of test some guys here take. And while I tried tren back in the day, I would not go near that compound again, ever. Very bad for the kidneys. We can sit here and say the test or tren or whatever caused the high blood pressure and we might be right, however, genetics are a much bigger factor in my opnion.

If I were to take moderate levels of test, ibuprofen, and alcohol, the ibuprofen and alcohol would do more damage to my kidneys than the test. Fact.
The lifestyle in its self is not bad, its going beyond is what makes it bad for us.

People can generally get away with one vice.....eating junk food OR not exercising/staying active OR using steroids OR using recreational drugs. Start combining them and that's when people get into trouble. At least that's my opinion.

The training and how i eat daily...definitely a big + when it comes to health... the drug use...depends on what and how much and for how long.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws