mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Dieting trends and diffrences in the UK and overseas as compared to the US. Chime in!

Jeremy24

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
So I was just watching a Flex Lewis video on youtube and he was talking about how different the supermarkets are in the US and the condiments and stuff that we carry. He was saying that in the UK they don't have crystal light or sugar free jello and low calorie sauces etc.

Anyways it got me wondering

How different are the bodybuilding diets and trends overseas than they are here? Anyone from overseas please chime in as im curious

My fiance lives in Romania and will be here soon. I go there about every 3 months. I see more fresh foods there and not sprayed with pesticides. I get organic eggs and grass fed beef there very easily. A lot of family restaurants there will still make foods from scratch. The food just taste more wholesome, not as many fast food restaurants like you see here. I got a weakness for a chocolate cake they make with Rum though. :D

I'm from the uk and your right regarding the supermarket thing.

I actually buy my food from local markets and get raw milk and eggs from a local farm.

In terms of dieting I think most still follow high carb mod protein low fat.

I don't think the higher fat and protein and carbs around workout time really took off in the uk.

Pork is a common protein source in Russia for bbuilding diets vs. Your staple fish, chicken, beef in usa

So I was just watching a Flex Lewis video on youtube and he was talking about how different the supermarkets are in the US and the condiments and stuff that we carry. He was saying that in the UK they don't have crystal light or sugar free jello and low calorie sauces etc.

Anyways it got me wondering

How different are the bodybuilding diets and trends overseas than they are here? Anyone from overseas please chime in as im curious

Maybe they dnt have em in Wales the sheep shagging Hillbillies but we do in England... lol
Crystal light is a brand name right?
we have Robinson's low sugar squash and every supermarket will have there own brand of low-zero sugar squash...
I have Low sugar and sodium ketchup in my cupboard along with low fat (and full fat) mayo...
He probably didn't understand that sugar free jollo in the US is sugar free jelly over here... we have tons of that too lol
I saw the vid I think your talking about and I thought Wtf flex stop talking poo!
The couple of things I haven't seen is the Ezikial range or similar and that low cal cheese sprinkle stuff Big Ron was adding to his grits... oh and we dnt have grits...

Last edited:
UK - yer were proud to be the fattest country in Europe :( So enough said about the amount of fast food joints we have here!!

As other have already said, I can drive 5 mins from my front door and buy free range fresh eggs, free range pork and beef and raw milk from local farms.

We don't have Crystal light but we do have sugar free fruit squash in just about any flavour you can mention - just add water!

About the only bonus you guys seem to have over ours is when I see you US guys bang on about things like fat free pizzas and fat free chocolate brownies etc - our fat free diet type foods over here are very few and far between! (and yes I no the fat free type foods are crap but im talking about fat free/low fat/ high sugar foods that are ideal for re-feed days!)

Central Europe here. Hahaha. You guys would freak.

In terms of dieting, in prep, people starve more for longer and gut it out. It's widely accepted that prep just sucks. No, they don't lose muscle. They do refeeds, but cals are pretty low during the week or 10 days before the refeed. LOTS of cardio.

As far as food choices.
Upside:
The supermarket food is generally cleaner, no pesticides allowed at all. No Genetically modified anything. Free range eggs come from the farms of relatives. Fresh/Raw milk too. And moonshine! LOL

Downside(s)
As a result of the hyper-control on farming (and a shit tax scheme) food is WAY more expensive than in the US.

You can't get a decent steak. No kidding. It's like they just skin a cow and push it through a band saw. There's no T-Bone, no Porterhouse. If you ask a butcher for Flank steak, they just look at you in dismay.

No Jello, no long grain brown rice, no ezekiel bread. You need to go to a "specialty" shop for the last two. Jello cannot be found anywhere.

The real problem is supplements. We don't have shit here. EVERY supplement is screened for months before being allowed to be sold. Most are rejected or require a script. Basic things. No Melotonin, no NIACIN(!!!), no B5, no glycerol supplements, no 5-HTP, no Glutathione, no NAC...you get the idea. The people in supplement shops have no idea what any of it is.

All need to be ordered from abroad, UK or US. And risk customs.

But, we've got chicken, brocolli, oats, potatoes, Turkey, fish, and multi-vitamins. So it's all good. LOL.

Last edited:
Am in the uk...

We don't have grits or that stuff meddows has pre work out, cream of rice isit?

No esankie bread (or wat ever it's called)

And meat is expensive, I watch man vs food a lot and see the servings of meat restaurants give out and think wtf ha, there is like 400g of meat on that small bun.

I think this is that main reason people bodybuilding in the uk are not very big, it all comes down to the protien, I know lads that juice 2g and only eat about 100g of meat aday and have 3-4 shakes, chicken is around £8 ($13) a kilo in asda (wallmart) for the cheap stuff

Last edited:
You need to remember tho that most of the stuff is different names for the same thing.
Sugar free jello is sugar free jam

Cream of rice I'm certain is rice pudding

Grits are like semolina but quite frankly I bought some in New York and found them dry as anything.

Or jello might be jelly??

I think Americans call jam jelly??

Now I've confused myself

Last edited:
You need to remember tho that most of the stuff is different names for the same thing.
Sugar free jello is sugar free jam

Cream of rice I'm certain is rice pudding

Grits are like semolina but quite frankly I bought some in New York and found them dry as anything.

Or jello might be jelly??

I think Americans call jam jelly??

Now I've confused myself

Lol yea cream of rice is rice pudding, jello is jelly, jelly is jam (pb and jam sandwich), grits is its own thing...
chips are crisps, fries are chips, beef patty is burger...
can't think of any more off the top of my head

Lol yea cream of rice is rice pudding, jello is jelly, jelly is jam (pb and jam sandwich), grits is its own thing...
chips are crisps, fries are chips, beef patty is burger...
can't think of any more off the top of my head

Creme of rice isn't rice pudding is ground rice. I make my own with a coffee grinder. Add boiling water put in microwave fire a few minutes and it comes out like porridge. Add some flavoured whey protein and our real nice. I use it pre workout due to how easy it is to digest and the fact it does not boat you. If you ever need a debloat day make all your meals cream of rice with olive oil and chicken breast or some other lean protein. Let's you hit big macro numbers while dropping a load of bloat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Creme of rice isn't rice pudding is ground rice. I make my own with a coffee grinder. Add boiling water put in microwave fire a few minutes and it comes out like porridge. Add some flavoured whey protein and our real nice. I use it pre workout due to how easy it is to digest and the fact it does not boat you. If you ever need a debloat day make all your meals cream of rice with olive oil and chicken breast or some other lean protein. Let's you hit big macro numbers while dropping a load of bloat.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

actually since this thread I think I found some in Tesco and it is its own thing...
will give it ago...

Even here in Canada, there is a difference from the US...we are probably smack dab in the middle of the US vs Europe. Some of our laws are much more strict (especially Dairy, no hormones etc). Generally speaking, where I live (Vancouver), although you CAN get all the junk food, it's not as prominent. I lived in Florida for awhile, and I can tell you that the Sams club down there vs our costco here was night and day haha. I could still get all the stuff I needed down there (and cheaper), but the store was FILLED with junk food and no one had any problem eating all of it. It was weird to me to see adults eat pre-packaged junk food so casually, while to me that was always how children ate, or wanted to eat. Up here, our costco has sample stand with different olive oils, coconut oil, quinoa salads etc.

that being said you can still buy all the junk, it's just hidden away and people truly seem to enjoy eating healthier.

Grits is just boiled corn meal. The closest food one could compare it too is polenta if you don't know what that is you'll have to ask an Italian friend.

I'm in the usa and we are loaded up with fat-asses everywhere. People eat junk food constantly. It's really disturbing.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
105octane
NapsGear